4mysled

Want to ride up to the cottage in Magnetawan. Looking at the IATG I cannot due to closed trails, went onto facebook and the club provides a different story, as of January 31 they say they are open, go onto the Parry Sound district web site , and it appears a little different again. I am so confused, do not want to ride closed trails. Any suggestions or ideas?

thanks 

In our district, it's the district office that updates the ITG. I would start there. They can contact the club if required and update the ITG. If there is a problem with theITGtjey would know too. 

They just posted on FB that the PSSD trail guide was more accurate then the OFSC guide. 

I just looked on the ofsc guide and it looks up to date now. Everything looks open except a small bit of 704 and the C104D 

1 hour ago, reevester said:

They just posted on FB that the PSSD trail guide was more accurate then the OFSC guide. 

I just looked on the ofsc guide and it looks up to date now. Everything looks open except a small bit of 704 and the C104D 

It would make sense that information received directly from the club would be slightly more current than the online ITG. It's the club that assesses the trails and determines the designation. The information is then passed on and the ITG is updated typically at the district level. It's understandable why access to update the ITG is restricted to a relatively small number of people.  It could be chaotic with large numbers of people randomly making updates 

the best is when you can find out directly from the groomer operator 

1 hour ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

From a risk management point of view the clubs are opening themselves up to a lot of liability by posting different trail conditions than those on the ITG. The ITG is supposed to be the gospel on the trail status.

Actually its just a guide as to the status, many times trails are listed as closed and they are open, etc....

"The Trail Status posted here is for general information only and does not necessarily reflect the Trail Status at the time of your ride or the actual local trail conditions you may encounter. "

'This guide is intended only as a reference."

If possible, always good to get first hand status from the local clubs.

Then there is the crown land discussion that a trails goes across or through, road allowances, etc....and of course the private land uses.

Makes these forums, facebook, etc....all that more valuable where club members can and sometime will post their local conditions.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

It would make sense that information received directly from the club would be slightly more current than the online ITG. It's the club that assesses the trails and determines the designation. The information is then passed on and the ITG is updated typically at the district level. It's understandable why access to update the ITG is restricted to a relatively small number of people.  It could be chaotic with large numbers of people randomly making updates 

the best is when you can find out directly from the groomer operator 

The groomer operators  in a lot of clubs / districts have no say in whether a trail is open or closed (unless they happen to be the person responsible for making that call). In our area it is typically a decision made between the trail boss of the club and the groomer captain. The information is then forwarded by email to the person (possibly a volunteer) at the District level whose responsibility it is to change the ITG. Since that person may be working at their job, there is sometimes a lag in updating the ITG getting done.

1 hour ago, Nith Valley Sledder said:

From a risk management point of view the clubs are opening themselves up to a lot of liability by posting different trail conditions than those on the ITG. The ITG is supposed to be the gospel on the trail status.

I don't know that it is a matter of providing conflicting information. Don't forget it is the club itself that declares a trail status. They aren't listing a trail as limited availability or available until it is ready. It's just lag time from the point in time that the designated person from the club actually checks the trail and after establishing it's availability or lack thereof and that information making it's way through the system to the ITG. The OFSC ITG is also stated as a guide.

26 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I don't know that it is a matter of providing conflicting information. Don't forget it is the club itself that declares a trail status. They aren't listing a trail as limited availability or available until it is ready. It's just lag time from the point in time that the designated person from the club actually checks the trail and after establishing it's availability or lack thereof and that information making it's way through the system to the ITG. The OFSC ITG is also stated as a guide.

It is a matter of Limited availability, Available or Unavailable. 

Not Limited from the big tree to uncle Stuckeys outhouse. Or closed from the shinning rock to flap jack Creek.  

Clubs can list trails on facebook , forums or whatever as long as they follow the guildlines for trail status updates... Limited Availability , Unavailable  or Available.

Where there is a problem is when a club lists Limited Availability "please use extreme caution on this section of trail".

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, slomo said:

It is a heck of a lot better than in the old days when you had to check every club's web site. The interactive map saved sledding for me.

I like the ITG as well. It was such a pain trying to find where to ride when a club didn't show conditions on a map but just said C from point A to point B was good. So then you have the large paper map out looking for where they are referring to and then go to another website because the trail just changed clubs then pull out another map because it just changed district then go to the next club website. That is if you knew the club that maintained that section of trail.

On 2/4/2017 at 5:12 AM, slomo said:

It is a heck of a lot better than in the old days when you had to check every club's web site...

That was IF you could find their website. Sites seem to change quite often when a new volunteer took over.

Archived