Gravenhurst Residence Inn

NiagaraKev

Hello all ...

I called the Residence Inn yesterday to ask what the OFSC rate is this year...I was told $137.00 .

Doesn't seem like much of a break for sledders ...

Anyone hear anything different ?

ask to speak to John... he's the manager. Room rates vary depending on the dates you are looking at. i.e. Family Day weekend are much higher than the same room mid week once the long weekend is over

Thanks .....

I checked online. Prices vary widely by date.....sometimes over 200 per night.

Here's an alternative on D Trail between Gravenhurst and Bracebridge: Hart of Muskoka

Kelly Hart is a director with one of the local snowmobile clubs.

http://www.hartofmuskoka.com/our-rooms.html

hart of muskoka.jpg

46 minutes ago, Blake G said:

I checked online. Prices vary widely by date.....sometimes over 200 per night.

I mentioned in another thread (Soupkids invades Toronto) that hotel prices seem to have gone through the roof. Hotels pay a 25 percent premium to the aggregators. Who knew that there'd be enough price elasticity to simply absorb that 25 percent on top of the former pricing.  Haven't started Ontario trip planning yet. Hope we're not in for a surprise. Quebec ads in the magazines are consistent with prior years. Per person, double occupancy with dinner and breakfast. No huge leaps in price. 

40 minutes ago, Canuck said:

I mentioned in another thread (Soupkids invades Toronto) that hotel prices seem to have gone through the roof. Hotels pay a 25 percent premium to the aggregators. Who knew that there'd be enough price elasticity to simply absorb that 25 percent on top of the former pricing.  Haven't started Ontario trip planning yet. Hope we're not in for a surprise. Quebec ads in the magazines are consistent with prior years. Per person, double occupancy with dinner and breakfast. No huge leaps in price. 

When I found myself traveling frequently for business about a year ago virtually all the hotels told me to contact them directly by phone as they could give me a much better rate than booking through the online services. The Midland motel I have used for a number of winter years explained to me that they allocate a set number of rooms to each of the online service providers and those resellers sell at what they believe the market will bear depending on availability. Fewer rooms available for a specific day the higher the rate for that day as it gets closer.  When you pay online to the service they collect the money and pay the lower rate to the hotel.

O2, did that include dealing w/ the chains' actual websites? I know when I've searched for certain motels in specific locations you'd get several hits on various web pages. I usually went to the chain page & searched for the location I was interested in. Phoned for prices & they were similar.

I recommend using Trivago. best way to typically get the lowest rates.

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

O2, did that include dealing w/ the chains' actual websites? I know when I've searched for certain motels in specific locations you'd get several hits on various web pages. I usually went to the chain page & searched for the location I was interested in. Phoned for prices & they were similar.

I often found myself at a Marriott Residence Inn in Montreal as an example. Even going to the Marriott website and looking up availability and pricing for some reason didn't jive with reality. Often we would have a number of our team on site in Montreal and we liked to stay at the same hotel. One of the team tried to book online and got a no vacancy so had to go to another nearby hotel. I had called the hotel direct and got a better price than online on the Marriott website. When checking in that day I inquired about vacancies for my team member. They looked and said they had plenty of vacancies for the window of time we needed.

Sometimes hotel prices make no sense. There was a Marriott hotel and a Marriott Residence on the same piece of property. They were actually connected. There was a shared restaurant in between the two buildings and both had corridors to the shared restaurant. I recall one time the hotel rooms which were exactly that just a room with a bathroom were considerably more expensive than the Marriott Residence Inn beside it which came with a kitchenette, a separate bedroom and a quasi living room with desk.

I stayed there twice last winter. I just checked my receipts and I paid $129.00 plus tax. The total was $145.00. They have nice rooms. all with kitchenettes, plus your right on the trail and lots of parking.

Update ... 

I spoke with John at the Marriott Residence Inn Muskoka Wharf.

OFSC rate starts at 137 plus tax .

Yes ..its pricey but you do get what you pay for ...

Could save 40 bucks a night and stay at Hart of Muskoka , no pool , no hot breakfast no restaurants close . ( Is nice to help out a local , family owned business )

Another good option is the Sleep Inn , Bracebridge , nice rooms , on the trail ...restaurants and fuel close . ( no OFSC rate though )

Come on snow !!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, NiagaraKev said:

Yes ..its pricey but you do get what you pay for ...

It would be interesting to know the hydro costs to keep an indoor pool @ a swimable (is that a word?) temperature & a hot tub nice & warm during the winter months. 

20 hours ago, revrnd said:

It would be interesting to know the hydro costs to keep an indoor pool @ a swimable (is that a word?) temperature & a hot tub nice & warm during the winter months. 

according to my local hot tub dealer, about a dollar a day.

according to my hydro bill about $50 per month!

32 minutes ago, Wildbill said:

plus delivery 

+ whatever extra fees that Wynne Witch can think up next

1 hour ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

+ whatever extra fees that Wynne Witch can think up next

Yeah, what he said ^

I'm wondering if that's why the Apollo in Kap' shut the pool & then the hot tub off (w/o dropping rates) a few years back/

Tory is now talking about an additional tax imposed by the city for hotels stays in Toronto. I wonder if Wynnebag may want to put an additional tax on all hotels in Ontario.

Surprised Toronto hasn't imposed that hotel tax yet. It's not a  tax immediately felt by Toronto residents.  "Just" the folks the visit.  Many cities have it. 

Archived