Good time to buy ?

NiagaraKev

Ok all prices and deals on new sleds seem pretty good right now ..

Looking at Arctic Cat Zr 5000 or the Zr 7000 , $3900 dollar difference ..

Worth it to go to the triple ? 

Thanks for any input..

Here's my input, for what its worth:

The Yamaha motor is very highly regarded.

Having said that, the Suzuki is also a well behaved four-stroke, and very highly regarded - - just not as famous. 125 hp I believe, vs 135 for the Yamaha.

The Suzuki, when turboed, becomes the high hp Cat. The engine is still very reliable when turboed. Can't imagine having much trouble with the naturally aspirated version.

It may be only a personal preference, but I prefer the sound of the Suzuki. I took a zr7000 for a test ride and quite disliked the engine sound.

I think you should test ride each if possible. The extra ten hp of the Yamaha would be noticeable to some degree.

I think I'd save the 3900 bucks.

Thanks for any input..

Depends on what you are after in a sled and the version of ZR that you are looking at getting. i.e. Limited, SnoPro, El Tigre etc. We have two of the ZR7000 El Tigre sleds. I have only had a chance to get out once but it was a great experience even working though it is still the break in period.

The ZR7000 has the Yamaha 4 stroke and the ZR5000 has the Suzuki 4 stroke that Cat has used for a long time. My last sled was a Jag Z1 with the Suzuki 4 stroke. My sense is that the Yamaha has more pep than the Suzuki did but then that could possibly be due to improved clutching on the sleds. I don't believe there have been any real drastic changes to the Suzuki engine in a while.

If you are looking at same models for example the ZR5000 El Tigre and the ZR7000 El Tigre and are looking at a $3900 premium to go from the Suzuki engine to the Yamaha engine it's more than I would be willing to spend since really that is likely the only real difference. One of the things with the ZR7000 is that the battery is under the seat. Not sure about the ZR5000 or not but you need to undo a torx screw to lift the seat to get at the battery.

One thing I have found is that the storage bag that comes with the sled is useless for holding anything of any consequence. If you do a deal I suggest as part of it you have them swap out the standard bag for bag 6639-276 which is much larger and has a zipper for expansion. I also suggest that unless you like the mini windshield you will likely find the sled cold to ride. I swapped out the original windshield for the Cat accessory mid height windshield and find it does an excellent job where as for me the high version would likely put the top of the windshield right about eye level and be an annoyance. I also had them add the Cat mirrors. When you are doing the deal is the best accessory pricing you are going to get.

Look at all the subtle differences from one model to the next. A couple of things that are on the El Tigre are the air shocks and the one my wife was happy about is heated seats.

The ZR7000 has the Yamaha 4 stroke and the ZR5000 has the Suzuki 4 stroke that Cat has used for a long time. My last sled was a Jag Z1 with the Suzuki 4 stroke. My sense is that the Yamaha has more pep than the Suzuki did but then that could possibly be due to improved clutching on the sleds. I don't believe there have been any real drastic changes to the Suzuki engine in a while.

Quite a weight difference between your Jag with the Suzuki and the current Cat chassis with the Suzuki. I think in the order of 80 lbs.

Having said that, no doubt the Yamaha will have a little more zip than the Suzuki when in the same chassis.

Depends on what you are after in a sled and the version of ZR that you are looking at getting.

Good point. Does the 3900 difference represent two identical sleds except for the motors, or are there other additional features with the more expensive sled?

For example, the 5000 is likely an LXR model and the 7000 could be an LXR but might be something in better trim, like a Limited. If both are LXR's, I'd save the 3900 dollars.

Thanks for any input..

NiagaraKev:

http://www.hardcoresledder.com/forums/318-4-stroke-cats/1455626-2014-zr-7000-lxr-2015-zr-5000-a.html

NiagaraKev, you may also want to consider your riding style.

If you like to push hard on rougher trails or ditch bang you may want to go after the 7000 so you can also get a premium shock package.

The 7000 Snopro and RR have air shocks and are set up to be quite stiff.  Eltigre and limited have Fox QS3 shocks which allow you to easily select soft,medium or stiff. 

The ZR 5000 has only been available as an LXR the last few years; it is intended to give a comfortable ride for everyday trail riding.

I hope this helps, I also want to upgrade for next season so I'm considering the same sleds as you and also the 6000 two stroke.  

NiagaraKev, you may also want to consider your riding style.

If you like to push hard on rougher trails or ditch bang you may want to go after the 7000 so you can also get a premium shock package.

The 7000 Snopro and RR have air shocks and are set up to be quite stiff.  Eltigre and limited have Fox QS3 shocks which allow you to easily select soft,medium or stiff. 

The ZR 5000 has only been available as an LXR the last few years; it is intended to give a comfortable ride for everyday trail riding.

I hope this helps, I also want to upgrade for next season so I'm considering the same sleds as you and also the 6000 two stroke.

Did they change the shocks on the 2016 7000 El Tigre? My 2015 El Tigre's came with air shocks

Thanks for all the input...

I'm not looking for a ditch banger  ( I'm old ..lol) so the LXR trim is exactly what I'm looking for ..

Now the plot thickens.. I have found a 2016 Zr 7000 LXR 137"  for $11749.00 compared to the 2016 ZR 5000 LXR 129" for $8949.00

so both with 3 year warranty ....I think the only difference is track length and motor .

I know the 5000 is black and green ...the 7000 is the orange and white ...

Decisions decisions ..  LOL

Unfortunately no opportunity to test ride them .

Did they change the shocks on the 2016 7000 El Tigre? My 2015 El Tigre's came with air shocks

Yes, the 2016 comes with the QS3 shocks. Same as the Ltd.

The guy where I bought my viper from is selling brand new 2016 vipers starting at $11,300 for the ltx dx models. McKees powersport in Delhi. Good guys to deal with...

Just realized your looking at arctic cats..lol

NiagaraKev, I sent you a PM on this topic. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the input...

I'm not looking for a ditch banger  ( I'm old ..lol) so the LXR trim is exactly what I'm looking for ..

Now the plot thickens.. I have found a 2016 Zr 7000 LXR 137"  for $11749.00 compared to the 2016 ZR 5000 LXR 129" for $8949.00

so both with 3 year warranty ....I think the only difference is track length and motor .

I know the 5000 is black and green ...the 7000 is the orange and white ...

Decisions decisions ..  LOL

Unfortunately no opportunity to test ride them .

Where can I find more about the 3 year warranty?  Which dealer offered this?  I ended up putting a deposit on a brand new left over from Country Corners and they only offered me a 1 year warranty?

Where can I find more about the 3 year warranty? Which dealer offered this? I ended up putting a deposit on a brand new left over from Country Corners and they only offered me a 1 year warranty?

That incentive ended the end of February for 15s and 16s.

4 years if you snow check on 17s. That's my plan and I'm getting a decent trade in value on my 14 ZR 7000.

Where can I find more about the 3 year warranty?  Which dealer offered this?  I ended up putting a deposit on a brand new left over from Country Corners and they only offered me a 1 year warranty?

Did you deal with Scott? I found him very good to work with. The extended warranty has to be bought when you buy the sled and it is an option and provided under the Cat umbrella by a third party. Cornerstone

http://ca.www.arcticcat.com/customer-care/

Cornerstone is an independent company providing extended service contracts to Arctic Cat customers under a marketing agreement with Arctic Cat. Arctic Cat does not control the policies or procedures within Cornerstone nor does Arctic Cat participate in Cornerstones Extended Service Contract (ESC) policies or decisions.

The customer is responsible to pay the $50 deductible on each service occurrence during the Cornerstone ESC period. Deductibles do not apply during the original Arctic Cat manufacturer’s warranty period. All claims during the manufacturer warranty period should be submitted directly to Arctic Cat.

I was talking with their service manager a couple of weeks ago about warranty since mine is up the end of next month. He mentioned that they were trying to get something put together for those who didn't buy the extended warranty through the third party when they bought their sleds and them not having a chance to ride them this year due to no snow. Not sure whether they are successful or not.

If someone is offering the extended warranty they are simply including the cost that they have to pay Cornerstone in the cost of the sled they are selling you. You can always buy the extended warranty before you pay for and pickup the sled.

That incentive ended the end of February for 15s and 16s.

4 years if you snow check on 17s. That's my plan and I'm getting a decent trade in value on my 14 ZR 7000.

Thundercat?

Thundercat?

We will see Wednesday or Thursday. Looking like an 8000 sno pro 129 or RR.

Did you deal with Scott? I found him very good to work with. The extended warranty has to be bought when you buy the sled and it is an option and provided under the Cat umbrella by a third party. Cornerstone

http://ca.www.arcticcat.com/customer-care/

Cornerstone is an independent company providing extended service contracts to Arctic Cat customers under a marketing agreement with Arctic Cat. Arctic Cat does not control the policies or procedures within Cornerstone nor does Arctic Cat participate in Cornerstones Extended Service Contract (ESC) policies or decisions.

The customer is responsible to pay the $50 deductible on each service occurrence during the Cornerstone ESC period. Deductibles do not apply during the original Arctic Cat manufacturer’s warranty period. All claims during the manufacturer warranty period should be submitted directly to Arctic Cat.

I was talking with their service manager a couple of weeks ago about warranty since mine is up the end of next month. He mentioned that they were trying to get something put together for those who didn't buy the extended warranty through the third party when they bought their sleds and them not having a chance to ride them this year due to no snow. Not sure whether they are successful or not.

If someone is offering the extended warranty they are simply including the cost that they have to pay Cornerstone in the cost of the sled they are selling you. You can always buy the extended warranty before you pay for and pickup the sled.

Yes, I'm dealing with Scott and he has been pretty good so far.  He offered me the extended warranty through cat and cornerstone but I have yet to make a decision.  I ended up putting my $$$ down on a brand new 2013 1100 Turbo SnoPro RR!  Not sure how or why they still have a 2013 left but its mine now!   He also said they would be doing all of the updates and enhancements to it while PDI'ing it.  Cant wait to see this baby in person as I've done it all over the phone!!!

014269a4-3697-4a06-95f9-44151ffea659.jpg

Yes, I'm dealing with Scott and he has been pretty good so far.  He offered me the extended warranty through cat and cornerstone but I have yet to make a decision.  I ended up putting my $$$ down on a brand new 2013 1100 Turbo SnoPro RR!  Not sure how or why they still have a 2013 left but its mine now!   He also said they would be doing all of the updates and enhancements to it while PDI'ing it.  Cant wait to see this baby in person as I've done it all over the phone!!!

Nice sled.... You obviously like speed and power. You may want to ask him about wind deflectors that go on the side panels. On 0ur 2015 ZR7000 El Tigre's we found that our knees and thighs were getting cold this winter even when it was a reasonable temperature outside. Nothing horrible but noticeable compared to the past sleds. He tells me that his customers report they do make a difference. I'm getting them for our two sleds. Now is the best time (when you're buying the sled) to get a deal on a spare belt as well.

Yes, I'm dealing with Scott and he has been pretty good so far. He offered me the extended warranty through cat and cornerstone but I have yet to make a decision. I ended up putting my $$$ down on a brand new 2013 1100 Turbo SnoPro RR! Not sure how or why they still have a 2013 left but its mine now! He also said they would be doing all of the updates and enhancements to it while PDI'ing it. Cant wait to see this baby in person as I've done it all over the phone!!!

They still have 2013 1100 turbo because they are notoriously bad on belts unfortunately. Make sure clutches are properly aligned and the belt deflection is always perfect.

They still have 2013 1100 turbo because they are notoriously bad on belts unfortunately. Make sure clutches are properly aligned and the belt deflection is always perfect.

Blowing belts!  Thats my main concern with this purchase... Scott at Country Corners told me that the sled will have all of the updates and enhancements done to it to bring it up to a 2014 model.  I'm definitely going to have them go over the sled with me and prove to me the clutches are in perfect alignment before closing the deal.  Anything else I need to know of about these rockets?

Blowing belts! Thats my main concern with this purchase... Scott at Country Corners told me that the sled will have all of the updates and enhancements done to it to bring it up to a 2014 model. I'm definitely going to have them go over the sled with me and prove to me the clutches are in perfect alignment before closing the deal. Anything else I need to know of about these rockets?

I would go on arctic chat forum or hardcore sledders and search them for more in depth info. Try not to scare yourself if you come across horror stories lol. They are great sleds when set up right.

Blowing belts!  Thats my main concern with this purchase... Scott at Country Corners told me that the sled will have all of the updates and enhancements done to it to bring it up to a 2014 model.  I'm definitely going to have them go over the sled with me and prove to me the clutches are in perfect alignment before closing the deal.  Anything else I need to know of about these rockets?

The service manager there, Brock, knows what he is doing and I'm sure he'll have everything done right like Scott said.

Something to think about.  The 7000's are geared 21/49.  The clutch engages at 4000-4200 rpm.  The clutch does not shift out until about 7200 rpm.  This all makes for a sled that revs higher than a 600 2-stoke.  The revs will drive you crazy if you want to cruse around.  100 kph is like 6500 rpm at least and as high as 7000.

I fixed the engagement with a Bearcat blue spring.  Down to 3000 now and won't launch through the front of the trailer.

The gearing needs to go to 24/49 at least but there are not many sprocket and chain choices because of the Borg Warner Hyvo chain.

The clutching needs to be fixed with a adjustable torsional conversion 46/36 progressive helix and spring.  The high tension compression secondary spring is not required due to mechanical vs engine reverse.

This may be way too technical for you but be advised that if you drive 100 - 120 kph that your fuel mileage will be somewhere between 16-18 mpg imperial, not 20 mpg and up like you think you will get.

I will get this sled cruising right but it will take time and snow for testing.  So far I only have 1450 km on my XF7000 LXR.  I really like the sled but the engineering must be so you can hear the sweet engine and make it feel like a 2-stroke.  Efficient, it's not.

BP

Archived