Northern Trip

Mr Fixit

OK guys (and gals) we are planning a four night trip starting from the Soo. Want to hit D-ville for the first night.

Where do we go from here?

Hearst? Kap? not sure of the mileage and what is doable for the next night.

Hoping to loop around thru Timmins, Chapleau and end up back in the Soo.

What is the best route and where can we stay?

We are aggressive riders and obviously don't mind the big miles?

Is this possible in four nights?

OK guys (and gals) we are planning a four night trip starting from the Soo. Want to hit D-ville for the first night.

Where do we go from here?

Hearst? Kap? not sure of the milage and what is doable for the next night.

Hoping to loop around thru Timmins, Chapleau and end up back in the Soo.

What is the best route and where can we stay?

We are aggressive riders and obviously don't mind the big miles?

Is this possible in four nights?

Mr Fixit

check out the mileage logs here!

You should be able to figure out your ride!

snowmobileworld.com/ontario/mileage/index.php

This is a great tool!

Mr. Fixit, We have a trip planned in 3 weeks doing about what you want to do. Assuming the conditions improve and trails open we are riding Soo-Chapleau via Aubrey falls. Chapleau-Cochrane. Cochrane-Hearst. Hearst to Wawa, and wawa back to Soo. These are very doable days if you like to ride long mileage and get started early in the day. If you need help planning places to stay let me know. Dave

4 days is not realistic time frame unless you wanna spend every day at mach 1 not seeing anything but fuel stations and the hotels at night in my opinion. but some people like to ride that way i guess, to each his own. the soo to dub is a big day if you dont have weather or sled issues. then say you rode from dub to kap (almost 300 miles) again, if you have any issues you are not "on schedule". then kap to timmins then on to folyette (maybe chapleau for another big day). then folyette or chapleau to the soo via the F trail, aubrey falls, searchmont ect... is it doable? yes. will it be fun, depends on the group, weather, luck, trails and mechanical issues in those 4 days.

i wish you good luck on the trip whereever it leads you. report how the trip goes, and take lots of pictures. great area you have chosen to ride. ski

Thats a very doable trip as long as the trails and weather are good and no sled problems.

My Nephew and I did the Superior snow loop in one day once. We left the Bristol in Wawa @ 8:00am and were back at 8:30pm. 467 miles for the day. A long but fun day.

Mr Fixit, the only part that I have found that makes a long day is the c101f from Timmins west to Chapleau, it gets tight and you have to slow down. The trail realy isn't that tight, it just seems like it after you have been running the a & c super hiway's. Very doable trip........it doesn't matter where you are, you can always have sled trouble, I always hope for the best and have fun!!!!!!!

I don't see the very doable part but, you could count me out of that trip, I think you would need one more night to make it at all enjoyable, if everything went right. In your timeframe i think you would have to start in wawa or dube. We've ridden that a few times from wawa. to timmins in one day is a little far, hearst the next day is a fairly long day, hearst to wawa is fairly easy day.

we find it better to do an evening ride to chapleau to shorten the trip from wawa to timmins.

good luck

ya, maybe it would be too much, I was just going off trips I've done up there befor. For instance, we left the soo and rode to D-ville first day. D-ville to Hearst the second, hearst to Cochrane third, stayed there 2 nights, then Cochrane to Chapleau, Chapleau to Soo. These were all real easy days, I guess I just figured without going to Cochrane, and heading back south on C it would be no big deal, but I guess not. There was only 2 of us, and we travel pretty well, and had no major trouble either. I'm realy not to bright so I would probably try it, but it wouldn't hurt to have an extra night.

I've been to all the spots mentioned & Skidoo boys schedule spending nights in Dub / Kap / Folyet / Soo makes the most sense to me if Soo to Dub has snow. The first day is a big day & I have always found that that getting away on time the first morning is harder than the following mornings, by the time you've put the stuff you don't want to take in the truck, etc. Wherever you're going up there this year, given the last weeks weather, I'd have reservations made ahead because from what I can see, across the top is the only area that survived the melt reasonably well & I expect alot of riders will be changing plans to head that way.

My Nephew and I did the Superior snow loop in one day once. We left the Bristol in Wawa @ 8:00am and were back at 8:30pm. 467 miles for the day. A long but fun day.

That's impressive. Ran 50KPH the whole way too I'm sure. :?

I'd love to try to do in a day. That is a TON of miles, but I'm sure a nice sunny day in March it could be done. Did you do the hard part first or did you do Marathon to Wawa last? I'm sure the Marathon to White River run was a LONG stretch if you did it late.

St. Louis Dave,

Here is the route we took-Wawa to Dubreuilville (via the Magpie)Dub to Hornepayne than over to Manitouwadge than Marathon than White River back to Dub back to Wawa. I think we may have went over the 50km once or twice? We did this ride in Jan. a few years ago and it was -30f to -15f most of the day. It was a fun day. Won't mind doing again.

Thanks Guys, Looking at it now, 4 days may be too short for that kind of mileage.

If you have bad weather I suppose it would really set you back.

Probably look for a shorter route. Its kinda nice to stop and enjoy the scenery once in a while. :lol:

Probably go Soo to D-ville to Chapleau to ?

Catapult came up with a possible route.

Soo :arrow: Chapleau

Chapleau :arrow: Hearst

Hearst :arrow: D-ville

D-ville :arrow: Soo.

Anyone with ideas on accomidations in these areas?(besides D-ville)

I didn't go over everything here with a fine toothed comb, but I would add that I don't think that Timmins to Hearst is outta line. We did Hearst to Cochrane 10+ yrs ago at -40* in 7 hrs - stopping in Kap for a Subway sandwich and gas. And the trail into Cochrane hadn't been groomed yet and I had a blown rear shock which acted as a pogo stick on every mogul.

---

Ona seperate note - Dare I ask how you guys are git'n to Aubrey from the Soo? Are you just goin' down 556 / Ranger Lake Road? Or is there something that I don't know aboot?

Goin' up to Halfway and gassing up and then running back down to the "Pineal Lake turnoff" intersection and running the logging roads east to Chap would seem to be better to me. :o (You could git screwed up a lot easier heading west if you haven't already went east on that trail - no signage - not a "trail".)

If you really wanted to - you could maybe run up the Whitman to Domtar and run that south down to the Ranger which will spit you out on 556 only a few clicks west of the F trail crossing. Not advisable in mid March or later tho as 556 will be dirt by then! And also some yrs Domtar could be stuck runnig up on the "winged" section too.

We stay at the Companion Motel in Hearst 705-362-4304. Been quite a few yrs now since we've been there - but back then we could pay a bit extra and git our machines in a [somewhat] heated shed and locked up for the night.

---

Ona seperate note - Dare I ask how you guys are git'n to Aubrey from the Soo? Are you just goin' down 556 / Ranger Lake Road? Or is there something that I don't know aboot?

Ox, assuming trails are open, can't a person get to Aubrey by taking the D trail to D106. This route is shown on the 2008 Algoma Sno-plan Map????

Chapleau-Hearst in one day :shock::shock: Going East towards Timmins that would be over 400 miles, going through Duebreville-Hornepayne would be a little over 300 miles doable but the Chapleau-Dueb leg is slow.

Companion Hotel is the place to stay in Hearst. Few bucks extra and you can let your sled sleep in a warm secure building at night.

Chapleau would recommend Valentines B&B or Aux Trois Moulin Hotel

---

Ox, assuming trails are open, can't a person get to Aubrey by taking the D trail to D106. This route is shown on the 2008 Algoma Sno-plan Map????

OK - Comming in from the south then eh? Got'cha. Never been down there - sorry. I didn't realize there was life south of 556. :oops:;)

So then - tell me - how is this 106? Tight/twisty/real hilly - in the trees sorta thing? Or is it flat main logging roads? How much of it is in the "shield" vs the farming planes?

Anything really exciting down there? Any really rugged hydro lines that no man in his right bloody mind would ever venture down? ;)

Chapleau-Hearst in one day :shock::shock: Going East towards Timmins that would be over 400 miles, going through Duebreville-Hornepayne would be a little over 300 miles doable but the Chapleau-Dueb leg is slow.

Companion Hotel is the place to stay in Hearst. Few bucks extra and you can let your sled sleep in a warm secure building at night.

this is where the problem is, in doing it in 4 days. If I was going to do this, there would be 2 long days, Soo to Foleyet first day, but you have to go through halfway, and find that goat path over to Chapleau. I have looked for this trail going south on F, I didn't waste much time looking, and I never found it. This is where you will get screwed, if you get lost on the goat path or can't find it or what ever. You can't do that comforatably going through Aubry Falls, that trail is nothing like the A,C & D trail. So asside from all that the trip from Foleyet to Hearst will be a high mile day, but I don't think it would be that bad, just be up early so your not riding after sundown.

this is where the problem is, in doing it in 4 days. If I was going to do this, there would be 2 long days, Soo to Foleyet first day, but you have to go through halfway, and find that goat path over to Chapleau. I have looked for this trail going south on F, I didn't waste much time looking, and I never found it. This is where you will get screwed, if you get lost on the goat path or can't find it or what ever. You can't do that comforatably going through Aubry Falls, that trail is nothing like the A,C & D trail. So asside from all that the trip from Foleyet to Hearst will be a high mile day, but I don't think it would be that bad, just be up early so your not riding after sundown.

Sounds like a fun vacation, what do you do for fun at home, slam your fingers in doors. lol

just kidding, to each his own.

I like to be riding by the crack of noon and be in my room with a beer by dark, and have lots of FUN. We ussually plan our second day after our first one is done as things never seem to go according to plan. thats the thing with this loop if you don't have a day to spare there is no shortcut, I would plan an extra day and then have some fun riding local trails if your running on time.

Wildman:

I have never been clear to the east end of that "goat path", but the topo maps show the road comming out RIGHT AT Chap. This is NOT a trail on the east end - it is a big logging road.

We got so far and things just started to seem like "people" may be over the next hill, so we buggered back to the safety of the bush. ;)

This is also why I say that it is easier to doo from the west the first time.

A group of us did this route about 6 years ago. Sault to Chapleau - first day, Chapleau to Timmins - second day, Timmins to Kap - third day, Kap to Hornepayne - fourth day, Hornepayne to Wawa - fifth day then Wawa to Sault on the sixth day. Relaxed pace and these distances are roughly 300 +/- km's per day. The trails conditions were perfect and the weather was clear but very cold (-35 ) for the first couple of days.

Another possible route is what 4 of us are planning for Jan 23 - 27. Load the sleds on the snow train in the Sault. Get off the train in Hurst, stay there first night. Second day Hurst to Timmins. Third day Timmins to Chapleau. Fourth day Chapleau to Wawa. Fifth day Wawa to Sault. Snow train hauls you and your sled to Hurst for $220.

Double thumbs up on those suggestions. We've also stayed @ the Riverside in Chapleau & Villa in Hearst (other motels were booked up).

Sounds like a fun vacation, what do you do for fun at home, slam your fingers in doors. lol

just kidding, to each his own.

I like to be riding by the crack of noon and be in my room with a beer by dark, and have lots of FUN. We ussually plan our second day after our first one is done as things never seem to go according to plan. thats the thing with this loop if you don't have a day to spare there is no shortcut, I would plan an extra day and then have some fun riding local trails if your running on time.

Jonesy, I understand your frustration when you look at how far we want to go in the time alloted, but you have to realize, for us to do a trip to this area costs 12 to 1500 dollars. We have no snow here, most winters we have 1-2 weeks of snow, most years you could mow the lawn in the winter. When we take a week off work to go ride, that is exactly what we do........and it is fun for us, we sit in the garage and drink beer and bench race untill we can get time off to go. If I had 3-4 months of winter right out my back door my outlook would be a mirror of yours. No negativity here........just want you to try and understand it from the other side...........for us to ride 3-400m a day isn't all that bad when we ride 2 or 3 good trips a year :lol:

Archived