Advicr re March 12 RAP Tour ?

Blake G

I met three friendly gentlemen early this afternoon, as they unloaded their nice late model sleds at Smith's Ultramar in Port Sydney. They asked me how long it would take to snowmobile to Barry's Bay, and I told them about ten months. LOL

Discussion revealed that they were setting out on the RAP tour. I have never done that tour, nor paid close attention to details about it, but I told them that I thought there would be way too much road running to accomplish the RAP at this time. South of Astorville, I seem to remember a few kilometres of "follow road to trail" and I assume there would be more of the same along the way. The guys said they had experienced some difficulty finding information about current conditions for the route, but they were game to give it a shot. I told them about Ontarioconditions.com and said I would start a thread today, hoping they could check out the site this evening and possibly alter their plans....

So, would the RAP be possible at this point in time, and if so, how many kms of road running would be encountered?

I told the guys there was a lot of road running on D south of Astorville, though I didn't know how much. They thought they might be able to bypass that area some how. They didn't seem too bothered by the prospect of wearing out sliders and runners. I thought they might experience overheating due to road running and icy conditions....

I told the guys there was a lot of road running on D south of Astorville, though I didn't know how much. They thought they might be able to bypass that area some how.

Head towards Powassan. Don't have the trail at present...but there are clear signs on the trail.

Also, were they heading clockwise or the other way around?

Hopefully they're going clockwise and getting Muskoka- north out of the way today, while there's still snow. Hate for them to return in 3 days heading south from North Bay.

You're a good "Sled Citizen" Blake G. Way to help.

I was going to say that I hope they get Hali out of the way first as most of the trails are very muddy and any road sections are dry. Went from great to not so good very quickly.

That might have been a good idea!

I hope they left their truck keys with someone to go and pick them up tomorrow.

:icon_munching:

That would have been a great idea.  Well hopefully they read this post.  Too bad they didn't know about this site before.  But nice job Blake by informing them about it.  There will be a few bad spots for sure along the way.  Darn I hope they change their mind.

there is another post about the seguin. I can't help them but ..........

Wonder how these guys are doing. Trails are looking pretty rough from Hali over to Muskoka area.

Their rig is still there as of this afternoon ..

Most of HCSA went red today. B is still yellow and a couple of minor secondary trails are still yellow. E is red.

Hope they're back if they went clockwise as all of HCSA went red this morning.

Sucks that there tour will probably be lousy, but this is a prime example why you really can't "schedule" a RAP tour. Last winter you probably could have done it on the 3rd week of March. This week the conditions went down the toilet pretty fast w/ the 2 days of +8 temps & not a lot of base to begin w/.

Archived