Help With RAN Tour

Big Pussy

I will be in a group of three starting/ending from McKellar doing the RAN tour next week.  I am looking for suggestions where to get gas (max range 100 miles) and accomodations.  First stop would be Port Loring.  Any areas that should be avoided ?

BP

We had a good trip last winter. Obviously our will be longer than yours.

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12118-our-modified-ran-tour-now-with-pics/

Where are you headed for after Port Loring? After leaving Port Loring to St. Charles before filling (105 miles). There is gas in Noelville, it's closer but I think for us it would've meant an "in & out" to get there from our route. 

For lodging info, check the link in my signature. If any of the group has an Android device, they may want to download the Sledzilla app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sledzilla&hl=en

It doesn't require cell coverage to use.

Also 100 feet off the trail near Field and I beleive still on the RAN tour loop, is Camp Horizon. They have fuel as well and the groomer is currently being parked there as he also does some grooming for the local club. Check out their website if your traveling by that way. I guess if you make the tour longer and go the rail bed, there's always gas at River Valley as well.

There is gas at Henvey Inlet, its 1.5 km off the trail just south of the pickeral river.

I don't recall seeing any signage for it on our trip last winter. Is it on Hwy 69? I've been on Google earth & can't find anything in that area.

Also 100 feet off the trail near Field and I beleive still on the RAN tour loop, is Camp Horizon. They have fuel as well and the groomer is currently being parked there as he also does some grooming for the local club. Check out their website if your traveling by that way. I guess if you make the tour longer and go the rail bed, there's always gas at River Valley as well.

Yes, there was signage along the trail pointing to Camp Horizon last winter. On Lake Tomiko for Okimot Lodge as well (they have had gas in the past).

Is there gas @ the Portage/McCoys on Trout Lake? The trail goes thru their yard.

I will be in a group of three starting/ending from McKellar doing the RAN tour next week.  I am looking for suggestions where to get gas (max range 100 miles) and accomodations.  First stop would be Port Loring.  Any areas that should be avoided ?

BP

Keep and eye out for us, We are doing a modified RAN Tour starting Sunday. There will be 7 of us, 4 Polaris, 2 Ski Doo's and one Yammie... Doing Huntsville, North Bay, Sudbury for a couple of days, Temagami, North Bay, Mattawa, Sundridge...

Hope to see you guys out there on the trails...Have a great trip!!!!

Nunz

Thanks for all the help.

I think Sunday, we will go to Port Loring for lunch and gas, Then to Noelville for gas and stay at the Countyside Motor Inn.

Monday up to the Sportsman's Lodge for luch and gas, then on to Sturgeon Falls for the night at the Comfort Inn.

Tuesday up to the Rock Pine fro gas and lunch, then down to the Dinner Bell for the night.

Wednesday no plan yet.

I think these distances are OK for the big T-Cat.

BP

I believe I read somewhere on OC that the Sportsman"s Lodge wasn't open for lunch this year unless you were staying there. Maybe someone from the area could chime in.

Thanks for all the help.

I think Sunday, we will go to Port Loring for lunch and gas, Then to Noelville for gas and stay at the Countyside Motor Inn.

Monday up to the Sportsman's Lodge for luch and gas, then on to Sturgeon Falls for the night at the Comfort Inn.

Tuesday up to the Rock Pine fro gas and lunch, then down to the Dinner Bell for the night.

Wednesday no plan yet.

I think these distances are OK for the big T-Cat.

BP

then on to Sturgeon Falls for the night at the Comfort Inn.

Hopefully the snow coverage in SF is OK, the town had removed the snow piles from the side of Nipissing St. down to the CTC & ESSO stations the day we were there. There's street running to get to the motel (nice place by the way). Call ahead to see if there is signage (which was sketchy) to the motel.  We ordered pizza for dinner (ask at the front desk).

If you're looking for beverages, the LCBO agency store in Field is probably the easiest to get to. You sled right past it. Noelville has a Beer Store & LCBO, but I don't think they're close to the trail. In SF, the LCBO is on Hwy 17 west of the CTC & ESSO towards the bridge.

I believe I read somewhere on OC that the Sportsman"s Lodge wasn't open for lunch this year unless you were staying there. Maybe someone from the area could chime in.

True:

http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12661-sportsmans-lodge-kukagami-lake-update/?hl=sportsman%26%2339%3Bs

You might want to check Pine Falls Lodge east of there, near the TOP C/D & C206D jct. 

http://www.sleddersworld.com/departments/ontarioDB/view.php?rec=1642

We used to do our week sled vacation in Field. Once I went to Sturgeon Falls and back but it was a pain back then to get to anything. Not sure if it's changed in last couple of years.

Pine Falls looks like a nice spot, never stayed there but ate there a cpl times. Camp Horizon has cottages and fuel and maybe meals if you call and ask. Right in the trail. Nice spot. Does Rock Pine still have accommodations ? Or did it ever? I know there is a restaurant there and gas at one time.

We used to do our week sled vacation in Field. Once I went to Sturgeon Falls and back but it was a pain back then to get to anything. Not sure if it's changed in last couple of years.

Pine Falls looks like a nice spot, never stayed there but ate there a cpl times. Camp Horizon has cottages and fuel and maybe meals if you call and ask. Right in the trail. Nice spot. Does Rock Pine still have accommodations ? Or did it ever? I know there is a restaurant there and gas at one time.

We staged 1 of our trips from Pine Falls, nice little cabins & good food.

Rock Pine has an ad on the D11 map listing accommodation. no website http://www.sleddersworld.com/departments/ontarioDB/view.php?rec=878

We staged 1 of our trips from Pine Falls, nice little cabins & good food.

Rock Pine has an ad on the D11 map listing accommodation. no website http://www.sleddersworld.com/departments/ontarioDB/view.php?rec=878

We stopped in there on the way home from our New Years trip to Cochrane, The previous owner had sold it but bought it back, the food was really good never checked out the rooms but would stay there for sure.

Archived