Sportsman's Lodge - Kukagami Lake - UPDATE

revrnd

I read on another site about changes up there. I emailed George & this is his reply:

Hi Kris

You have read correctly, it was a very hard decision to make, I have strugled with the lunch part every year

with the amount of staff needed to support it and the rising cost of food, it just is not feasible to provide this service.

Gas will still be available to all that need it and we are still open to guest for lodging and meals as this is easier for me to know

exactly what and how many staff will be needed.   

I will miss all the great people that took the time to stop here for lunch, I will be opening up in the future for special events/ rides and hope to see you all at that time.

George

The min wage increases that are coming are bad news for these types of business in the north. I wish them luck!

The cost of hydro does not help either

That is true, but they use to use mainly wood to heat the place in the past, which helped allot. I am sure taxes are higher too! Just getting tougher for seasonal business that are off the beaten track.

People that traditionally went to these places are ageing and now go to Florida. Little or no effort is spent to attract a different clientele. The 80 / 20 rule (however debateable) dictates 80 percent of your business comes from 20 percent of your customers. If no attempt is made to bolster the 20 percent due to customers dropping out for whatever reason, less reliable revenue.

All that being said, are you going to patronize this establishment over March Break?

I have plans with at least one buddy and it might be the Sudbury area, as I've always wanted to ride Manitoulin and I can get there in days ride.  Just have to find accommodations on the island for two nights.  Faceman is helping with that.

Archived