Monday Jan 26 Port Sydney to Kearney and back

Blake G

I'm meeting my buddy Tim Horton at the Ultramar in Port Sydney tomorrow morning at 930. We plan to run up D to Sprucedale and across the Sequin to Kearney for lunch at the Iron Skillet, then return by around 3.

We would welcome any company from OC'ers. Short notice, but aren't those sometimes the best trips?

might want to try some of the feeders on the way up to the sequin Blake ,dont think all the moguls on D will be flattened out by AM 

Drat. Our groomer started the D this evening, so I was kind of hoping it would be the same up the line.

I guess we could take 50, Lake Vernon and the 80's trails. What would you recommend as a route to Kearney from the north end of Lake Vernon?

85 - 81 - 83?

Sounds like the Almaguin club got hammered with traffic this weekend, trails in Kearney may be in bad shape. May want to check with Giddy Up as to the conditions.  This is on the Almaguin website:

"It will take at least two days to get trails back into shape after the weekend. Mild weather horrendous amounts of almost non stop traffic has basically tore every trail to the dirt. High speed aggressive riders blow snow off into the bush in all the corners and dig huge holes were ever there is a hill or mogul. The only way to fix it is wait till the traffic slows down after the weekend or else grooming is a big waste of time and money. By Monday or Tuesday everything should get back to normal for normal riders. Traffic now starts Friday morning and does not let up till Sunday. What we need is for more clubs to open there trails instead of just leaving them yellow to deter traffic.

I would just avoid D as much as possible , your 80 series sounds about right , you have a couple choices to change your route on your way up depending on what you see at each stop , cold tonight, the ones that are not beat will be real nice , we are waiting mid week to make our next run ,may head baysville way 

Thanks guys. We'll have to be flexible tomorrow. But I am optimistic.

Blake. Have to work or I'd join u buddy.. Take the 85 to 83 up to Seguin .. Rode it this afternoon and IT was mint mint.. Take the 88to the lake Vernon crossing as well ..

Cheers !!

Thanks Nunz. I like the words "mint mint" so 85 to 83 it shall be.

Martin..

The brunch yesterday was fantastic the boys were truly impressed with your place...See you soon...As always thanks for your hospitality!!

Nunz

Blake. Have to work or I'd join u buddy.. Take the 85 to 83 up to Seguin .. Rode it this afternoon and IT was mint mint.. Take the 88to the lake Vernon crossing as well ..

Cheers !!

37 to D to 82 / 85 / 83 D was great Saturday.

Heading South from Kearney was not great.  D was beat up until the town of Kearney then the rail line was great until 95.  95 South started good until Clear Lake, then was terrible to D102B and D102B was absolutely awful all the way to Deerhurst, so bad we were looking for road options to ride.  D102B south of Deerhurst (HGR) was excellent.

Tim and I saw Nunzio as we were unloading the sleds at the Ultramar. Nice of him to drop in for a chat. Unfortunately he was on four wheels and on his way to work.

D was a little bumpy heading north out of Port Sydney so we went up 50, 88 to Lake Vernon, then the 80's trails to the Seguin. 80's were great. Seguin across and into Kearney was quite good if you kept a reasonable speed.

Lunch at the Iron Skillet was excellent as usual. Big burger (home made bun) and tasty sea food chowder. Unfortunately I was too full to finish the chowder because of the three donuts I had for an appetizer. Adjusted the rear preload and took some donuts home on the back of the Arctic Cat.

A perfect 5 hours.

Always good to see u buddy.. Much better when I'm on the sled but what can u do.. Glad you guys had a good ride today.. Those trails are the gem..and the Skillet what more can u say.. My brother couldn't believe how good the brunch was..

We rode D in Pt sydney yesterday also Blake , A little bumpy is a very polite way to put it, my back is still sore , never seen them so moguled ,had to get off D and went to Vernon lk much nicer , turned around there and came back down to mary lk and seen the coppers on sleds at the lk entrance ,they just looked at our stickers , he said all sledders coming through were pissed at trail conditions on the d trail , on the other side ofMary lk  they just finished grooming and it was still choppy , Im assuming it was so moguled they couldnt get it all in one pass , unless other parts get snow everyone will be here on weekends beating up the trails ,looks like more off trail for this guy 

With such high volumes one has to expect that the trails are going to get destroyed. A lot of guys don't have any respect the amount of work involved to make them nice yet bitch right away when they are ruined.

With such high volumes one has to expect that the trails are going to get destroyed. A lot of guys don't have any respect the amount of work involved to make them nice yet bitch right away when they are ruined.

Yeah and they contribute to the running of the trail. Fricking goons on xrs roosting for 30feet

Yeah and they contribute to the running of the trail. Fricking goons on xrs roosting for 30feet

lol, its just not goons on xrs's, I think people are off the rail this year because of lack of snow every where else, all the trail hero's are getting their permit money out of the trails

Got that right ScottyD  Incredible amount of sled traffic up here!  Trails are getting beat up badly on the weekends with lots of warriors.  If you can ride mid-week that's when it's best!  Almaguin has 3 groomers going almost non-stop to try to keep on top of it....but there is so much traffic that it gets groomed and then ZOOOMED right back to moguls in no time flat!  

Got that right ScottyD  Incredible amount of sled traffic up here!  Trails are getting beat up badly on the weekends with lots of warriors.  If you can ride mid-week that's when it's best!  Almaguin has 3 groomers going almost non-stop to try to keep on top of it....but there is so much traffic that it gets groomed and then ZOOOMED right back to moguls in no time flat!  

ya i know, was up from tuesday to sunday, tuesday to friday the trails were mint, couldnt believe by 2pm saturday how trashed stuff was, Jack , Ryan and Kay do a great job trying to keep our trails in top condition

Thanks to Muskoka Man and Nunz for helping Timmy and me get pointed in the right direction yesterday ! !

Hey Blake, see you're getting better with that go-pro. Is that a one-way trail, sure looks narrow.

Still need practice with the camera, but I look forward to it.

That is part of Trail 82. Not one way, but certainly quite narrow.

Archived