Lake Effect SNOW!!! - Huntsville/Port Sydney

rockerdan

went by the beach on mary lk yesterday and saw fresh sled tracks heading out on the lake and a few ice fisherman out also. appeared solid with no slush but I would give it more time before heading out with a sled, will try to get out and drill some holes and get some accurate measurements today. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

went by the beach on mary lk yesterday and saw fresh sled tracks heading out on the lake and a few ice fisherman out also. appeared solid with no slush but I would give it more time before heading out with a sled, will try to get out and drill some holes and get some accurate measurements today. 

Good post. 

The ice isn't good enough yet???...after all that cold we've had? Or is there just that much snow up there?!

The ice isn't good enough yet???...after all that cold we've had? Or is there just that much snow up there?!

That much snow.....

went across today , no slush and frozen, was surprised at the condition really,but didnt really slow down enough to inspect much ,not saying it is safe for all to do,i was on my little skandic and had it to the bar, no flaming please 

didn't get a chance to go check the ice thickness yesterday but went by the beach and was surprised at the number tracks heading across.

went across today , no slush and frozen, was surprised at the condition really,but didnt really slow down enough to inspect much ,not saying it is safe for all to do,i was on my little skandic and had it to the bar, no flaming please 

you didn't happen to go across the lake to muskoka rd 10 to see if the gate is open to get down to the lake?

gate is closed but a trail goes off to the side ,lots of tracks across the lake ,trails heading to baysville way are limited but rough,i did the 55 feeder trail,there is tons of snow there so one more pass and the trail should be good ,D trail from 37 up to bridge going under highway is nice 

sounding good.. last week they had fencing all-around the gate so you couldn't slide past like I remember... unless this little trail is further along one way or the other?

Guys,

Thanks for the info...would like to Drop in Gravenhurst, ride north Bracebridge/Huntsville, then over to Dwight/Dorset, riding in a loop back to Gravenhurst.

Any suggestions from what you know is open, safe and good riding ? Can we skip the lakes yet ?

Thanks in advance fellas,

I was just talkin with my buddy today and he says there's around 3.5' snow in Kearney Emsdale area!!! I'm sure most already know this, but for those who don't!

Did some more Hydro line today,snow is deep ,awsome ditchbanging 

Huntsville over to Dorset...can you run the lakes yet ?

Lob is a big deep and sketchy lake with lots of currents and varying ice. There is tracks from Huntsville to Dorset, but with the amount of snow on the ice I would wait another week.

Lob is a big deep and sketchy lake with lots of currents and varying ice. There is tracks from Huntsville to Dorset, but with the amount of snow on the ice I would wait another week.

likely very good advice 

If you are fast enough you can. Defiantly don't want to stop heard there is a fair amount of slush from the weight of snow on ice.

In all honesty I would stick with aar0n's post and stay off LOB and any other large lakes.  Stay safe and alive.

In all honesty I would stick with aar0n's post and stay off LOB and any other large lakes. Stay safe and alive.

4" white 4" black ice on lob

Yesterday we stooped at the top of 54, South Portage on LOB. There were tracks heading out onto the lake, but again why risk a crossing on a big lake like this.

I prefer waiting until it is packed down like a highway 

Lake Vernon Staked on Saturday I think. I started accessing my place On Peacock Bay via lake. Still lots of snow and spots of slush.. but appears safe. I ran out halfway on the lake and saw the stakes all the way.. WOO HOO,,, will be nice and quick now to run down for a delicious butter tart somewhere....... Rode With Nunz Saturday and had a great day up to Kearney and back thru Port.

Luckily didn't see too many yahoos...saw lots of sleds tho...hope that slows a little as more areas are opening up.

Lake Vernon Staked on Saturday I think. I started accessing my place On Peacock Bay via lake. Still lots of snow and spots of slush.. but appears safe. I ran out halfway on the lake and saw the stakes all the way.. WOO HOO,,, will be nice and quick now to run down for a delicious butter tart somewhere....... Rode With Nunz Saturday and had a great day up to Kearney and back thru Port.

Luckily didn't see too many yahoos...saw lots of sleds tho...hope that slows a little as more areas are opening up.

Weren't you riding with a yahoo??  LOL  Had to say it.

Archived