OFSC Groomer tracking units

Elliotgroomer

I have $200K worth of faulty power strips that were delivered to my site. Some work some don't for monitoring and measuring power consumption properly. The manufacturer is paying all of the shipping costs as well as our costs for internal handling for us to return them to their site in California and refunding what we paid for them.

They are providing the courier pickup and documents. Don't see why these tracking devices would be any different.

I would think it is 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dan.. where are they on sale? Might get a few for the club.

Luc check your email....

Yes the gps is only for tracking. The Spot is a nice unit but you need to put it on manual and that doesn't work for reliable groomer tracking. We need a system what is always on or what goes on when the groomer has started. Yes I agree, the 15 minutes sucks, the 3 minutes if the BSM system worked fine so that has to be increased. Also the OFSC would work with groomer zones, if you are moving the groomer out of the groomer zone, it would not count as a grooming hour. This doesn't work if you ping every 15 minutes. Still I can't understand how we can receive that much not working gps units. Seems we are going from BSM to another problem system. This sucks big time.

Thanks

Greg

SPOT 3 and SPOT Trace can be hooked up to external power and auto tracking when the vehicle moves.  With SPOT Trace, it is always on.  AND it will send an alert if/when it is turned off.  5 Minute tracking interval....  I'm not sure where the issue is?

How much did the OFSC spend of OUR permit dollars on the existing system??

Yes the gps is only for tracking. The Spot is a nice unit but you need to put it on manual and that doesn't work for reliable groomer tracking. We need a system what is always on or what goes on when the groomer has started. Yes I agree, the 15 minutes sucks, the 3 minutes if the BSM system worked fine so that has to be increased. Also the OFSC would work with groomer zones, if you are moving the groomer out of the groomer zone, it would not count as a grooming hour. This doesn't work if you ping every 15 minutes. Still I can't understand how we can receive that much not working gps units. Seems we are going from BSM to another problem system. This sucks big time.

Thanks

Greg

So with groomer zones if you go to help a neighboring club you get zip? Great idea NOT 

So with groomer zones if you go to help a neighboring club you get zip? Great idea NOT

I would hope the zones would be District boundaries. If it was club to club grooming associations would have a tough time......

SPOT 3 and SPOT Trace can be hooked up to external power and auto tracking when the vehicle moves.  With SPOT Trace, it is always on.  AND it will send an alert if/when it is turned off.  5 Minute tracking interval....  I'm not sure where the issue is?

How much did the OFSC spend of OUR permit dollars on the existing system??

less then the yearly tracking subscription to BSM

The issue is the spot is not hard wired to the power unit and only turns on with ignition power, it can run on self supplied power. To be a reliable information source, it has to be powered off ignition voltage.

For those that are skeptical about our risk management approach, the insurance cost has dropped dramatically, it is not all doom and gloom. By putting these systems in place and reducing insurance costs, it helps keep permit prices lower. For those that are bashing about another failed system, it was tested in groomers last year without failure, we can not control everything, it is no different then buying a new Ski-doo and have to have it reflashed before you even drive it, crap happens.

less then the yearly tracking subscription to BSM

The issue is the spot is not hard wired to the power unit and only turns on with ignition power, it can run on self supplied power. To be a reliable information source, it has to be powered off ignition voltage.

For those that are skeptical about our risk management approach, the insurance cost has dropped dramatically, it is not all doom and gloom. By putting these systems in place and reducing insurance costs, it helps keep permit prices lower. For those that are bashing about another failed system, it was tested in groomers last year without failure, we can not control everything, it is no different then buying a new Ski-doo and have to have it reflashed before you even drive it, crap happens.

The new ones are not hard wired either 

We tried a Trace unit last year for one of our groomers.  It was installed without external power and ran from January through to September on one set of batteries.  In September, it was brought to the AGM where I upgraded the firmware and turned it off.

From what I understand, this new system is supposed to be similar with similar battery life.

I think the difference is in the security and reporting of the tracking data.

We tried a Trace unit last year for one of our groomers.  It was installed without external power and ran from January through to September on one set of batteries.  In September, it was brought to the AGM where I upgraded the firmware and turned it off.

From what I understand, this new system is supposed to be similar with similar battery life.

I think the difference is in the security and reporting of the tracking data.

that sounds like a reasonable explanation SJ. It was probably explained in the presentation, but by that point the ailments from my hangover trumped my attention span.

In spite of the recall, I have more faith in these units than the old trackers.  These should be cheaper to operate and work better than the old ones.  The simple fact that they are satellite based rather than cellular fuels my optimism.

I really don't know how anyone could have expected the old system to work!  We don't have consistent cell coverage in our area and we are 'southern Ontario'. :wtf:

In spite of the recall, I have more faith in these units than the old trackers.  These should be cheaper to operate and work better than the old ones.  The simple fact that they are satellite based rather than cellular fuels my optimism.

I really don't know how anyone could have expected the old system to work!  We don't have consistent cell coverage in our area and we are 'southern Ontario'. :wtf:

all true but is it worth the cost for fifteen minute tracking 

Both the OFSC and AtlasTrax better must ensure that this new system is 99% perfect on the second try or don't roll it out.

The natives are restless and another technical snafu in a long line of OFSC/Supplier technical snafus will not go over well.

I think we are in agreement on this.

Both the OFSC and AtlasTrax better must ensure that this new system is 99% perfect on the second try or don't roll it out.

The natives are restless and another technical snafu in a long line of OFSC/Supplier technical snafus will not go over well.

I think we are in agreement on this.

ya think?

Suddbury Trail Plan has used Spot for how many years

Why are they affraid of SPOT???

Beside Greg who thinks everyone is cheating the system for more permit $$$$

why not use something that works? Or is someone in tight with the other providers?

We use Solara here in Manitoba apparently 5 or so yrs now

http://solaradata.com/

Do you guys use them to track groomer speed? I know we do as a club in the south always gets dinged for speeding over the alotted speed limit

Suddbury Trail Plan has used Spot for how many years

Why are they affraid of SPOT???

Beside Greg who thinks everyone is cheating the system for more permit $$$$

why not use something that works? Or is someone in tight with the other providers?

Atlas Trax offers spot as well, so I wouldn't think it is an inside deal to go the way we went. There where multiple systems tested last year, this is the one that was picked, I don't know what the reason was for this system. Newfoundland has used these trouble free for the last 3 years. It is probably just a software glitch with some units.

Just got the word today from the District that each Club is responsible to send all of their units back to AtlasTrax, which makes logistical sense.

Interesting to see how long the turnaround is, if in fact they are positive about a software glitch in many of the original units.

Hard to believe we are doing this when January is almost here.

Keep posting here as to when your Club gets them returned.

We just killed a whole bunch of silicone trees attaching them to the roof and now do it all over again.

Just got the word today from the District that each Club is responsible to send all of their units back to AtlasTrax, which makes logistical sense.

Interesting to see how long the turnaround is, if in fact they are positive about a software glitch in many of the original units.

Hard to believe we are doing this when January is almost here.

Keep posting here as to when your Club gets them returned.

We just killed a whole bunch of silicone trees attaching them to the roof and now do it all over again.

Leave the cradle on the roof just take out the unit

Archived