more early trail openings

Wildman

Todays OFSC makes opening a "new" trail a process

X2

even old trails that where only closed a few years and haven't changed... only brush that has grown. I guess they know what's good for us... we are not the one's having to go to court for stupid people suing us

X2

even old trails that where only closed a few years and haven't changed... only brush that has grown. I guess they know what's good for us... we are not the one's having to go to court for stupid people suing us

Todays push is on rationalization they must have hired someone from CP

Yeah I was glad to see Longlac to have trails open, I sure wish they had a link to Hornepayne. there is not missing much and I think it a logging road that is there. The old trail is still there.

And I believe there is still gas in Hillsport, along with Accommodations, which would maybe encourage more traveling traffic.

Yeah I was glad to see Longlac to have trails open, I sure wish they had a link to Hornepayne. there is not missing much and I think it a logging road that is there. The old trail is still there.

It's logged on both sides of Nagagami Lake, I've driven almost to the lake on the quad from the West side, all 10-20 year old clearcut, good solid logging roads.  Some beaver swamps to worry about but decent terrain otherwise.  I'd bet you can drive all the way to the lake on a bike in the summer from the East side.  It'd be an easy route to groom, assuming someone wants to do it.

Would be interesting to know when certain clubs (central / southern) opened last year and what's been the average over the past five years or so...  I realize that last year was the exception.  Looking forward to my first ride.

From what I was told by some of the other operators that are still with the Hornepayne club from our side the run is 10-12 to Hillsport and no easy way to split up the trip for multiple operators.  Not overly challenging but long.  Not sure how it is from the other side.  

From what I was told by some of the other operators that are still with the Hornepayne club from our side the run is 10-12 to Hillsport and no easy way to split up the trip for multiple operators.  Not overly challenging but long.  Not sure how it is from the other side.

is it 10-12 one way or round trip Matt? The last time I rode it was in 09 I believe, and I can't honestly really remember the trail that well, I thought it was kinda twisty, I know it was on the north side. Still way less undertaking opening this route rather then the old A107.

My understanding was one way.  Apparently it was our longest trip and doing the A North up to Hwy 11 is about 7 hours one way.  They often spent the night at Hillsport when grooming the trail.  

it's approx. 60-70 miles (not km's) from hornepayne to Hillsport  one way, on winter trails depending on the route and logging. it would be a lot to groom round trip in one shot. Ski

Thank you Matt17 and Ski for the info!!! The thing that would of been good instead of take all the groomers from D-16 was to keep one and post it at hillsport and groom both sides. Groom one day stay over night or wait a few days then drive it back... do the same in the other direction.

Thank you Matt17 and Ski for the info!!! The thing that would of been good instead of take all the groomers from D-16 was to keep one and post it at hillsport and groom both sides. Groom one day stay over night or wait a few days then drive it back... do the same in the other direction.

I think with time that could still happen Luc. Manpower could be a hurdle though. I think if Longlac/Geraldton keeps up the forward momentum, It could happen. There where just so many issues with the former district, it would have been hard to do it any other way. I don't think anyone expected that there was the dedication to move this far forward, and good for Michel and his very small crew. They actually remind me of you and Reg, Luc. The small crew that never gave up. They will win the battle if they keep doing what they are doing, and make the right decissions. They also fight permit compliance, many of the sleds in their group ride photos have no permits, but it is a work in progress. They have sold 104 permits, pre Nov 1, I say good for them.

I heard that most of the groomers from d16 were junk

That is what I heard as well Bill, in fact the BR that I ran across north of Hillsport in 09 was blocking the trail, and waiting for the hydraulics to cool so they could continue on. It was extremely rough looking, one hell of a thing to be operating in the middle of nowhere.

I saw them parked at the Shop Industrial in Sudbury.... I have pictures of them I will post them when I find them... they where looked sick. but there must of been on in the group that could of been good.

I think with time that could still happen Luc. Manpower could be a hurdle though. I think if Longlac/Geraldton keeps up the forward momentum, It could happen. There where just so many issues with the former district, it would have been hard to do it any other way. I don't think anyone expected that there was the dedication to move this far forward, and good for Michel and his very small crew. They actually remind me of you and Reg, Luc. The small crew that never gave up. They will win the battle if they keep doing what they are doing, and make the right decissions. They also fight permit compliance, many of the sleds in their group ride photos have no permits, but it is a work in progress. They have sold 104 permits, pre Nov 1, I say good for them.

I heard that most of the groomers from d16 were junk

I've talked with Michel several times this year.  He is one dedicated SOB and the real reason behind my "Plea for Help" thread.  They are truly trying to get these trails open again and need some help from all of us.  If you have been there you know how desolate the area is, for those of you that haven't been there, you should visit if the trails open again.

BTW - I also heard that there was group that ran the old A107A last year, breaking trail all the way.  If anyone knows of this happening again, please send me a PM, I would love to be able to ride it again.

1724100_755586281177442_2408711762521790

They're working on the Hearst trails too, but since everything is so top-secret here I can't say when any trails are going to open.  I've offered 2 years in a row to volunteer, took the Groomer training course last year, had a very aggressive meeting with the club president last spring after a questionable e-mail I sent to district head.  I'll not offer anymore, but I will absolutely share any news or info I can about our trail status and accomodations.  

Don't ask me my opinion about the Hearst club and execs .....  :baghead:

Archived