Can anyone help me?

UsedtoSkidoo

Trying to fing out relaibility issues on BRP 800R now...................

Still very undecided!

UTS...for whatever its worth, two issues with the 800R in the XP that I am aware of (a friend has one):

(1) clutch alignment (thus the blowing belts issue)...alignment is obviously fixable by the dealer, and apparently BRP has spec'd a different belt which works better; and,

(2) driveshaft failures, which are addressed through replacement or welding to reinforce...worth asking the dealer if there is a service bulletin on that (probably should be a recall...)

Also, if you haven't already done so, go to DooTalk and do a search on both issues...lots of info. there, as I recall.

My buddy has had neither issue happen to him (touch wood), and he loves it. Personally, I prefer the 600 in the XP, because the sled is so light, it gives you lots of jam for trail riding, and the 600 is a lot smoother engine. The 800 really is superior for higher speed stuff.

Good luck.

Thanks IR.........I havetried Dootalk last night and I went back 22 pages on the XP forum with nothing on the 800r reliability. Just the belt and drivshaft issues you have mentioned.

I dont really like the 600hosdi motor. The motor doesnt seem to have enough power and runs almost like an electric motor.

I loved my 800 pteks power. But hate the reliability.

Thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you went back so many pages and didn't find anything because they are an excellent motor. with mild clutching they are rockets from what I've seen and hear. the belts were an issue even with the ones out last year, but you see guys on the rev going through a belt every few hundred miles - alignment, heat, and setup!!!

the nytro is really twitchy off the line, like it wants to attack but so was the phazer.. they are quick, but not fast like an 800 IMO, at least not seat of the pants.

they are more inline with a 600, which is why they race against them... definitely quite a bit stronger than the doo 600sdi.. if that was what I was looking at I'm not sure its a tough decision, but all sleds have their problems and issues..

also there is no longer the 600sdi other than the expedition I believe.. etec all the way and this is the system the 600ho mill was designed for and its been used in this motor for 4-5 years during testing. this system rocks in the marine industry and for 100lbs less than a nytro... I dont know... at the same time I really didn't find the nytro heavy at all.. quite the opposite, it was a light, fun flicking sled.

I really don't like the gauge on the nytro, it looks cheesy and cheap... also having to press the tiny reverse button on it is good old japaneese engineering.. don't know why they can't use a real gauge from the apex.? I like having a real tach and speedo..

at the end of the day the demo nytros I rode left me excited to get back on my $10,000 less doo doo 800, but if I was dropping 14k I'd look hard at one. with a turbo or supercharger the thing would flat out rip...

...did you ditch a rod in the ptek? lean mids with a pinging sound? that should have been your clue that the motor was running lean... .020 added shim and bigger pilots seem to be the answer.. I have the extra 0.020 shim in my 800ho and its running fat, but reliable. my y pipe bolts backed out but thanks to dootalk I caught them along with my aftermarket reeds boots that failed too.... it never left me stranded once and I paid 10k less than someone who bought new; which is a lot of pistons...

UTS, I have the 800R, and so far it's been fantastic. I think I have around 2000KM without any real issues. Still using the original belt. I still liked the riding position of the original Rev better, but I guess I'm in the minority on that :confused: The one thing I need to adjust/work on is the rear is too soft when backing up, the suspension will collapse even backing off the trailer. While riding the rear is perfect. Still only have the single set carbides up front and haven't felt the need to add a second set yet. Gas mileage is great, oil consumption is a tad high but not enough to back it off and have too worry about engine problems. As far as frame durability goes, we will need to wait and see. I had the first year 600HO Rev with 8000 miles and had ZERO problems with it. So far the first year XP is doing the same.

Get an XP!

Thanks Reved,

I found a good deal on a 600hosid X package but Im really reluctant to go that route!

No 800x packages around so far!

Oh and I like the original Rev position so your probably not alone!

you went back so many pages and didn't find anything because they are an excellent motor. with mild clutching they are rockets from what I've seen and hear. the belts were an issue even with the ones out last year, but you see guys on the rev going through a belt every few hundred miles - alignment, heat, and setup!!!

the nytro is really twitchy off the line, like it wants to attack but so was the phazer.. they are quick, but not fast like an 800 IMO, at least not seat of the pants.

they are more inline with a 600, which is why they race against them... definitely quite a bit stronger than the doo 600sdi.. if that was what I was looking at I'm not sure its a tough decision, but all sleds have their problems and issues..

also there is no longer the 600sdi other than the expedition I believe.. etec all the way and this is the system the 600ho mill was designed for and its been used in this motor for 4-5 years during testing. this system rocks in the marine industry and for 100lbs less than a nytro... I dont know... at the same time I really didn't find the nytro heavy at all.. quite the opposite, it was a light, fun flicking sled.

I really don't like the gauge on the nytro, it looks cheesy and cheap... also having to press the tiny reverse button on it is good old japaneese engineering.. don't know why they can't use a real gauge from the apex.? I like having a real tach and speedo..

at the end of the day the demo nytros I rode left me excited to get back on my $10,000 less doo doo 800, but if I was dropping 14k I'd look hard at one. with a turbo or supercharger the thing would flat out rip...

...did you ditch a rod in the ptek? lean mids with a pinging sound? that should have been your clue that the motor was running lean... .020 added shim and bigger pilots seem to be the answer.. I have the extra 0.020 shim in my 800ho and its running fat, but reliable. my y pipe bolts backed out but thanks to dootalk I caught them along with my aftermarket reeds boots that failed too.... it never left me stranded once and I paid 10k less than someone who bought new; which is a lot of pistons...

Is there anything you don't think your an expert on? :crazy:

We have a ski setup that works excellent on the big four strokes . No darting great handling !

Bill set me up with new skis on '06 Yamaha Attak. No more darting.

Worth looking into. Give Bill a call @ Rosseau Road Enterprises, PM Wildbill at oc.com.

Crabby Monkey Alert ! :P :P

Oh I do lose patience for over opinionated people who lack substance. :coffeenose:

Is there anything you don't think your an expert on? :crazy:

Just to clarify...it is a 600 class sled.The reverse is a lever on the right side (where the recoil would be) :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Didn't pay close to 14k , closer to the 10 you're talking about :):)

Don't have a problem with the gauges.

:poke: :poke: :poke:

The truth the manufacturers do not want you to know

They all build good sleds now and they all need tuning to fit you and your riding style

True, but what fun is that :wtf:

The truth the manufacturers do not want you to know

They all build good sleds now and they all need tuning to fit you and your riding style

What's that famous line???

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!!" :)

Go Blue!!! :poke:

You should definatly phone Brian in Hensal. He let my wife try her new phazer before we bought it at the start of this season. His price was the best and Brian was awsome to deal with. I live three hours from him and he had the sled ready for me the night that I came eventhough I was not sure if the wife would like it. He even stayed late to close the deal when I got lost going there. Brian is your man. Brians Service Center 1 519 262 3634.

We got our two new Apexes from Brian too and they're not kidding, he IS the best dealer anywhere! He stayed late for us too and he got me a Taz jacket even when the Choko company said there weren't any around anymore. He'll go out of his way to make his customers happy and that's really saying something for a dealer. And his prices are THE best ! Give him a call for sure. Four strokes are the way to go! We have put 3450 km on them since the middle of January! And they haven't even used a drop of oil! Amazing Yamahas!

You should definatly phone Brian in Hensal. He let my wife try her new phazer before we bought it at the start of this season. His price was the best and Brian was awsome to deal with. I live three hours from him and he had the sled ready for me the night that I came eventhough I was not sure if the wife would like it. He even stayed late to close the deal when I got lost going there. Brian is your man. Brians Service Center 1 519 262 3634.

We got our two new Apexes from Brian too and they're not kidding, he IS the best dealer anywhere! He stayed late for us too and he got me a Taz jacket even when the Choko company said there weren't any around anymore. He'll go out of his way to make his customers happy and that's really saying something for a dealer. And his prices are THE best ! Give him a call for sure. Four strokes are the way to go! We have put 3450 km on them since the middle of January! And they haven't even used a drop of oil! Amazing Yamahas!

I had two weeks for my Skidoo that I did use a drop of oil either! :banghead:

I'll bet it was real good on gas during that period too.

But real hard on the liqour cabinet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't pay close to 14k , closer to the 10 you're talking about :)

While I'm sure you can do better at the dealer, MSRP on the cheapest Nytro is $12,999 (for the '08, I think we can assume the '09 will be more). Whereas you can get an '09 500SS in the REV-XP chassis for $8,949 MSRP.

Is the Nytro worth $4000 more? Maybe. But at that rate you could afford to buy a new ski-doo almost twice as often so even if it lasts half as long it wouldn't matter, you'd already be on to your shiny new one instead of your crusty old Yamaha. :P

That said, if money was no object, I'd definitely be on a Nytro XTX next year.

AWESOME!! :rotflmao:

While I'm sure you can do better at the dealer, MSRP on the cheapest Nytro is $12,999 (for the '08, I think we can assume the '09 will be more). Whereas you can get an '09 500SS in the REV-XP chassis for $8,949 MSRP.

Is the Nytro worth $4000 more? Maybe. But at that rate you could afford to buy a new ski-doo almost twice as often so even if it lasts half as long it wouldn't matter, you'd already be on to your shiny new one instead of your crusty old Yamaha. :P

That said, if money was no object, I'd definitely be on a Nytro XTX next year.

I would think the 600sdi would be a better comparo..price and performance wise. OR you could look at the new 4-tek offering from BRP....

I would think the 600sdi would be a better comparo..price and performance wise. OR you could look at the new 4-tek offering from BRP....

Except you can't buy a 2009 MXZ with the 600SDI. You have to go the Expedition, which is hardly in the Nytro class. :)

But I'm more interested in the minimal costs to get into a 600 class sled. I'm sure the fully decked out Ski-Doo will cost as much as the loaded Yamaha, but when you're concerned about price, as berrypriate seemed to be, you're not going to be buying a fully loaded anything.

Except you can't buy a 2009 MXZ with the 600SDI. You have to go the Expedition, which is hardly in the Nytro class. :)

But I'm more interested in the minimal costs to get into a 600 class sled. I'm sure the fully decked out Ski-Doo will cost as much as the loaded Yamaha, but when you're concerned about price, as berrypriate seemed to be, you're not going to be buying a fully loaded anything.

Ah...I guess it's an Etech now (which up until 09 was only available on a boat anchor :coffeespit: ). Point taken about the price. This is were SD has a definite advantage...they make a model for everyone!! I've seen alot of those 500ss's around this year.

........, but when you're concerned about price, you're not going to be buying a fully loaded anything.

I'm very cheap when I'm fully loaded ;)

We know! Mr. Quarters!

Archived