LOB?

aar0n

Chris Reid told a good friend of mine that speeds over 100 mph greatly reduce the life of a track with or without studs, sooo, if you spend as much time north of 100 as I do, you will need a new track before 10,000 miles, right Bill, lol, and BTW I was about to pass you, lol. There is a formula for track degradation maybe Sean will chime in I forget it. (thanks for the tow WB)

4000 miles and my track is like new. But then again, im ocd about my sled

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1200 for a new track ? holy smokes

I would presume that includes the labour to install it too! I have seen tracks in the 800 range, add 3 hours labour and it adds up quick. Now you know why I don't add studs anymore. Had

similar issues. I would consider a track manufactured with the studs already in place. That seems like the way to go now.

Is it studded! I put 11,000 miles on an in studded track, no issues. Ruined a studed one in 6000 miles.

I do not recall the exact formula, however it was something to the effect that the track diminishes 3% each time the odometer sees the north side of 100mph. Of course, to a certain point, although I guess that point is when the track goes kaboom. A wise man once told me that you are living on borrowed time at 10,000 Kms on a track.

The ripsaw tracks have too  soft a lug allowing the lug to fold and excessive stress on the stud causing in my opimion track failures. Camoplast has now come out with a firmer ripsaw 2 and a cobra track to replace these. 

Is it studded! I put 11,000 miles on an in studded track, no issues. Ruined a studed one in 6000 miles.

yeah it is. studs wore out before lugs so my track is mint. I will be replacing studs next season

dont. Put a new track on it if you want to stud or buy a prestudded track. The track is old and worn

track is mint 

the track is old and is starting to deteriorate.    putting studs in a 10 year old track with 4000miles is asking for trouble. 

True. Ill leave the ones I have. There fine, just a little dull

Blake, great pics thanks!

Was a pleasure to meet you and get out for the day touring around LOB....Mondays are great that way, no pressure to get anywhere in time!

Hope to get out again soon for some riding for sure.

Dan

On my new 800etec, i removed the stock ripsaw on day one to exchange it  and installed the new ice attak XT 1.22.   The previous ice rippers were prestudded ripsaws which are soft fingered lug that would easily fold over upon acceleration.  So when the new ice attak XT came out i placed a call to my camoplast rep for the inside scoop.   Very glad I went with this new track, Ive been a traditional studding guy since 1989(no old jokes please!) and while the new ice series tracks will not hookup in a drag race as well as traditional studs, they do hookup decently for normal riding, safety in keeping the sled straight on glare ice is very good, ran mine up to 109mph on gps when we had the thaw and lake went glare, worked very nicely.  Has more scratch lines and less weight by far then traditional.   Also less labour and biggest thing for many is NO WORRY OF TEAROUTS.  I have never had a tearout in all my yrs studding but often hear the horror stories.

also these type tracks the studs dont dull or round over...buds with 6000km on track still sharp points.  Traditional studs round over after 1000miles with road runs.

Some pics...stock ripsaw VS new ice attack xt with very stiff lugs.  The XT 1.22 actually measures taller lugs then the ripsaw 1.25.  35lbs with studs is incredibly light.

Dan

post-23178-0-98354400-1391532697_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-40938100-1391532708_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-56089200-1391532759_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-32800300-1391532771_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-19996300-1391532790_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-98099100-1391532846_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-15106500-1391532871_thumb.jpg

Great pics Dan. You have that sled stripped right down! You are brave, I would not touch a  brand new sled. I would be too scared to mess things up. But seeing you've been studding since 89 (not an old joke) you know what your doing by now

Great pics Dan. You have that sled stripped right down! You are brave, I would not touch a  brand new sled. I would be too scared to mess things up. But seeing you've been studding since 89 (not an old joke) you know what your doing by now

haha.....i started working on sleds when i was 12 yrs old.

Working on the doo is a pleasure, the one that was a large pain in ass was when I blew up my apex with nitrious, pulling that 4 banger was like pulling a toyota 4 cyl from a car.....had to install new piston and rod, now that was a big job.  

haha.....i started working on sleds when i was 12 yrs old.

Working on the doo is a pleasure, the one that

was a large pain in ass was when I blew up my

apex with nitrious, pulling that 4 banger was like

pulling a toyota 4 cyl from a car.....had to install

new piston and rod, now that was a big job.

Yammie's are tanks, especially that apex.

• 4 weeks later...

Friday, February 28, 2014:

Can anyone provide up-to-date Lake of Bays running conditions?

Thank you. I didn't think there'd be slush or deep snow right now, but wanted to check. Happy Trails.

LOB is in great shape! Rough in spots so be careful! 

Thank you, aar0n. I'm planning on shooting across from Whiskey Bay to Haystack Bay and Dwight some time before noon. If you're out and about send me a pm, and maybe I can buy you lunch!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but a couple buds of mine showed me another spot to get on/off LOB, this time its on other side of baysville(east side of narrows and town bridge) 

I have not had time to go over there and document it with my GPS yet but plan to get over this week during the week, for times we may want to take the 102 shortcut, and run across to other side of baysville.  Basically a faster way down toward kushog or raven by the super trail without having to deal with town.

Or if you wanted to come over from Dorset on SE shore and get into Baysville for gas or food.

Dan

Very interesting, Dan. I look forward to hearing more about this.

Archived