LOB?

aar0n

I enjoy reading your posts rockerdan. I'm staying near south portage and the information you share is very useful.

I agree with you Aaron, tall pines is doing a great job of grooming their trails.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

normally id say ill head out....Ill see if i can get my riding buddy out in these temps!...Might be tough but will see.

I hear ya, and agree that extreme cold detracts from riding enjoyment. We do plan to go out on Wednesday and Friday, but we will have to contain our enthusiasm by leaving later in the morning and shortening our route. Better riding days will come along before too long.

I enjoy reading your posts rockerdan. I'm staying near south portage and the information you share is very useful.

I agree with you Aaron, tall pines is doing a great job of grooming their trails.

Re:Leaf I want you to have the best possible time when your staying in the area. Here are the GPS from the ASC and the Tall Pines groomers, so you can plan your routes accordingly and get MINT trails everytime. Quick tip, stay away from d102b north and south of deerhurst. Be sure to check out the Baysville Superhighway, D101b from Dwight to Kearney (just my personal favourites) and Tall Pines. 

http://tallpines.org/find-the-groomers.htm

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0i99U6g7qFRQWkQNDzvnGlBcpaqL7itLk (for some reason they dont give this out but I have it somehow thanks to 00vert's trout-lake.com)

You probably already know all of the info above but just to be sure I posted it. Also, I have added anybody as friends that are around LOB so you could stalk my friends and ask them to ride if you want. 

Aaron 

Thanks for your help Aaron. I'm having a great time staying here. I wish I could stay all winter.

Re:Leaf I want you to have the best possible time when your staying in the area. Here are the GPS from the ASC and the Tall Pines groomers, so you can plan your routes accordingly and get MINT trails everytime. Quick tip, stay away from d102b north and south of deerhurst. Be sure to check out the Baysville Superhighway, D101b from Dwight to Kearney (just my personal favourites) and Tall Pines. 

http://tallpines.org/find-the-groomers.htm

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0i99U6g7qFRQWkQNDzvnGlBcpaqL7itLk (for some reason they dont give this out but I have it somehow thanks to 00vert's trout-lake.com)

You probably already know all of the info above but just to be sure I posted it. Also, I have added anybody as friends that are around LOB so you could stalk my friends and ask them to ride if you want. 

Aaron 

Wow Aaron those are great links to realtime grooming !   cool stuff,

Do you know are there other clubs doing this?  

thanks for this!

Dan

Wow Aaron those are great links to realtime grooming !   cool stuff,

Do you know are there other clubs doing this?  

thanks for this!

Dan

Dan, I have links on my web site at http://trout-lake.com to the Algonquin club and Tall Pines groomer activity too, and hope to add a few more soon.

Jim

Dan, I have links on my web site at http://trout-lake.com to the Algonquin club and Tall Pines groomer activity too, and hope to add a few more soon.

Jim

Hi Jim....

very nice site you have there!   Just wondering, where is trout lake?   I know of a few of them and want to be sure where you are located.

Very very cool page and great links!

thanks very much!

Dan

Hi Jim....

very nice site you have there!   Just wondering, where is trout lake?   I know of a few of them and want to be sure where you are located.

thanks very much!

Dan

just of paint lake road. also called chub lake. right by my place on lob

apparently the bubbler is crazy right near the trail down past the gas station at the docks in Dorset.

When I passed it on saturday, there was still a safe, clear trail to the gas station rear entrance. The bubbler was reaching way out to the right (if your looking from the bridge). 

Hi Jim....

thanks very much!

Dan

I agree, his site is AWESOME! His webcams are great (especially the snow stick thing). Kudos to you for getting the ASC groomer tracking, because I cannot find that anywhere other than your site. 

Is it safe to run the narrows on lake of bays toward Dorset, as you head by narrows lake rd? Is that open water? Never been on that end of the lake before, always went up to Dwight and around. I see you went right thru there rocker Dan? I have gone up by the 76 marker out to the highway 35!

Is it safe to run the narrows on lake of bays toward Dorset, as you head by narrows lake rd? Is that open water? Never been on that end of the lake before, always went up to Dwight and around. I see you went right thru there rocker Dan? I have gone up by the 76 marker out to the highway 35!

The narrows are fine, you'll find that they are well traveled, I rode down that way on Sunday.

If you're coming down from Dwight across the Thompson portage and down Haystack Bay, there's a thin spot down by Fox Point where it's shallow between the point and the little island - it's usually easy to spot and small enough to work around without any problems.

If you want to meet up for a run someday I'd be happy to show you the route down the lake.

Jim

The narrows are fine, you'll find that they are well traveled, I rode down that way on Sunday.

If you're coming down from Dwight across the Thompson portage and down Haystack Bay, there's a thin spot down by Fox Point where it's shallow between the point and the little island - it's usually easy to spot and small enough to work around without any problems.

If you want to meet up for a run someday I'd be happy to show you the route down the lake.

Jim

Couldn't have said it better myself. You will find that the dorset narrows are quite rough. 

Couldn't have said it better myself. You will find that the dorset narrows are quite rough.

Ok thanks! I know it is open water by the bridge! Two years ago it was wide open as far as I

could see. After the narrows you can keep going until you can get off near thar restaurant thar over looks the bay?

Ok thanks! I know it is open water by the bridge! Two years ago it was wide open as far as I

could see. After the narrows you can keep going until you can get off near thar restaurant thar over looks the bay?

Coming in from the narrows keep to the right of the open water under the bridge, there is a well traveled trail up through the back of the gas station that will take you on to the main street through town and let you hook up with D101B

Coming in from the narrows keep to the right of the open water under the bridge, there is a well traveled trail up through the back of the gas station that will take you on to the main street through town and let you hook up with D101B

If you want to get to the restaurant that overlooks the river, you will have to exit by the gas station and turn left on main street towards the light. You will see it. 

I'm not sure what restaurant overlooks the bay. There is northern d'lites is the ice cream shop (close in winter). There is also the fish and chip place (closed in winter). So your only options are Zachary's and Firey Grill, both mediocre. 

Firey grill now under new ownership called "trading bay dining company" (see pic)

Only a few hundred feet directly EAST of the shell gas station, its over the hill so you cannot see it from gas station.

Its over and down right at the bridge that crosses the narrows/open water.  Also you can ride up the road where restaurant is out to hwy35 and back onto d101b.

Dan

post-23178-0-90254400-1390409116_thumb.jpg

thank god they changed owners. It was terrible before. Now it's ok. Unfortunately it's priced for the summer crowd so it's quite expensive

Oh deer. A common sighting in the LOB area. Oops sorry I can't upload my picture. I'll work on that when I get home.

thank god they changed owners. It was terrible before. Now it's ok. Unfortunately it's priced for the summer crowd so it's quite expensive

actually i think the pricing is slightly less then before, the burger is good for 9.99 with fries or salad.

But i got the chicken club wrap last week and wow it was yummy!   Much better then the same wrap I got at the Bush co in dwight, which was cold and sorta looked premade and small, where the dorset one was hot and much larger.   But the Fries are much better at dwight IMO...lol

nothing like a good meal when sledding!

Dan

actually i think the pricing is slightly less then before, the burger is good for 9.99 with fries or salad.

But i got the chicken club wrap last week and wow it was yummy! Much better then the same wrap I got at the Bush co in dwight, which was cold and sorta looked premade and small, where the dorset one was hot and much larger. But the Fries are much better at dwight IMO...lol

nothing like a good meal when sledding!

Dan

bush co is horrible. and it makes me furious to see sledders drinking martinis

bush co is horrible. and it makes me furious to see sledders drinking martinis

me too, no sledder worth his salt drinks martini's...    their caesar's are excellent though

its a good spot with cute & friendly waitresses, some decent food, not the best but hard to find much better on the trail.

me too, no sledder worth his salt drinks martini's...    their caesar's are excellent though

its a good spot with cute & friendly waitresses, some decent food, not the best but hard to find much better on the trail.

lol your bang on about the waitresses. the owner knows how to attract his market. 

has anybody ever seen the incredibly sketchy "Mohawk Grill" right of d1-2b just before bush co. 

So the access Dan is taking about lines up with trail 52 or is it the next point below it?

Archived