LOB?

aar0n

So the access Dan is taking about lines up with trail 52 or is it the next point below it?

no idea. dan???

im seriously interested in this trail. wondering if i just headed in that direction would I see the tracks and just follow those?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys.....im not sure specifically what we are talking about?   52 trail is near my house.(mary lake)

Or do you mean that little shortcut off LOB up to HGR 102?

Gotta look at my GPS track maps....as there are some other tracks going off nearby onto a boatramp of the rd there, but you want one that exits at the dock at a cottage, and up his lawn.

Next time I go ill try to take a pic of the dock and cabin there where we go up....I will probably come home this way after the chilifest after we head down to little hawk resort and then back home up LOB.

Dan

lol your bang on about the waitresses. the owner knows how to attract his market. 

has anybody ever seen the incredibly sketchy "Mohawk Grill" right of d1-2b just before bush co. 

We stopped there last weekend. Before you knock a place you should check it our first.

Great food and freshly made. Takes a bit to prep the food but worth it. The owner Greg has been the main Chef at all the places in Dwight, Cookhouse, Boiler Room etc. Was tired of not getting paid. A very nice Guy to talk to while awaiting your order. 

Check it out. Way faster service than the Cookhouse for sure.

We stopped there last weekend. Before you knock a place you should check it our first.

Great food and freshly made. Takes a bit to prep the food but worth it. The owner Greg has been the main Chef at all the places in Dwight, Cookhouse, Boiler Room etc. Was tired of not getting paid. A very nice Guy to talk to while awaiting your order. 

is this a new place?   Not sure i know where it is, and I always like trying new places!

We often end up at boiler room(bush co) just cause everyone knows where it is and its easy.

thanks!

Dan

guys.....im not sure specifically what we are talking about? 52 trail is near my house.(mary lake)

I looked at the map and there are two sharp bends on the trail d101b on west side of lake. Just wondering if the access is at corner hgr trail 52 and d101b or do you have to head south abit on d101b and then there is another bend at the corner where you cross the road to get onto lake?

Gotta look at my GPS track maps....as there are some other tracks going off nearby onto a boatramp of the rd there, but you want one that exits at the dock at a cottage, and up his lawn.

Next time I go ill try to take a pic of the dock and cabin there where we go up....I will probably come home this way after the chilifest after we head down to little hawk resort and then back home up LOB.

Dan

Too often the cooks and wait staff get stiffed at restaurants 

guys.....im not sure specifically what we are talking about? 52 trail is near my house.(mary lake)

Dan

great thanks an we are talking about the trail from lob. You gotta new pic dan! Love i

great thanks an we are talking about the trail from lob. You gotta new pic dan! Love iy

WOW! Never judge a boom by its cover. I will stop there next time for sure

• 2 weeks later...

I'm supposed to be able to pick up my Cat at Arnie's late tomorrow morning. They fixed the hole in the heat exchanger, and replaced all my studs with different studs that have larger heads, and apparently are the correct type for my single ply track. So hopefully, no more studs will pull through the track and put me out of commission.

The weather is supposed to be favourable, so before I load my sled onto the truck I hope to take an afternoon run onto LOB and possibly up to Dwight, Portage Bay, and perhaps Deerhurst on the way back to Port Sydney. If anyone in that area is looking to go for a spin, please feel free to let me know.

I'm supposed to be able to pick up my Cat at Arnie's late tomorrow morning. They fixed the hole in the heat exchanger, and replaced all my studs with different studs that have larger heads, and apparently are the correct type for my single ply track. So hopefully, no more studs will pull through the track and put me out of commission.

The weather is supposed to be favourable, so before I load my sled onto the truck I hope to take an afternoon run onto LOB and possibly up to Dwight, Portage Bay, and perhaps Deerhurst on the way back to Port Sydney. If anyone in that area is looking to go for a spin, please feel free to let me know.

good luck likely track should have been replaced 

Well, Arnie said that was one route to take - - 1200 for a new track. I said I was ok with that, but he said he thinks my original track is still in good shape. The replacement studs are going in the same holes, and the studs have different heads and are not quite as long as the ones I had.

The track and studs looked awesome to me when I bought the sled in the fall from Aberfoyle's. There were no tear outs, so I guess the original owner must not have been having as much fun as me.

Well, Arnie said that was one route to take - - 1200 for a new track. I said I was ok with that, but he said he thinks my original track is still in good shape. The replacement studs are going in the same holes, and the studs have different heads and are not quite as long as the ones I had.

The track and studs looked awesome to me when I bought the sled in the fall from Aberfoyle's. There were no tear outs, so I guess the original owner must not have been having as much fun as me.

1200 for a new track ? holy smokes

Well, that was the number mentioned, but that might have included a new set of studs, which I needed whether I got a new track or kept the original one. The conversation took place over the telephone. Basically I asked Arnie what he thought I should do, and he figured my track was still in good shape and I would be fine with the right studs. No guarantees, of course. LOL

Ive made the switch from traditional studding(Since late 80s) to this season running the new ice attak XT.  What a great track with fairly close traction(maybe not quite for drag racing) perfect for lakes and icy spots, really loving it so far, and mostly no worries of tearouts.   Several others have over 6000kms I know on them and they hold up well, and actually stay pointy sharp with wear which is the best part...

My old studded tracks would be sharp for the first 500 miles or so then round over and while they would hold up fine, were rounded and have little bite on glare ice. Not so with these ice tracks.  

Best part is I get them for under 600 my cost.  ;)

Blake, I should be free tomorrow....You will be right down the lake from my place at arnies

Dan

Apparently the issue with my sled is that it has a single ply track but was studded upon original sale with studs intended for a 2 ply track. I think Arctic Cat went to a 2 ply track the following year on the TZ1 Turbo Touring model, but by then the studs were already installed.

I guess I should be inspecting my track more frequently. It looked perfect when I bought the machine. I didn't know I had an issue until the heat exchanger incident last Saturday. It is quite possible that I may be driving the sled a bit faster than the original owner.

Apparently the issue with my sled is that it has a single ply track but was studded upon original sale with studs intended for a 2 ply track. I think Arctic Cat went to a 2 ply track the following year on the TZ1 Turbo Touring model, but by then the studs were already installed.

I guess I should be inspecting my track more frequently. It looked perfect when I bought the machine. I didn't know I had an issue until the heat exchanger incident last Saturday. It is quite possible that I may be driving the sled a bit faster than the original owner.

exactly same issue with all the DOOS, they come with single ply so DOO will only allow a specific stud(large head) for these tracks.  So you should be fine with the new studs.  

A year like this year with snow often studs are barely needed.   sometimes i love them and others hate them.

Dan

Would have been better in the long run to deal with the issue and have it over 

RockerDan, I notice from your GPS maps that when you enter LOB near your buddy's driveway and want to go to Dwight, you would go past Beauview Cottage Resort, and then along the west edge of Bigwin in the channel between it and the peninsula containing Port Cunningnton Road, and up through Haystack Bay, rather than sticking to the extreme west shore of LOB and going up past Bona Vista. Is that correct?

from the shortcut off d102b, to head north to dwight would be just shoot directly north up the main section of lake...and then grab the normal tracks that run from portage rd out around to dwight.

also ive been in contact with ASC and they have staked PEN lake and are to be staking LOB from portage rd to dwight beach very soon, might even be done now.

Dan

Rockerdan, here's a public thank you for taking the time today to give me an orientation tour of the Lake of Bays and trails between it and Port Sydney.

I was overdue for such a lesson. I've driven around LOB by car and truck for almost forty years, but today was my first time actually ON the lake. Today's weather and the snow conditions were excellent.

Running the lake will now put Dwight and Dorset within easier range for trips out of Gravenhurst. I'll be able to take my buddies up in that area, and save tons of time scooting between restaurants.

Here's the Portage Bay picture I took of you and the other gentlemen this afternoon. 

post-22473-0-65958700-1391476703_thumb.jpg

And here's the photo of the many deer we saw along Thompson Portage Road, as we came off the lake at Haystack Bay.

Usually when I see deer it's only one or two, and they run away so quickly that photos are not an option.

post-22473-0-02699600-1391477235_thumb.jpg

And here's the photo of the many deer we saw along Thompson Portage Road, as we came off the lake at Haystack Bay.

Usually when I see deer it's only one or two, and they run away so quickly that photos are not an option.

attachicon.gif20140203_134202.jpg

Thompsons portage always has TONS of deer. This photo only caught about 3 of 10 I saw last weekend 

Looks like you a had great time. Must have gone right by my place on Black Point 

post-23341-0-58973500-1391482118_thumb.jpg

Chris Reid told a good friend of mine that speeds over 100 mph greatly reduce the life of a track with or without studs, sooo, if you spend as much time north of 100 as I do, you will need a new track before 10,000 miles, right Bill, lol, and BTW I was about to pass you, lol. There is a formula for track degradation maybe Sean will chime in I forget it. (thanks for the tow WB)

Chris Reid told a good friend of mine that speeds over 100 mph greatly reduce the life of a track with or without studs, sooo, if you spend as much time north of 100 as I do, you will need a new track before 10,000 miles, right Bill, lol, and BTW I was about to pass you, lol. There is a formula for track degradation maybe Sean will chime in I forget it. (thanks for the tow WB)

You were about to what??? LOL  and your welcome

Archived