LOB?

aar0n

Hi, 

Only way of getting to trails is the lake. Has anybody ridden lake of bays in the past couple of days from bigwin to dorset. Or does anybody have any updates on ice thickness. 

I'm thinking it should be safe but just looking for confirmation

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I unloaded at Blue Water acres and could hear the sleds out on the lake, it was dark, will check it out this weekend,,,

LOB is good to go....road it from end to end yesterday, today with the new snow will be even better....it will get a ton of traffic this weekend for sure.

Dan

LOB is good to go....road it from end to end yesterday, today with the new snow will be even better....it will get a ton of traffic this weekend for sure.

Dan

awesome and thanks!!!

just ripped across it...it was mint 15" of ice ice (8" black, 6" white)

slush in a couple spots but otherwise awesome

where you at,we are here for the week,blue water acres

ripped across with a 340,awesome,btw

ripped across with a 340,awesome,btw

k i sense sarcasm. and it was fast enough for me (64mph). 

I went from Black Point to Dwight beach and from Bigwin to Dorset. All great ice, except for some rough spots in the Dorset narrows and SLUSH in Dwight beach bay

I think cehyoopers was legitimately saying it was awesome. Cuz it is awesome. The fastest sled I ever had in my first life as a snowmobiler was a 294 TNT Silver Bullet. It would go about 64 mph downhill, and that was mighty awesome.

So what is LOB like in terms of visible paths? I assume nothing is staked? On the trail guide I see a route from South Portage Road to Dwight. Are there other requent access points that could be used to get from the Port Sydney side across to Dorset with a discernible path that can be followed?

I went from Black Point to Dwight beach and from Bigwin to Dorset. All great ice, except for some rough spots in the Dorset narrows and SLUSH in Dwight beach bay

no sarcasm meant sorry if you thought that, you riding today and if so maybe we can hook up,,,

I think cehyoopers was legitimately saying it was awesome. Cuz it is awesome. The fastest sled I ever had in my first life as a snowmobiler was a 294 TNT Silver Bullet. It would go about 64 mph downhill, and that was mighty awesome.

So what is LOB like in terms of visible paths? I assume nothing is staked? On the trail guide I see a route from South Portage Road to Dwight. Are there other requent access points that could be used to get from the Port Sydney side across to Dorset with a discernible path that can be followed?

Oh woops my bad. Very hard to tell in writing. But yeah, it thought it was pretty awesome. 

LOB is currently in unbelievable condition. If you ride a path that has been ridden by 2 or 3 previous sled it is mint. Now in terms of access from Port Syndey, you are best to talk to rockerdan, but I will tell you what he told me. Where d101b takes a 90degree turn beside LOB, he has a buddy who has a cottage and he uses that as his access to LOB. Personally, I have never gone to the left of Black Point, as I deem it to be unsafe and highly unpredictable(because of the Dam). Once on the Lake from rockerdans buddy's place, you will see a highway of tracks that run right across the lake to Pancake island. Once at Pancake island, you have the option to turn left up into Haystack bay towards Dwight. To get to Dwight, there is a noticable portage that a cottager has allowed sledders to use. After crossing the portage, where you will see MANY MANY deer, you are now in Dwight Beach bay. Follow the highway to the right, you will get to Dwight, which now has fuel at the Beacon. Turn left and you will get to South Portage, which now has a bubbler. At South Portage there is another portage which takes you into Peninsula Lake and then over to Deerhurst. So you could actually access LOB if you take HGR's trails to Deerhurst or Mary Lake.

LOB is NOT STAKED BY ANY CLUB, but used to be staked by South Portage marina, that is why you see that route on the map. I don't know if you will see that this year because of his current situation.  

Thanks aar0n!

Grew up on Lake Muskoka so I can get around pretty good on Muskoka, Rosseau and Joe, but the only lakes I've been on around Huntsville are Mary and Vernon. This winter I hope to experience LOB, Pen, Fairy, etc.

Ceyhoopers is not known for sarcasm he was probably enjoying your enthusiasm. If he has an issue he is way more direct than that 

Ceyhoopers is not known for sarcasm he was probably enjoying your enthusiasm. If he has an issue he is way more direct than that 

Good to know thanks. Saw your ad in the news maps I picked up today. It looks great

Take up Ceyhoopers on his offer to ride it will be entertaining 

I can't :( My parents said I have done enough sledding this weekend. (150km is too much?) UGH!!

to bad you cannot ride today,surf is up!!

Grew up on Lake Muskoka so I can get around pretty good on Muskoka, Rosseau and Joe, but the only lakes I've been on around Huntsville are Mary and Vernon. This winter I hope to experience LOB, Pen, Fairy, etc.

Interesting Blake!.....i grew up on these lakes(Mary,vernon,fairy,LOB ect)  and have just recently started running down lake muskoka from the top at the marina on hwy118 down to the boston pizza at the warf.   Its all new to me and I would love to learn more about it along with Jo and rosseau.

Some day we will have to hookup and share info!

LOB is very easy typically with Highways of tracks running from 3 points for the most part.....south portage,dwight,and dorset.   Dorset has the river(open water) where is historically run by sledders since I was 18 or so....great restaurant there, easy to see tracks to get off at gas station.  Dwight also easy to get off, lots of tracks to follow, head up rd for gas(60/35hwys) and great food at bush co.  South portage is cool cause you can run down portage road across to PEN lake which has deerhurst and hidden valley, all easy to find and lots tracks.

The bad spot to worry about is baysville on LOB, I know it well and know where to get on/off but would never send anyone down that way on LOB just too tricky.

But as ive posted before, look at map where LOB at west end meets the sharp 90 degree turn of HGR trail d102b.  I do not ever recommend any newbys go any further south then this Bay.    You will see a single track/trail come off lake just left of a dock, and go up just 50 ft to the road(south portage rd) you directly cross the rd into my buds driveway apron only and the trail cuts off left off of his apron....its narrow track/trail but well packed and it climbs the hill, weaves around, just follow the main tracks as there are a few cuts off it,   you will end up directly coming onto d102b.  Its a very nice shortcut for baysville or port sydney, gets me from My place on mary lake to dorset restaurant in under 40 mins.  Taking the trail around below baysville this trip can take more like 2-3 hrs.  lol.

LOB can have some odd currents, they are mostly near shore where there are some shallow sandbars,   checkout the GPS mapping i got here as the tracks are on LOB.  The one we run to my shortcut however is not on there as its not really a trail, but a few of us use it and so far everyone is OK with it.

Dan

I took some screenshots of my tracks off my GPS....the blue lines are my tracks, the red lines are the LOB trails that are on the map i downloaded from here,

But you can see the one blue track where i got off at buddies place and onto d102b.  It is the bay between whiskey bay and whitehouse bay.  Right near Beauview cottage resort.

The orange lines are just roads...

Dan

post-23178-0-31324900-1390251903_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-81357700-1390251912_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-02621100-1390251920_thumb.jpg

post-23178-0-63217900-1390251926_thumb.jpg

rockerdan, the previous two posts are very interesting and useful.

I can see it would be a sweet ride from Port Sydney to Dorset, then Dwight, South Portage to Pen Lake and Deerhurst, then back to Port Sydney. I really want to check this out on a nice sunny day so I can get my bearings straight.

I'm going to be out on Wednesday with my main riding buddy, and I will definitely be telling him about your routing. What days of the week are you generally available as a tour guide? LOL

normally id say ill head out....Ill see if i can get my riding buddy out in these temps!...Might be tough but will see.

Dan

Archived