Old Equipment and the Good Ol Days

Red Green

I just finished reading a post regarding average MPH.

Most people reflected on the enjoyment they received by going slower and taking in more of the sights.

It made me think about the new years that had just passed.

We where at the cottage and because the trails where not open yet we got out the old sleds to play on the lake.

Yup the 250 bravo,the MirageII and the 440 Everest made a comeback that day.

We had about 2-3 feet of fresh powder on the lake and spent 2 days bouncing around and carving like pros !

My god kids where smiling ear to ear,there wasn't an iPod,iPad or DVD player to be seen or heard.

It was cold but no one complained,everyone enjoyed it for what it was..... Just good old fun.

I can't remember the last time I had that much fun "ditch banging" on the old iron.

Sometimes it's the simple things that make you smile.

I just finished reading a post regarding average MPH.

Most people reflected on the enjoyment they received by going slower and taking in more of the sights.

It made me think about the new years that had just passed.

We where at the cottage and because the trails where not open yet we got out the old sleds to play on the lake.

Yup the 250 bravo,the MirageII and the 440 Everest made a comeback that day.

We had about 2-3 feet of fresh powder on the lake and spent 2 days bouncing around and carving like pros !

My god kids where smiling ear to ear,there wasn't an iPod,iPad or DVD player to be seen or heard.

It was cold but no one complained,everyone enjoyed it for what it was..... Just good old fun.

I can't remember the last time I had that much fun "ditch banging" on the old iron.

Sometimes it's the simple things that make you smile.

Excellent post. Couldnt agree more. Glad to hear you made the best of it.

I had a TX 340, 1979.  I haven't had as much fun on any other sled yet, as I had on that old free air.  It weighed nothing, did 85 mph on request, could trailride with anyone elses' hot rod and cost peanuts for gas.  Love the good old days.

3-1 Ratio.

If we I rode the 1974 Moto Ski for 3 hours, it was torn apart/fixed for 1 hour. Joy in both events.

Never went far and had no idea what an 'organized' trail was. Miles and miles of smiles. 

I would not thank-you for old iron,sorry,2 feet of snow with 40 hp,boring,no offence,I started on a 1968 boa-ski cobra,yes it was fun at the time but to go back,no way,imhop,,, I had my tiger 6 on simcoe in 18 inches of snow last week,was ok,but wished I had the 800,,,

great pic of the old polaris on the fly...on freshly groomed trails,the old sleds would be fun..or racing them

To quote Stompin Tom "My back still hurts when you say those words"

1st thing i thought lookin at polaris pic too

I'm still living in the past..lol...Have a 777 Sno Jet SST 440 and put on 1500 miles last winter on it and already have 280 miles on the old gal....groomed trails are great to ride on but get in the bumps and rough parts and yikesss!!!  Diceman

My first sled was a 74 john deere 400, Had a cigarette lighter on the dash..lol I was too young to smoke. Those old bogey wheels made for a rough ride.

I love the old iron too but my memories of having to walk back to the farm house when it died are not so memorable.

That polaris TX brings back some memories for sure.

329180_271870512882357_1263365553_o.jpg

My TX-L, updated suspension, tuned pipes, .010" over with .020" rings, K&N filters, shaved head, 108 EXP Comet clutch.  Oh, and 43" ski stance.  It handled like it was on rails !  It would lift the skis from 60 mph on demand .......  :drool2:

418462_271870239549051_1421723944_n.jpg

My TX 340, in a 440 body. I once did a radar run/drag race in Virginiatown, on a -34°C day, and stomped an Indy 400 with a pipe .... apparently he sold it soon after .....  :nana:

Now this in not that long ago but WildBill might remember.

Myself and a friend named Lurch showed up at the Foley Fairgrounds one weekend when they where hosting one of the first snowcross races.

Said hey this is cool lets get in on this.We rode our 1992  MXZX 470"s in the race then rode home after.

Lurch went on to bigger things in snowcross i opted for motocross in the southern states.

That was good times.

20 years ago is not that long is it ??? :lmao:

Good ol Lurch! Whatever happened to that so cross dude, always liked watching him race! He used to drive the chilly truck in the Parry Sound area I think!

Married with children.

Hasn"t changed much "right on man" still rings in my ears.

That ear to ear smile/grin is still there.

So is the pony tail ! lol

329180_271870512882357_1263365553_o.jpg

My TX-L, updated suspension, tuned pipes, .010" over with .020" rings, K&N filters, shaved head, 108 EXP Comet clutch.  Oh, and 43" ski stance.  It handled like it was on rails !  It would lift the skis from 60 mph on demand .......  :drool2:

418462_271870239549051_1421723944_n.jpg

My TX 340, in a 440 body. I once did a radar run/drag race in Virginiatown, on a -34°C day, and stomped an Indy 400 with a pipe .... apparently he sold it soon after .....  :nana:

those are nice sleds denis,still have them

I can still remember when my dad bought 2 Enticer Long tracks and the following year a couple of Yamaha Phazers, we thought they were the best sleds ever.....still amazing me how much the sleds have changed but the rush of getting out for a ride never changes...

Best way to spend the winter ever...

those are nice sleds denis,still have them

No WD... in a moment of stupidity in a time when I didn't have much money for simple maintenance (leaking needle valves, minor engine issues) I hauled the 2 of them to a scrapper and got just about enough money for gas home.  I wish someone had beat me with a 2x4 before I had hit the road, I so miss those sleds.

Archived