Two Dead.

Redfisher

What a sad story.  The comments that follow the story vary from heartless to sympathetic.  Some go as far as to slam the OFSC, lamenting for the old days before trail permits, as if it was safer and more fun back then.

terrible news...comments turn into sh!t show arguement...too much..,.

Tragic loss. Apparently too brothers. Their family must be devastated... So many arm chair critics make assessments and judgements with so very little information and so much unknown. Reportedly they hit a downed tree at night. Was it perhaps a tree trunk completely down and laying flat across the trail then buried completely in snow. Depth perceptions change at night relative to the lighting. Way too many unknowns to pass judgement based on just what the news reports.

Sad to hear,I feel for the family and friends. I really can't take reading the comment sec, some people are heart less, sham on you. I love ride OFSC trails they are safe and taken care of. I have no problem paying for safe marked trail system from northern ONT to South ONT. Thanks to all the people who make this trail system work

very unfortunate accident, re-enforces the fact that you need to know where you are riding and the dangers are not only on ice but land also and that conditions can change fast,,, RIP

The tree has just fallen from the ice storm and was laying across the trail. Rode that trail many of times, it is a multi use trail, im sure the 2 brothers have ridden it many times before as well.  here is the link for the local paper here with a picture of the area. Very sad news, RIP.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/12/27/brothers-remembered-as-great-guys

The tree has just fallen from the ice storm and was laying across the trail. Rode that trail many of times, it is a multi use trail, im sure the 2 brothers have ridden it many times before as well.  here is the link for the local paper here with a picture of the area. Very sad news, RIP.

So they were out running the headlight?  or was it buried under the snow?

very unfortunate accident, re-enforces the fact that you need to know where you are riding and the dangers are not only on ice but land also and that conditions can change fast,,, RIP

X2. So sad for the families. Never again will Christmas be the same for them..

Wow - interesting pic of the tree.

If this is the tree that they hit, I would suspect they were driving TOO fast for the conditions.

At any point in time of the thousand of miles we (all of us sledders) put on sleds - we all have to be prepared to come across fallen trees, sledders stopped in the middle of the trail, animals, sleds coming the other direction, ice, ruts from a logging truck, groomers, etc.

Ride safe.

There are no lights on the trail and it is a very dark area, speed maybe but you don't have to be going fast to be hurt.  slam the brakes on start slidding with nowhere to go, either way stil sucks that this happened.

Reminds me of a teenager that was killed a few years ago in the Huronia area. He went for a ride after school and the trail was fine. After supper he went for a ride with his father. In the meantime a tree had fallen across the trail. The boy hit the fallen tree and died as a result.

i grew up there, and road that area,,, very sad to hear,,,

those people makeing the neg comments, showed be de nutted,,, ignert. people.

May they rest in peace.. Too young to die..

Archived