Nothern Ontario Ride this winter

Nunz

Hi guys..

It's that time of year when I start thinking about planning a week long ride with my wife, We did the RAP tour last year and had a great time, I was thinking this year about starting somewhere around Temagami as its only a couple of hours drive from Muskoka, Not really sure the best places to go and figured I would put it out to you guys for your thoughts, Want to keep it somewhere around 1000 miles for the week...give or take a few of course, thinking somewhere around late January or Early to mid March...

Any help would be much appreciated, we are going to the Snowmobile Show and get the maps...

If anyone is interested in making it a group ride or joining us for some or all that would be really cool as we usually ride just the two of us.

Looking forward to hearing from you all...

Nunz

Think about doing the ride around nippising tour you can leave from your door

The south side could be short on fuel. Someone said albane gas is closed and the cedar creek

place was closed last winter too. Just something

to think about. I think rich at owls nest has fuel stored for sledders now. That Is an awesome

spot to start from. You could go north to Sudbury then to Timmons over to Kirkland lake and back to northbay and then back to owls nest. That is some where around 800 miles.

The south side could be short on fuel. Someone said albane gas is closed and the cedar creek

to think about. I think rich at owls nest has fuel stored for sledders now. That Is an awesome

spot to start from. You could go north to Sudbury then to Timmons over to Kirkland lake and back to northbay and then back to owls nest. That is some where around 800 miles.

extend it a bit and come across the seguin and up no problem .

Alban is closed,

Cedar Village is closed.

Port Loring is OK with 2 or 3 open

Key River has new pumps in & open.

We dont KEEP FUEL, We have a 5000 liter tank that we get filled every 2 weeks, 

Fresh gas or no gas,  that my plan.

New owners in Estaire at the Cango.

24 hr visa card lock in St Charles.

Dont see much of a shortage of gas in the area!

Rich

Alban is closed,

Cedar Village is closed.

Port Loring is OK with 2 or 3 open

Key River has new pumps in & open.

We dont KEEP FUEL, We have a 5000 liter tank that we get filled every 2 weeks,

Fresh gas or no gas, that my plan.

New owners in Estaire at the Cango.

24 hr visa card lock in St Charles.

Dont see much of a shortage of gas in the area!

Rich

Thanks for the update rich! I can't believe cedar creek is closed. That place should have been a gold mine on weekends.

I was by Cedar Village & the marina last week & it looked pretty busy.

http://www.cvprm.ca/snowmobiling.shtml

The only pumps I saw open in Port Loring were @ the store. The old Shell station was closed (pumps tarped).

I wonder how good the maps will be this year. Noticed that many gas stations don't want to pay the $500 for map advertising, so they're not on the maps.

Might be time to start marking up the paper maps with info from this forum ... or get a gps with up to date info.

Thanks for the info, Owls Nest Lodge. Much appreciated.

I was by Cedar Village & the marina last week & it looked pretty busy.

http://www.cvprm.ca/snowmobiling.shtml

The only pumps I saw open in Port Loring were @ the store. The old Shell station was closed (pumps tarped).

Do you think Dan at Wright's Point might have fuel?

Do you think Dan at Wright's Point might have fuel?

http://www.wrightpointresort.com/

Their website currently says they're offering gas. You might want to contact them for confirmation.

http://www.wrightpointresort.com/

Their website currently says they're offering gas. You might want to contact them for confirmation.

I sent Dan a message this morning. I will post what I find out as soon as I find out.

I wonder how good the maps will be this year. Noticed that many gas stations don't want to pay the $500 for map advertising, so they're not on the maps.

Might be time to start marking up the paper maps with info from this forum ... or get a gps with up to date info.

Thanks for the info, Owls Nest Lodge. Much appreciated.

$ 500 seems alittle steep,does a motel pay more...?

Advertising rates are the same regardless of the nature of the business. The pricing varies only based on the size of the add and whether it is front or back of the map.

Steep for a gas station, when they know the sledders will come anyways. Most tack up signs on the trail pointing you in the right direction.

A motel owner told me if it is a great winter the map advertising is well worth it. Maybe we need to reduce the fee's back to 300 for advertising and charge a 2 dollar fee for the paper map if you want one. Are the fee's set by the district for map advertising??

Steep for a gas station, when they know the sledders will come anyways. Most tack up signs on the trail pointing you in the right direction.

A motel owner told me if it is a great winter the map advertising is well worth it. Maybe we need to reduce the fee's back to 300 for advertising and charge a 2 dollar fee for the paper map if you want one. Are the fee's set by the district for map advertising??

Each district decides what they want to charge for ad space. Some maps probably generate income for the districts and some districts will break even. The advertisers pay to generate income for themselves through snowmobiling and at the same time snowmobilers get the maps for free. Everybody wins.

A friend of mine who owned a gas station told me that he loved sleds as customers they always fill up and are never alone as well as usually buying premium fuel.

A friend of mine who owned a gas station told me that he loved sleds as customers they always fill up and are never alone as well as usually buying premium fuel.

I have yet to stop for fuel in Sprucedale and not have to wait in line to get to a pump. The local Amco in Port Severn has a steady stream of sleds filling up on the weekends as well as having breakfast. In todays economy though $500 can be a significant amount of money to some of these small mom and pop places working to get by.

I have yet to stop for fuel in Sprucedale and not have to wait in line to get to a pump. The local Amco in Port Severn has a steady stream of sleds filling up on the weekends as well as having breakfast. In todays economy though $500 can be a significant amount of money to some of these small mom and pop places working to get by.

Sprucedale buys an add on the map

Sprucedale buys an add on the map

I know, that is how I found out they had fuel in Sprucedale. We are thankful for those that advertise in the maps. I have no idea how profitable or unprofitable the district maps are but just like people grumble about the cost of a permit it may be advantageous to charge a bit less to advertise on the map and get more advertisers with a net increase in advertising revenue.

Hi guys..

It's that time of year when I start thinking about planning a week long ride with my wife, We did the RAP tour last year and had a great time, I was thinking this year about starting somewhere around Temagami as its only a couple of hours drive from Muskoka, Not really sure the best places to go and figured I would put it out to you guys for your thoughts, Want to keep it somewhere around 1000 miles for the week...give or take a few of course, thinking somewhere around late January or Early to mid March...

Any help would be much appreciated, we are going to the Snowmobile Show and get the maps...

If anyone is interested in making it a group ride or joining us for some or all that would be really cool as we usually ride just the two of us.

Looking forward to hearing from you all...

Nunz

Start in Massey go "C" north through Cochrane then "A" west to Hearst, from Hearst go "A" west toward Longlac then south to Hornepayne then "D108A" through D'Ville to "F" through Chapleau, Elliot Lake, then back to Massey.  Late February or Early March should be the best for this trip.  I'm not sure of the exact mileage, it's available through the trip planner on OFSC or Revrend's spreadsheet.  Contact me if you would like more info about a trip like this or places to stay along the way.

Good Luck! Have a safe ride

Massey is an interesting choice for staging. Never thought of it before

We always proceed further west to Elliot Lake or stop in Sudbury.

Thanks AO.

If I can ask - where do you stay in Massey?

Massey is an interesting choice for staging. Never thought of it before

We always proceed further west to Elliot Lake or stop in Sudbury.

Thanks AO.

If I can ask - where do you stay in Massey?

It's been a few years, but I think it was the Massey Motel right on 17.  There is a nice restaurant just a short walk down the street.  We have also started similar rides from French River and once from Drummond Island Michigan.

Have to see if C north of Sudbury will even be open this winter. Heard shunning tree club has folded and riders were complaining about the lack of grooming in the area last winter.

Thanks, Akron Orange. 

Let's wait for local input on C trail north of Sudbury.  Clubs that adjoin that network have provided great input. Gowganda Lake Lodge and Three Bears have kept us informed for years.

The "C" reroute was not kind to Shining Tree.  It's a 30 minute ride to get to Shining Tree from the new "C", then you have to ride back to "C" to get anywhere.  Hopefully they'll figure out a way to keep a trail to Shining Tree so we can make our annual pilgrimage to 3 Bears.  Winter wouldn't be the same without a 3 Bears steak and hangover.

Hopefully "C" can remain open with the efforts of Sudbury, Gogama and Gowaganda.

Archived