My Apologies to all on this forum

Dave K

I somewhat feel responsible for the past two winters that we have been having in SW Ontario.

Up until 4 years ago I hated winter. Hated the cold, and hated the snow even worse. I would have made a great bear and hibernated all winter long.

4 years ago I bought a cheap sled to run around on my fields with my kids. That was great and the next winter I bought a permit for the trails and also started skiing now that the kids were old enough. Ever since then I have looked forward to winter.

Fast forward a little. At the end of that year, we blew up the motor on my first sled. Found someone who was looking for a parts sled, sold it and bought a newer one last fall. OOPS, only toured around my barn, staying close enough to the buildings for the drifts.

Well this fall my oldest is able to get his trail licence, so I thought "Hey, lets get a second sled so we can go out with two of us" So I went and bought a second sled figuring we cant have two winters in a row like last year can we?

Now that I look forward to a good snow storm and lots of snow, Mother Nature and Old Man Winter seem to have decided that we don't need any.

Maybe now that I have admitted responsibility, the snow gods will allow some snow to fall, and we can salvage a 6 week season yet this year. :icon_cankick:

Dave K

Welcome to the forum and think positive, we WILL have snow! Hope you have many hours of enjoyment sledding with your children. It is truly rewarding!

Enjoy!

Welcome...not your fault at all. We get what we get!! The kicker is the weather nitwits who predicted a more normal Winter with more lake effect snow, no El Niño or La Niña effects to skew the season, no foreseeable blocking nonsense...everybody was hyped about what was to come.

Welcome to the forum! Did you get to ride the trails when they were open limited over your way?

Welcome to the forum! Did you get to ride the trails when they were open limited over your way?

The trail was only limited from Monkton to Mitchell. I happened to drive by it on the way home form some repairs to my sled, I had more snow on my field than on the trail so we stayed home that night. Lots of corn stalks and dirt showing through. Definetely limited.

That was great and the next winter I bought a permit for the trails and also started skiing now that the kids were old enough. Ever since then I have looked forward to winter.

I'll take a share of the blame. I too invested in new Ski equipment and season pass for my wife. Her idea was to ski while I was out on the trails.

Obviously that hasn't worked out.

LOL, that's the best....

Welcome to our little piece of the net.

I'll take a share of the blame. I too invested in new Ski equipment and season pass for my wife. Her idea was to ski while I was out on the trails.

To add insult to injury, the same winter we started to snowmobile, we also started to ski. :?

The trail was only limited from Monkton to Mitchell. I happened to drive by it on the way home form some repairs to my sled, I had more snow on my field than on the trail so we stayed home that night. Lots of corn stalks and dirt showing through. Definetely limited.

I was very tempted to load the sled and see for myself. It's a quick drive up county road 25!

KEEP IT UP!

We've had a few snow flurries since you posted! See, all you had to do was admit it was your fault and all is forgiven. Now all I need to do is push some down your way.

Welcome to the forum from Kirkland Lake.

it was all downhill from there .

Actually it is Luckys fault. Last year it would not snow until he sold his sled this year he bought another sled it rained almost the next day.

it was all downhill from there .

Actually it is Luckys fault. Last year it would not snow until he sold his sled this year he bought another sled it rained almost the next day.

I am convinced!

On a more positive note, winter will be back. And it will be a great season! It is not over yet!

I am convinced!

On a more positive note, winter will be back. And it will be a great season! It is not over yet!

:right_on: :right_on: :right_on:

I think people get discouraged when the map turns red.

I have yet to take a look at the trails yet but I have a good feeling that most clubs closed trails to protect the base in the East. Trails have already started to turn green again around Pembroke/Deep River. We had more snow then all of last year and now the snow we have left is very hard.

I think it will be up and running again soon. When it is, come out and visit the Ottawa Valley!

I have yet to take a look at the trails yet but I have a good feeling that most clubs closed trails

to protect the base in the East. Trails have

already started to turn green again around

Pembroke/Deep River. We had more snow then

all of last year and now the snow we have left

is very hard.

I think it will be up and running again soon. When it is, come out and visit the Ottawa Valley!

Should be open for Jan 26 weekend?

They are now calling for 35 cm's to hit Mitchell in the next week. See you and your son on the trails soon. I will be on a long track grand couch.

And I thought it was just me, since I just bought my first sled in the fall. Don't despair though Dave, I'm a skier and have always looked forward to snow, and although there has been some exceptional years, most of the time, good skiing doesn't start till 2nd week in January. I just got back from Holiday Valley today, and it was the worst i've seen it, even worse than last year.....but we were skiing and my legs a sore, so that's good. Sledding is done though....not even a snow bank, and nothing significant in the 14 day forecast. We had a good start down in NY and Niagara. Things are looking better for the North, so Ill be checking the iPhone weather apps for there.

Welcome aboard DK! Unlike the others here I will place all the blame on you, but accept your apology. Kindly accept mine; I will now take your photo off my dart board.

Welcome aboard. Drove through Monkton about 430pm on the way back from London. The blizzard started just south of Walkerton. They have taken any plus out of the forecast and Owen Sound has a good snowfall forecast for the next four days.

Dave K,

What a hilarious introduction.

It reminded me of the classic Seinfeld episode "The Opposite". View the episode, go to your local haberdasher and buy a bathing suit. :D

Not really your fault but we really need some snow in our area to get the trails open! Its been way too long.Then everybody will be happy again.cheers al

I'm guilty too. I returned to sledding after a very very long time and bought a pair of sleds in 2007. Two great winters and then its been downhill since then. For the first time in memory, our lake wasn't frozen on New Years Day.

After riding on the back of my sled for 5 years, my son turned 12 in December and got his licence 2 days after his birthday. At this rate his first run will be in February.

WOO HOO Snow squall watch in effect for tonight :snow-141: :snow-141: :snow-141: :snow-141: :snow-141::icon_clapclap: :icon_clapclap: :icon_clapclap: :icon_clapclap:

I have yet to take a look at the trails yet but I have a good feeling that most clubs closed trails to protect the base in the East. Trails have already started to turn green again around Pembroke/Deep River. We had more snow then all of last year and now the snow we have left is very hard.

Take a good look at district 6 most trails are again yellow or green.

Our club had to list trails as closed till we could make sure things tightened up and see how lakes and creeks were. Have to keep all the sledders safe. We need you all to come buy your passes up here next year . :lmao:

We have now done that and the groomer will start heading out again. We recieved a few cm of snow last night just a dusting but 5 to 20 cm in the forcast for the weekend and first of next week all depends on what forcast you look at . Thats all we will need to cover up the few bare spots and go back green.

Now if i could just stop working on the trails and get out for a ride . I think having snow living 100 ft from the trail sysem and not having time to ride because you are working on equipment or grooming is as bad as having no snow

Archived