Thank You Kushog Lake Marine

Yesterday crews were out packing and brushing and had stopped to fill up the club sleds at Kushog Lake Marine. The HCSA thanks Kushog Lake Marine warmly as they DID NOT ACCEPT payment for the fuel that they provided for us! That was certainly not expected..but was greatly appreciated! That's money back onto our trails.

So..sledders..if you are in the area and need fuel..please remember to stop in at Kushog Marine for your fuel. Not to mention they are just about the only place in proximity to Carnarvon for fuel at present.

It's the small things like this that help clubs greatly and show community support! Again..THANK YOU!

that's awesome that they appreciate what the club is doing and helping out where they can

That is a great example of local businesses supporting local clubs!

Wow!

Great to hear and thanks for sharing.

cool, where are they on Kushog lake?

That's great news. Thanks for supporting us.

X2 That is the way it should work. Everyone working together and helping out.

Yes..south end of the lake close to Carnarvon. You can get to them from Boshkung if you run towards the Buckslides area, cross the bush (there is still an old HCSA trail that is there but not maintained) then jump onto Kushog and shoot about five minutes up the lake to the marina. He has signage out on the lake.

I will stop and fill up there for sure when I'm up that way next! That is a great gesture!

Holy Crap!!! DId you get lost on the internet somewhere?? :-P

Like a lot of places up here, they will likely help you if you're in a pinch during off hours. You could always e mail them for specifics. I would imagine they pump premium being a marina.

They sure did us a good turn.

Paul and Tammy Wilson

Kushog Marina Inc.

1486 Kushog Lake Road

Algonquin Highlands, ON

K0M 1J2

Telephone: 705-489-4519

E-mail: ptktwilson@hotmail.com

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone know if it is safe and an option to get to Kushog Marina via Kushog Lake?

I have it pinned on my GPS, I just want to know if there is any open water between Kushog and Trail B.

It's always open at Ox narrows.. From there it's a fast run down the lake to the marina. While I have not run it yet this year..I suspect it will be fine. It will take you all of ten minutes to get there from Ox narrows where the B crosses.

Dont waste time in the bottom narrows in the foot of the lake either although it usually freezes up pretty well there is a boulder towards the western shore that causes currents to rot the ice above it

Is that why the HCSA abandoned the trail from Boshkung across to Kushog right around there?? The old signs are still on the trail in the bush and a few of us still use it as a quick shortcut when running the lakes.

Is that why the HCSA abandoned the trail from Boshkung across to Kushog right around there?? The old signs are still on the trail in the bush and a few of us still use it as a quick shortcut when running the lakes.

No it was because of loss of land use to access Boshkung far enough away from Buckslides

Well you know those Buckslides creatures!!!!!!

The marina and fuel is bottom left...this satellite imagery actually shows the sled tracks on the ice as the Spring melt arrives.

It's a cool shot. I found several photos of the area for that time of year showing where sleds had run the lakes. Still snow in spots in the bush..even tracks going towards the marina.

post-19777-0-13874200-1360934354_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know if you can run south on kushog lake ,cut over to boshkung lake, then go south into horseshoe lake and connect up to the 4 trail?

Does anyone know if you can run south on kushog lake ,cut over to boshkung lake, then go south into horseshoe lake and connect up to the 4 trail?

We used to do it all the time. Not sure all the portages are still good though. Fred Quimby should know though

You can run south on Kushog..if you look at the pic I posted you can see in the lower right hand side where you need to get off the lake cross the road and take the old trail onto Boshkung(there is an old HCSA trail that gets used a lot so you'll see the sled tracks). From there you'll need to run down Big Bosh down towards Hwy 118 to little Boshkung..staying away from the open water at the bridge..it's deep! from little Bosh you need to run south-east intoTwelve mile lake and get off north of the Red Umbrella and take Omagaki Rd up to Hwy 35.. Cross the hwy and pick up trail 8 then to 4 down to Horseshoe. It's not a route I'd recommend unless you are very familiar with the area though!

Lakes have turned very slushy from all the snow we've had over the last week so...in all honesty the trails are better and safer. There is at least 10-12" of snow on lakes and loads of slush underneath. Makes for hard travelling on lakes.

Where are you coming from?? A better bet is to head south on the TOPB to 8-4 down to Horseshoe.

Archived