Anywhere to park and ride in Bancroft?

Turbo Doo

Any help on spots to park and ride in and around Bancroft? Also can you ride to Whitney, and Barry's bay. Barry's bay for lunch, and be back in Bancroft for supper?

Thanks guys for any info..

You can park at the Millennium Park right downtown. Also the Bancroft Inn and Suites used to allow parking at their lower parking lot. Both areas are close to the trail.

the loop is just over 215 km according to Interactive guide.

Hmm may do a loop like this Saturday, most likely staying at Bancroft inn and suites have a room booked.

Sled junk have you stayed at Bancroft inn and suites or are you referring to Bancroft motor inn, names get a bit confusing.

There are a few areas right in town that always seems to have trucks and trailers parked and no one seems to mind. I would suggest going north of town on hwy 62 about five minutes, just past Bird's Creek there is a big staging area directly beside the rail bed trail. (if you meet where the trail crosses the highway you have gone just a bit to far)

You can run to Barry's Bay and back in a day with no trouble-esspecially if you back track some trails. From Bancroft to just north of Lake St. Peter it is rail trail. Then forest access for a while and then bush trail to Whitney. Whitney to Barry's Bay is rail trail.

From Barry's Bay if you head south towards Combermere it will take much longer to come across than going back the whitney way. Also conditions will most likely be less favorable this way, more slower bush trails. (and likely need more snow yet, You could come back across from Barry's Bay and head south at Madawaska. I understand the club spent a bunch of time/money this fall, further improving this trail. Haven't been up through yet. Not sure they have packed it either. I'm guessing in a couple years it will be as nice a trail as others in the area. It was poor a few years back.

Rail beds and forest access are in quite good shape for this early. From turn at Mink Lake loop up towards Whitney, some rocks, but with some caution still travelable.

Lakes were quite slushy, wouldn't trust them yet. Didn't check the ice thickness.

I'd be surprised trail from Combermere to LSP would have enough snow it is quite rugged.

B rail trail is about the nicest rail trail around from Whitney to BB.

If I had to run same rail trail both ways this would be 1 of the few I'd enjoy.

Also for parking I'd agree the lot in Birds Creek a great choice.

I think I'll head to Bancroft tomorrow and run up to Whitney. I see the trail in Bancroft isn't open all the way down into town. Does anyone know if I can park somewhere near the open portion?

I don't know why south of town it's not open.

We rode from Madoc today up the rail line to the edge of Old Hastings SC and the trail is awesome, don't understand why the trail is Green to the South and North but closed still within Old Hastings.

E4CB361D-61D8-4D44-9632-95C3DB1B157B-5262-0000067433A135BB.jpg

I stuck a post on thier Facebook page, looks like a few others this week are asking the same question.

There are a few areas right in town that always seems to have trucks and trailers parked and no one seems to mind. I would suggest going north of town on hwy 62 about five minutes, just past Bird's Creek there is a big staging area directly beside the rail bed trail. (if you meet where the trail crosses the highway you have gone just a bit to far)

You can run to Barry's Bay and back in a day with no trouble-esspecially if you back track some trails. From Bancroft to just north of Lake St. Peter it is rail trail. Then forest access for a while and then bush trail to Whitney. Whitney to Barry's Bay is rail trail.

From Barry's Bay if you head south towards Combermere it will take much longer to come across than going back the whitney way. Also conditions will most likely be less favorable this way, more slower bush trails. (and likely need more snow yet, You could come back across from Barry's Bay and head south at Madawaska. I understand the club spent a bunch of time/money this fall, further improving this trail. Haven't been up through yet. Not sure they have packed it either. I'm guessing in a couple years it will be as nice a trail as others in the area. It was poor a few years back.

Rail beds and forest access are in quite good shape for this early. From turn at Mink Lake loop up towards Whitney, some rocks, but with some caution still travelable.

Lakes were quite slushy, wouldn't trust them yet. Didn't check the ice thickness.

Oops - somehow I missed this post when I asked for more info. This is great info - thanks Willy.

Just checked the interactive guide and the rail bed has now gone green all the way where Top E crosses. Maybe it's all being updated as we speak.

No lakes to cross i'm aware of bancroft - whitney - BB

Rail trail likely wasn't green due to signage issue/audit.

Blame the souvenir collectors over the summer

Parking at Birds Creek can see from 62 on left heading north.

As stated b4 if the trail crosses 62 in BC you have gone 100 feet too far.

you can run from bancroft to whitney and barry's bay without having to cross any lakes. Some guys like to go to whitney up through the mink lake trail. Also when going up the rail bed and coming into lake st. peter - the lake is directly on your right. If you run up the top end of the lake the trail goes north and can take you through to Madawaska. (if you choose to go up or back this way) You can run the roads around both Mink Lake and Lake St. Peter is you wish. Mink Lake road is well marked i believe. Lake St. Peter you have to follow the North Lake St. Peter Rd.

Roads seem passable with minimal wear. prefer to stay on the trails myself.

I was there until monday this week, and did not go on the lakes. As mentioned very slushy. Some guys were on them, however i would not trust them just yet. I did not check ice thickness. The local club monitors Lake St. Peter (and Baptiste) and will stake them when they are safe.

Correct. No lakes.

Just got home from Bancroft; had a great day. The info from Willy really helped.

I parked in Millenium Park, lots of room. Then headed over the iron bridge and north to Whitney. This was my wife's first ride (ever) so we kept it short. Just over 3h, and back for a meal at Thomas Oliver's pub in Bancroft. Good parking there too, in behind the pub. The Granite Restaurant looked busy - 8 sleds parked out front.

Trails there are good, with ample snow. With it being mid-week, traffic was light. We saw about 15 other sleds. Starting out this morning it was -16C and warmed to -9C in the afternoon.

Super day!

15ogqyg.jpg

2z7282g.jpg

2kkklt.jpg

sym81d.jpg

sym81d.jpg

Hey! The OC Sticker is missing from the mail box! I will have to go up and reapply that. :lol:

I think I have a picture of you putting that OC sticker on the mailbox

All that wasted effort. :lol:

Outstanding...

Just got home from Bancroft; had a great day. The info from Willy really helped.

I parked in Millenium Park, lots of room. Then headed over the iron bridge and north to Whitney. This was my wife's first ride (ever) so we kept it short. Just over 3h, and back for a meal at Thomas Oliver's pub in Bancroft. Good parking there too, in behind the pub. The Granite Restaurant looked busy - 8 sleds parked out front.

Trails there are good, with ample snow. With it being mid-week, traffic was light. We saw about 15 other sleds. Starting out this morning it was -16C and warmed to -9C in the afternoon.

Super day!

15ogqyg.jpg

2z7282g.jpg

2kkklt.jpg

sym81d.jpg

Nice pics, ww...sounds like you had a nice run.

How are you two enjoying the new sleds?

Archived