who will have the first trail limited for our enjoyment over christmas

BlakeBouch

Another 4 inches of fluffy stuff last night in Kirkland Lake with -30C on the forecast for tonight!

I was out last Saturday for an hour and had a blast! Snow packed roads and grassy fields only so far.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just don't do it naked on the front lawn... the neighbours and the police just don't have a sense of humour

My neighbors just shake their heads and close the blinds!

It will be Prince Edward county, and I'll be riding before all of you

Just wait and see, it happened 6 years ago.

This was Dec 14, county went from close to fully open good in 6 days. So much snow so fast this trail hadn't even been groomed yet.

3A18A9B5-99BA-4AC3-A903-0E347D006365-883-0000006A7983F81C.jpg

I hope we are all right and our own favourites will all be open for Christmas.

I say the Ganny open first...

if the club wanted too they could have the D trail packed and open as limited..... But why open it up, there is nobody realy to ride and no conection as wawa can't come up for a while, also the club was cut by the district on the amount of hours they can groom, they will only pay for 330 Hours. Thats why I quit the club, no more local loops and only 330 hrs. Not fun anymore of worth it. I'm not going to be blamed for th bad trails. I will still go out and groom sometimes but I'm not in the club anymore, they had a meeting last night... well a couple since I quit. haven't been to meetings since.

if the club wanted too they could have the D trail packed and open as limited..... But why open it up, there is nobody realy to ride and no conection as wawa can't come up for a while, also the club was cut by the district on the amount of hours they can groom, they will only pay for 330 Hours. Thats why I quit the club, no more local loops and only 330 hrs. Not fun anymore of worth it. I'm not going to be blamed for th bad trails. I will still go out and groom sometimes but I'm not in the club anymore, they had a meeting last night... well a couple since I quit. haven't been to meetings since.

When I found out you were out for this year anyway, I called the office in Dub to ask about the club. I found out that there will be no grooming to the Magpie or to complete any loops. Only the Trunk trails will be groomed to connect for touring riders per the OFSC. That is really sad since Dub used to be a hub for many trails and made many loops possible. A few who know our way will still be able to run local trails until the snow gets too deep, but riders using a map and new to the area will be confined to taking the main trail back and forth. That means you are a connector trail club now. I hope Wawa can keep some of their loops.

Why does the interactive map show trails which have already been banned from grooming by the OFSC? I think the map should show exactly what is real. Why show trails which will never be groomed due to OFSC district orders ????

Why does the interactive map show trails which have already been banned from grooming by the OFSC? I think the map should show exactly what is real. Why show trails which will never be groomed due to OFSC district orders ????

Because this way the OFSC can still say they have the most trails in the world, not the most open just the most. And that seems to be their big concern or why else would they leave them on the map.

And, (who knows?) a couple of good winters and some new landowners in different areas and they could all open again.

Groom till the money runs out but when there are shortfall payments to assist it sets a pace for what the club can do.

Because this way the OFSC can still say they have the most trails in the world, not the most open just the most. And that seems to be their big concern or why else would they leave them on the map.

"Closed" trails are left on maps or as they are now called "guides" because if you delete them and then years later go to re-open them it can be a nightmare with the MNR to prove that they existed as a snowmobile trail in the true essence of one in the first place. If a trail is just deleted, it becomes a tough argument for a club who may want to re open a trail down the road to claim it even was a snowmobile trail in the first place. If they get left showing on a map if even as "closed", year after year, there is still claim to the trail.

Make sense?

"Closed" trails are left on maps or as they are now called "guides" because if you delete them and then years later go to re-open them it can be a nightmare with the MNR to prove that they existed as a snowmobile trail in the true essence of one in the first place. If a trail is just deleted, it becomes a tough argument for a club who may want to re open a trail down the road to claim it even was a snowmobile trail in the first place. If they get left showing on a map if even as "closed", year after year, there is still claim to the trail.

Make sense?

Good point.

I always wondered that..why show old closed trails??? I found that out this year when I got on our Exec.

You can always go back to the MNR when you want to file for a work permit to open an old trail, do a bridge or culverts, and show them that you (the snowmobile club) still has that trail mapped and presumably landowner permits in place. If you give up the trail, and want to re open one later it's like starting from scratch, which is tough.

Who cares as long as we can ride!!!!!!!

I hope you were kidding??

Otherwise..you should care about your trails and why they are the way they are, closed, marked closed, temporarily closed.

I hope you were kidding??

Otherwise..you should care about your trails and why they are the way they are, closed, marked closed, temporarily closed.

Wow Relax man after the season we had last year any riding is good riding YES I WAS KIDDING. I do care about the trails and if they are open closed or whatever. Ive been riding for 20 plus years and have to trailer everywhere i go, I do support where I ride but always riding in different districts throught out the year. Way to serious people come on........

Pouring rain in Toronto and warming up for a few days. The lake froze over in Port Severn yesterday so who knows. It looked like the south west Georgian Bay area and down through Barrie had a head start over most but this weather puts most everyone back to the same start point. Based on the early snow they received in that area. The fact Horseshoe and Mount St. Louis opened for skiing a couple of days ago with Blue Mountain hoping for this coming weekend I will still stick with Wasgaa having the first open trails. Apart from that the sand base drains really well.

Brett Anderson is still sticking with his forecast of a warmer moist December, with no appreciable lake effect snow for the Great Lakes area until January, February and into March. We lost the two inches of snow we had but also the ground which was rock hard has loosened up just overnight.

Dimwit Dave at EnviroCan was on 680News yesterday saying this should be a normal winter, with normal temps and snow fall amounts,

Problem is, what is a normal winter?

Winters have been all over the map the last 5 years. I don't think there is a normal anymore.

Pouring rain in Toronto and warming up for a few days. The lake froze over in Port Severn yesterday so who knows. It looked like the south west Georgian Bay area and down through Barrie had a head start over most but this

weather puts most everyone back to the same

start point. Based on the early snow they

received in that area. The fact Horseshoe and

Mount St. Louis opened for skiing a couple of

days ago with Blue Mountain hoping for this

coming weekend I will still stick with Wasgaa

having the first open trails. Apart from that the

sand base drains really well.

That is true. We will have water holes several feet deep now. The whole system needs cold night temps for a good week, before we get snow. Even a few inches can insulate the ground. It will come, maybe no riding until middle of Jan again. Man, better last until April.

Yea I still want to say I will be riding somewhere in 3 weeks.

That is true. We will have water holes several feet deep now. The whole system needs cold night temps for a good week, before we get snow. Even a few inches can insulate the ground. It will come, maybe no riding until middle of Jan again. Man, better last until April.

A haliburton local once told me that the snow that stays always falls in the mud. I have watched this for 30 years now and old Carl Harrison was right.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0E9zCpiijMgnaJgnXv6OWSfQy70xZR3kq

the link above is RWS riding today out here : :icon_photo:

If I had my engine in I would be riding too :):icon_snow:

Archived