Scuzzy Motels

revrnd

The first motel is the one beside the John Deere dealer owned by the "genies". Three cars parked (one no plate, another w/ flat tire) out front that haven't moved in over a year.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155008-d1160558-Reviews-Carriage_Inn_Motel-Peterborough_Ontario.html

This one, the Nite Owl had a woman (of no fixed address) arrested there last year for causing a disturbance.

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155008-d1052444-Reviews-Nite_Owl_Motel-Peterborough_Ontario.html

Recently there were several Peterborough residents arrested for drug dealing at a motel east of the city. CHEX TV showed footage of the two motels, but none of Robyns or the Blue Jay. The reporter said that the police wouldn't identify which motel was the site of the drug dealing.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is the Beech View Resort here on the TOPB..I'm pretty sure there was a group of OC'ers who actually stayed there at one time. It looks like a movie set for "A Cabin In the Woods". It's up for sale now..I am not even sure if it still operating as a resort. It's in sad shape, but a good property.

http://www.beechviewresort.ca/Home.html

website is still active?

No problem - sleep in your snowmobile suit.

(have actually seen images of that)

Thats not a bad looking place. Might be different if in person I guess.

Thats not a bad looking place. Might be different if in person I guess.

Bang on Mossy....here is what you don't see on the "web'

post-19777-0-99372800-1351721954_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-35734500-1351721978_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-80166800-1351722009_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-17369800-1351722031_thumb.jpg

Could be a prize property. Waterfront, level. Year round road access, right on the TOP B trail (RAP Tour), minutes to Haliburton or Minden. Needs extensive work...with a dozer.

It would be a great place for a bunch of guys to buy up...rent out the cabins in the Summer and then in the Winter it becomes a great base to ride from. The money you would recoup from renting through the Summer could go towards renovations and then rent just a few of the cabins in the Winter, keeping the ones you wanted to use for yourself. It is literally right on the TOPB

Too bad it got so bad. It looked like it was a nice place.

" from what Ive heard"....

That's what they all say.

:D

Crane Lake House south of Parry Sound was pretty bad back in the 90s.

From a SW member years ago:

i think i only told you, but i will share my experience there with everyone. the place cost me $110.00 a night so from this you would think it is good, it was the first sled trip i took ever and i just got a new sled the day before. the reason we went there i know now was because the place had peelers.

all the beds had firewood under the corners where the legs were broke off them, bless my wife's heart she made me take a couple sleeping bags and the blankets you couldn't trust when those were washed. the carpet was the green and gold oldy shag matted down from the years, i am sure if you used a carpet rake on it you would kick up a rabbit. the toilet was on tipped on an angle and when you were poopin' you had to hang on or fall off. while in the washroom you had to wear boots since the floor was soaked because the shower curtain was too short. the reason the shower curtain was too short is because the tub is tipping into the rotted floor, a buddy of mine fell out of the shower and hit his head on the toilet then it fell out of it's spot. now i know he was cocktailing the night before but he said he lost his balance in the rocking tub. LOL

this is a dump but i think that times like that for a bunch of guys are the most memorable, if it was a posh place we would only remember we went and not have as much to laugh about when we get together.

Crane Lake House south of Parry Sound was pretty bad back in the 90s.

From a SW member years ago:

It is new and nice now but closed in the winter except for seasonal rentals. Restraunt is closed I think gas maybe summer only but not sure.

Bill I think we were there for New Years '96. It hadn't been sold yet. I'm surprised we survived our stay. Whenever the furnace in the cottage ran all we could smell was oil.

Later that year I was talking to a girl @ work that snowmobiled & told her that we had spent past New Years @ Crane Lake. She was horrified & wished I had told her about this beforehand. Then she told me about the horror story her group endured.

Bill I think we were there for New Years '96. It hadn't been sold yet. I'm surprised we survived our stay. Whenever the furnace in the cottage ran all we could smell was oil.

Later that year I was talking to a girl @ work that snowmobiled & told her that we had spent past New Years @ Crane Lake. She was horrified & wished I had told her about this beforehand. Then she told me about the horror story her group endured.

It was not bad it was worse than that.

There is the Beech View Resort here on the TOPB..I'm pretty sure there was a group of OC'ers who actually stayed there at one time. It looks like a movie set for "A Cabin In the Woods". It's up for sale now..I am not even sure if it still operating as a resort. It's in sad shape, but a good property.

http://www.beechview...rt.ca/Home.html

website is still active?

I stayed there years back. There were some OC members that were trying to help support the owner because of some family issues (I don;t recall what happened). It was bad then, We were walking on ice up the steps of the cabins and trying not to get killed. The water was frozen or partially frozen, hot water was not available. The Lady who owned the resort just could not keep up and did not have the money to hire help. That's an unfortunate slippery slop.

There are so many who try to run a good business in the rural areas, from Motels, to Bars and Restaurants, Gas stations, Service facilities. Some make, some don't. Sometimes people just don't have the "People Skills" to handle all the asshats that patron their establishments. Others fall due to age and upkeep. Its much easier to run a newer low maintenance facility then rebuild and older Fixer Upper.

Gowganda Lake Lodge is a prime example of someone doing it right and succeeding. Smiling and saying come on back, even to the asshats...

Those who sponsor OC seem to do well ;)

I stayed there years back. There were some OC members that were trying to help support the owner because of some family issues (I don;t recall what happened). It was bad then, We were walking on ice up the steps of the cabins and trying not to get killed. The water was frozen or partially frozen, hot water was not available. The Lady who owned the resort just could not keep up and did not have the money to hire help. That's an unfortunate slippery slop.

There are so many who try to run a good business in the rural areas, from Motels, to Bars and Restaurants, Gas stations, Service facilities. Some make, some don't. Sometimes people just don't have the "People Skills" to handle all the asshats that patron their establishments. Others fall due to age and upkeep. Its much easier to run a newer low maintenance facility then rebuild and older Fixer Upper.

Gowganda Lake Lodge is a prime example of someone doing it right and succeeding. Smiling and saying come on back, even to the asshats...

Those who sponsor OC seem to do well ;)

We stayed @ the Whitfield (the nickname rhymes w/ it) on a last minute guys weekend. Older woman trying to run the place & it was pretty bad. Later it had an ownership change & things improved bigtime, food was good & the parents stayed there w/ no complaints. I think the owner suddenly passed away. Not sure what its status currently.

I'm wondering about "certain" people that buy motels w/ little or no experience in running an accommodation (read North Adventure Inn)? They seem indifferent to the requests from the most reasonable person.

We stayed @ the Whitfield (the nickname rhymes w/ it) on a last minute guys weekend. Older woman trying to run the place & it was pretty bad. Later it had an ownership change & things improved bigtime, food was good & the parents stayed there w/ no complaints. I think the owner suddenly passed away. Not sure what its status currently. I'm wondering about "certain" people that buy motels w/ little or no experience in running an accommodation (read North Adventure Inn)? They seem indifferent to the requests from the most reasonable person.

The Whitfield !! An example, for Canuck, of a place we slept in our snowmobile suits. No way anyone would crawl between those sheets. AND, no way anyone would take their snowmobile boots off to walk on that carpet !!! :shock: The "green stuph" on the floor fo the shower was a science experiment. But the roast beef dinner in the lodge was great that night !

I know people that stayed there by in 2002. The plumbing never worked properly anymore, need I say more.

Update everything new and clean at Crane lake Resort unfortunatly also closed. Whitfield cleaned up and improved but may close for the winter good wings though.

Yes, the Whitfield cleaned up considerably ! Sorry to hear it may not open for the winter - good location for a stop.

Bang on Mossy....here is what you don't see on the "web'

post-19777-0-99372800-1351721954_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-35734500-1351721978_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-80166800-1351722009_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-17369800-1351722031_thumb.jpg

Could be a prize property. Waterfront, level. Year round road access, right on the TOP B trail (RAP Tour), minutes to Haliburton or Minden. Needs extensive work...with a dozer.

How much r they askin 4 that place Fred?

How much r they askin 4 that place Fred?

I'm not sure. It's listed with a Toronto agency. I could do some digging if you are interested?

Archived