Buy Where You Ride -- I Doubt It

bbakernbay

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buy where you rode is simply Buy where you ride 12 months deferred. A much more accurate Buy where you ride program.

And the concept is not for saving struggling northern clubs. If I ride in District 9 all of next year because that's what mother nature wants me to do, I buy in District 9 the following year. Or 7 or 6 or wherever I rode. This is not about northern clubs it is about trying to get the money onto the trails that are actually being used rather than guessing where the snow is going to fall.

Buy where you rode is simply Buy where you ride 12 months deferred. A much more accurate Buy where you ride program.

And the concept is not for saving struggling northern clubs. If I ride in District 9 all of next year because that's what mother nature wants me to do, I buy in District 9 the following year. Or 7 or 6 or wherever I rode. This is not about northern clubs it is about trying to get the money onto the trails that are actually being used rather than guessing where the snow is going to fall.

Also Buy Where You Rode still allows the Matrix to do its thing.

For argument sake for a $200 permit $100 goes to the Club and the other $100 goes to the OFSC to be spread out based on the matrix.

The $100 that the Club gets from the sold permit helps in the extra costs associated with having the traffic that rode their trails, paying for extra fuel, wages, repairs etc.

Some Club's have to go into debt before the start of the season to pay for repairs, trail work and even buying the permits from the OFSC in the Fall and rely on getting some cash prior to December 1st.

The Northren Clubs will still get their district payments from the other $100 that went to the OFSC like always so buying where you rode will not hurt them at all. It would benefit them 2 fold if people bought from them if they rode there and bought their permit from them.

As I said before. Very simple.

Still could theoretically favor a more prosperous club that happens to see enhanced trail usage. Ridership is up..they get more of the purchasers that "bought where they rode" .

Does not represent a true cross section of what is needed around the Province. Like Ski confirmed..just a gesture.

It's not that simple.

Some people can't buy where they rode last year because they didn't ride.

Brilliant, Mossy.

Never considered that element of next year's 'where to buy' decision.

Is insurance flat rate or is it a set percentage based on permits sold, which reflects usuage? As permit sales drop, insurance should go down since there are less riders using the system, hence less risk.

Is insurance flat rate or is it a set percentage based on permits sold, which reflects usuage? As permit sales drop, insurance should go down since there are less riders using the system, hence less risk.

I agree but I bet whomever underwrites the policy probably knows this is not easy insurance to obtain and therefore i'd really be surprised if they used a sliding scale.

Same as most insurance..you pay for the risk you might encounter not what the real situation is.

C'mon Mossy you rode...30- 40 Km's!!

C'mon Mossy you rode...30- 40 Km's!!

I know but there are some that didn't get out at all!

I know but there are some that didn't get out at all!

Yeppers! So buy where you thought you should have rode..if you were going to ride, but didn't

Yeppers! So buy where you thought you should have rode..if you were going to ride, but didn't

Duberville it is!

Doobieville??? :nana:

Some people only buy one permit, yet rode in their home area as well as a Northern tour. Maybe the powers to be could allow a "Split" permit that would allow a single permit to support multiple clubs.

Some people only buy one permit, yet rode in their home area as well as a Northern tour. Maybe the powers to be could allow a "Split" permit that would allow a single permit to support multiple clubs.

That is what the matrix is meant to iron out. To split the permit would be kind of difficult, administratively. A club effectively 'signs up' for the number of permits that they will attempt / expect to sell. To do this, they have to post a small deposit ($5) per permit. The purchase price (cost) to the club varies depending on the calculations from the matrix formula. So each club will send differing amounts per permit sold to the OFSC. A small club with higher grooming hours, Km of trails, lower sales, will spend less per permit than a club with higher sales and fewer grooming hours. For them to share the permit, each club would have to determine what amount to send. Reconciling this would be difficult at the end of the season with many of these split permits going to differing clubs.

Add into the mix that some permit selling entities are clubs, but others are districts, or groups of clubs. It would add additional confusion to the mix when someone wants their permit to be split between club X and club Y when club x sells permits directly, but club Y sells through an association.

There has been some talk about reworking / revamping the matrix but there have not been any conclusions as of yet.

When ms. slomo runs a marathon, they attach this thing to her shoe laces. As she runs by sensors along a 52 kilometer route, her exact position is picked up. That way, her husband doesn't have to stand around waiting for her to collapse at the finish line, but can show up just before she gets there and pukes her guts out. She also gets very accurate 'times' for each segment of the route, which is apparently important for distance running strategy.

If the sled permits were able to be 'read' as they passed various points on a trail in an area- perhaps gas stops or other prominent places, it would not take long to find out which sleds and how many were in any area at a particular time. It would not matter how many times the tags were read - you would know that that machine was in the area on a certain date. This might help determine useage whether riders were conscious of the various club/dictricts area or not.

Hang on Slomo.......

You're trying to introduce technology to clubs that still use rotary dial telephones to keep in touch with the other two members

Your comments are going to cause posts berating you for introducing the impossible and impractically expensive; which, in turn will cause...

Skidooer to post a lengthy explanation as to why it is not only possible and minimally expensive - using words he makes up - but that, while he was hunt-and-peck describing how simple it is, he designed and manufactured such a system with his other hand using items previously discarded in the kitchen drawer.

Now we're in for another 5 pages. <sheesh>

I'm not sure what marathons use to ensure that Ms Slomo doesn't take the subway in Parry Sound to the finish line, but it's probably an RFID (Radio Frequency Identification Tag)

Wikipedia has a good summary, including costs and privacy concerns (didn't know that a microwave renders it useless ;) )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-frequency_identification

......didn't know that a microwave renders it useless ;)

Just ban microwave ovens on the trails.....Sled Junk will have to resort to the conventional method:post-19713-0-42832200-1335878321_thumb.j

Portable 12 volt oven. Use with any oven safe cookware. Fold-down study carry handle

for easy storage. Easy to clean and maintain.

This 12-volt oven cooks, bakes, and warms foods from the convenience of any vehicle

with a standard 12-volt DC receptacle. Compact and lightweight, yet strong enough to

withstand rigorous use. Includes two food containers. 5-ft. DC cord. Positive ON/OFF

switch and Hi/Lo settings for built in temperature control. Ideal for cooking on long

distance drives, while boating, hunting, fishing, camping, on vacations, long haul, at

tailgate parties, or on job sites. :lol:

Just ban microwave ovens on the trails.....Sled Junk will have to resort to the conventional method:post-19713-0-42832200-1335878321_thumb.jpg

Portable 12 volt oven. Use with any oven safe cookware. Fold-down study carry handle

for easy storage. Easy to clean and maintain.

This 12-volt oven cooks, bakes, and warms foods from the convenience of any vehicle

with a standard 12-volt DC receptacle. Compact and lightweight, yet strong enough to

withstand rigorous use. Includes two food containers. 5-ft. DC cord. Positive ON/OFF

switch and Hi/Lo settings for built in temperature control. Ideal for cooking on long

distance drives, while boating, hunting, fishing, camping, on vacations, long haul, at

tailgate parties, or on job sites. :lol:

Et tu Brutus!!! :rotflmao:

RFID tags could be built into trail passes.

We could use http://en.wikipedia....esearch_Program to scan sleds all over the planet and determine their trail usage, mileage, type of sled, speeds, and how many hot dogs are left in their muff-pots.

This is equipment even sled junk does not have!

RFID tags could be built into trail passes.

We could use http://en.wikipedia....esearch_Program to scan sleds all over the planet and determine their trail usage, mileage, type of sled, speeds, and how many hot dogs are left in their muff-pots.

This is equipment even sled junk does not have!

You are right! I don't have this. But, I believe I posted a picture of one of these antenna arrays from the Kap area last year.

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0453.jpg

DSCN0454.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

Edit: :oops: Sorry, I misremembered. :oops:

This is part of the SuperDARN project. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Dual_Auroral_Radar_Network

Still, it was interesting to come across it.

You are right! I don't have this. But, I believe I posted a picture of one of these antenna arrays from the Kap area last year.

DSCN0452.jpg

DSCN0453.jpg

DSCN0454.jpg

DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

Is that the super DARN? That is a really old system now!

Fred

You beat me to it while I was editing my post above.

Archived