OFSC Norh trails link

andreyboater

When I'm looking on OFSC map, I'm thinking, it will be great if trail be connected between Geraldton and Thunder bay. Does anybody have any information regarding how realistic to make that link  work. Does OFSC have any plans regarding that? It's looks like only 300km a parts. 

Untitled.png

Easy.  Just need 2 groomers, and some volunteers.  Would also require some folks to buy permits... That’s the hard part.  Not too many folks with the cash to spend on a permit in the small towns.  The economy still hasn’t really recovered from the forest industry collapse. Maybe when the mine in Greenstone opens?  Most folk that have sleds have gone to either “trapper” style sleds to get to fishing holes, , or deep snow and”cross over” style sleds to do “back country” riding. Not enough interest in trail riding to keep the clubs alive. 

Actually, by now, most of the route has probably seen enough traffic that an average sled and a slightly better than average rider could probably make it, at least as far as Nipigon.  Probably best to trailer it from there, as you start to run into private property issues between there and Thunder Bay.  Gas would be an issue, as I don’t think there’s any between Geraldton and Nipigon.

BP

Not to mention that I didn't see any evidence of grooming or packing was done between Mooseland (Hornepayne highway) and Longlac. Not one single track at any of the road crossings. Not looking promising....

Personally a geraldton to marathon route would be amazing.  Everyone will have a different opinion but I think it could create a great loop system.

Yes it would be a massive undertaking.

4 hours ago, Bucking Pig said:

Easy.  Just need 2 groomers, and some volunteers.  Would also require some folks to buy permits... That’s the hard part.  Not too many folks with the cash to spend on a permit in the small towns.  The economy still hasn’t really recovered from the forest industry collapse. Maybe when the mine in Greenstone opens?  Most folk that have sleds have gone to either “trapper” style sleds to get to fishing holes, , or deep snow and”cross over” style sleds to do “back country” riding. Not enough interest in trail riding to keep the clubs alive. 

Actually, by now, most of the route has probably seen enough traffic that an average sled and a slightly better than average rider could probably make it, at least as far as Nipigon.  Probably best to trailer it from there, as you start to run into private property issues between there and Thunder Bay.  Gas would be an issue, as I don’t think there’s any between Geraldton and Nipigon.

BP

When I did a daytrip in the summer of '16 out of White Lake PP, there WAS gas in Beardmore, & the FN @ Spirit Bay. No sign of gas in Jellicoe.

1 minute ago, gobills said:

Personally a geraldton to marathon route would be amazing.  Everyone will have a different opinion but I think it could create a great loop system.

Agreed. That would be fun. Did the trail from Longlac to Marathon (via Manitouwadge) back in the day.  Great run.

2 minutes ago, zoso said:

This is never going to happen.

On an official basis, true, but I have seen off season pics, & the ATVers are using it.

Just now, Bucking Pig said:

Agreed. That would be fun. Did the trail from Longlac to Marathon (via Manitouwadge) back in the day.  Great run.

X2

2 minutes ago, revrnd said:

When I did a daytrip in the summer of '16 out of White Lake PP, there WAS gas in Beardmore, & the FN @ Spirit Bay. No sign of gas in Jellicoe.

Yes.  I forgot about the Rez.  The issue would be getting there from the pipeline.  Not sure if the gas station in Beardmore is still open. Will check next time I’m that way. 

1 minute ago, Bucking Pig said:

Yes.  I forgot about the Rez.  The issue would be getting there from the pipeline.  Not sure if the gas station in Beardmore is still open. Will check next time I’m that way. 

Would it not be easier to run the Kinghorn railbed?

2 minutes ago, gobills said:

Image result for greenstone loop snowmobile

1 minute ago, revrnd said:

Would it not be easier to run the Kinghorn railbed?

Yes.  In theory.  But CN has placed large concrete barriers at most of the water crossings and a few of the crossings have failed.

We did the 'Greenstone Loop' too. Hearst to Geraldton (stayed there). Rode north and around to Longlac to fuel then off to M'wadge passing by Qwissy's in downtown Caramat. I always remember that name because guys would talk about it on the trailconditions.com message board.

33 minutes ago, Bucking Pig said:

Yes.  In theory.  But CN has placed large concrete barriers at most of the water crossings and a few of the crossings have failed.

OK, I was going to ask you if they had placed anything adjacent to the road crossings.

2 hours ago, revrnd said:

We did the 'Greenstone Loop' too. Hearst to Geraldton (stayed there). Rode north and around to Longlac to fuel then off to M'wadge passing by Qwissy's in downtown Caramat. I always remember that name because guys would talk about it on the trailconditions.com message board.

It really is too bad those trails up there closed. Our government has zero interest in snowmobile tourism. They think the province has a northern border of hwy 7 and simply ignore the north completely. It might help if people up north stopped electing the NDP. they actually think voting in a rep from a party with zero influence is helping them have a voice. Insanity is a word that comes to mind. Image result for 2018 ontario electoral map

7 hours ago, zoso said:

It really is too bad those trails up there closed. Our government has zero interest in snowmobile tourism. They think the province has a northern border of hwy 7 and simply ignore the north completely. It might help if people up north stopped electing the NDP. they actually think voting in a rep from a party with zero influence is helping them have a voice. Insanity is a word that comes to mind. 

Yes, agreed. Not trying to stir up a hornets' nest, but in my opinion, one who votes NDP is usually one who wants something for nothing and consequently ends up with just nothing. 

I think it's just a matter how many people will be involved in a sport and how OFSC will grow. 

Had the occasion to meet and speak to the Gov from D-17 at AGM last fall. One of our topics was reconnecting the D-17 network to the rest of the trail network.  He has not heard any local interest in making that connection. With some of the weather they have had over the last number of months, it’s all they can do to keep what they have going.  And while I bong any personal knowledge, I would suspect that holds true for the rest of the districts/OFSC as well..

and then there is the economics. This has been discussed before and IRRC, it would take a bare minimum of 600 incremental full season permit sales to cover the direct cost of operating the link. I just don’t see that happening. 

So so little to no volunteer support, poor-bad economics....wishful thinking at best but a non-starter for now.

Archived