Summer 2016 Update

revrnd

A couple of notes from this summer's travels:

Harcourt - South Algonquin Resort & Cottages is now Nomi Resort & Wellness 

Marathon - Gloria's Motel & Restaurant is closed

This is a timely thread.

Trail Maps (Guides) will likely go to print soon (usually an August deadline, for distribution at the fall show). Always interesting to see new Trail supporters.

Really like Slomo's (and others) approach to planning trips via supporting businesses.

Thanks for your efforts with the database, Revrnd. It's a great resource. Revrnd >>>>>> Ontario Lodging & Mileage Database:

http://www.sleddersw...ents/ontarioDB/

This is a timely thread.

Trail Maps (Guides) will likely go to print soon (usually an August deadline, for distribution at the fall show). Always interesting to see new Trail supporters.

Really like Slomo's (and others) approach to planning trips via supporting businesses.

Thanks for your efforts with the database, Revrnd. It's a great resource. Revrnd >>>>>> Ontario Lodging & Mileage Database:

http://www.sleddersw...ents/ontarioDB/

I like that approach as well. I try to buy my gas and meals at those establishments that support our sport whenever possible. The same with repairs and maintenance. I see it as filtering some of the money I spend directly back to the trails.

i

https://www.baytoday.ca/local-news/clarion-resort-pinewood-park-sold-372557

With over 50 years of rich history and celebrations, the Pinewood Park has a new ownership team of Jay Virdi and Garry Arora. 

In 1960, John Kennedy wanted to create a holiday haven. He bought the small Evelyn Motel and 100 acres of property adjoining it. His vision included a great motel, dining room, nine-hole golf course, large tent and trailer park, with a small museum and zoo on the grounds. 

When the golf course proved to be more popular than camping, the tent and trailer park was converted into the back nine. John Kennedy’s vision became a reality and the Pinewood Park became the best Motor Inn in Northern Ontario.

“We are very excited to move to North Bay and invest in this iconic landmark. We arrived late last week and are now connecting with the amazing Pinewood Park team to lay out the roadmap for the future” stated Jay Virdi, Managing Director for the Pinewood Park Resort and Conference Centre.  

Sue Ray, General Manager and Jacques (Jake) Lacourse, Assistant General Manager of the Pinewood Park are excited about the new ownership team and the investment they are making in the area and the facility.  “Since the change, the new ownership team have quickly committed to an improvement plan that includes a facelift to the exterior and the modernization of the banquet halls and lighting throughout the facility. It will be a breath of fresh air to be able to work locally, on the ground with Mr. Virdi and Mr. Arora on these improvements and the growth of the Pinewood Park Resort and Conference Centre”, said Ray.

Garry Arora and Jay Virdi have been part of the hospitality industry for years and have successful properties globally says a news release.

This experience, combined with a committed local team, will tap into the storied history that the Pinewood Park Resort and Conference Centre is known for. “Our first step is to meet each of the staff, thank them for their continued dedication and provide them the tools they need to give all of our guests an experience of a lifetime. We are excited to meet the community and be part of the fabric of this beautiful region”, said Garry Arora, Managing Director for the Pinewood Park Resort and Conference Centre.

-----

Original story: One of the city's landmark hotels, the Clarion Resort Pinewood Park in the south end of North Bay has new owners today.

The hotel was sold Friday and will remain operating as usual for the time being. The property comes with an 18 hole executive golf course.

The new owners are from Toronto.

The hotel has a year-round outdoor heated pool, a hot tub and a sauna. Other amenities include a full-service spa, a golf course and event facilities, plus 24/7 snowmobile storage. Dining options feature a pub-style grill, and a course-view restaurant and bar with patio seating.

I've really enjoyed staying there and wish the new owners well..

Foreigners and big businesses buying Family run shops. Never the same.

Truth of the matter is that very few folks as families are up to this task. Just witness the decline of The Jolly Roger since the Muellers sold 

How is someone from Toronto buying it, Foreigners or big business?

Maybe it's someone that has a connection to the area and is tired of the big city rat race and wants to get back to thier roots?

And you have confirmation that "Jack & Jill Smith of Corbeil" were the sellers? I don't think the business was a "mom & pop" operation.

Truth of the matter is that very few folks as families are up to this task. Just witness the decline of The Jolly Roger since the Muellers sold

It's shocking what is left of the once jolly roger.

Wasn't too long ago you could hardly get a seat in the place on the weekends.

Now it's just another franchise that has no idea how to cater to local tourism

It's shocking what is left of the once jolly roger.

Wasn't too long ago you could hardly get a seat in the place on the weekends.

Now it's just another franchise that has no idea how to cater to local tourism

Sadly all it caters to these days is dirt 

Regarding the Pinewood.

With last names as I see them that are not from around here !!!

I would hope that w/ it being a Clarion, the corp' office be interested in the condition of the franchise not going downhill.

the corp office will just rebrand it as a lower quality if it stars to flounder till finally they drop it off the chain.

seen it many many times.

Archived