New Motel in Timmins

revrnd

http://www.timminstimes.com/2015/09/22/gas-leak-forces-brief-shutdown-of-airport-road

Checking Mapsource I'm not sure if this motel will be sled accessible, maybe from the river? Is this construction anywhere near the Eacom sawmill?

The motel is in the corner just down the hill from the high school.  It's right across from Westmount Blvd intersection to airport road.  Trail access might be possible from the river, which you know leads to the trail at the bridge just North at Lafleur Drive.  Yes it's near the sawmill... Eacom as per Google Maps is North of the new motel, are you maybe referring to the old McChestney mill that's right near Algonquin/Riverside ?  Eacom mill I've never seen myself... is that new ?

Look for Westmount Boulevard, it runs east/west, the motel will be near the West end just across Airport road.

I know the 1st year when sledded into Timmins (in the dark) we came in from the SE, hit the river (crossed it the area of the Riverside St. bridge) then worked our way west to the Travelodge. It was probably a good thing I had visited friends in Timmins in the past as I had somthing of an idea how things were laid out.

The Eacom mill site on the river has had a mill on it for years. It burned down & was rebuilt a couple of years ago. I'm not sure who the previous owner was. Eacom also bought the sawmill in Elk Lake. I think in the 70s EB Eddy owned that one.

Ok that makes sense now.  The mill was previously McChesney Lumber, clearly visible from the bridge on Riverside, facing NorthEast.  We happened to be in Timmins the weekend it burned...

So to answer your question, the Mill is a couple of KMs South of the motel site, meaning it is not correctly positioned on Google Maps.  I think what we see on the map is the Timmins sewage treatment plant, IIRC, which is very near that spot on the map.

• 4 weeks later...

yes Eacom owns the new mill

as fare as geting to the new hotal by sled, the river would be the only way.

also timmins inn and suites is now a ramada hotel

and there is a new hotel behind boston pizza, cant remember the name right now

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2015 at 9:24 PM, mooseski said:

and there is a new hotel behind boston pizza, cant remember the name right now

It's a Hampton Inn.

From the pic of Airport Rd on Google Earth, the "Best Western" should be open by now. I can't seem to find any internet presence though.Timmins Motel.JPG Good to see the new motels going in up north.

Wow! And here I thought all they had way up there was log cabins :D

46 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Wow! And here I thought all they had way up there was log cabins :D

Well there's the newish Holiday Inn @ New Liskeard & the Super 8 in Kap. Plus the Microtel in Kirkland Lake. No excuse not to take the missus up north

New micro tell in timmins as well

On 29/10/2016 at 10:36 PM, revrnd said:

No excuse not to take the missus up north

Shhhhh.

OC. com course in "Honey, wish you were here, but the log cabin is too draughty" taught  Saturday mornings in November.

(Didn't I excuse myself to deliver "room service"  from the restaurant across the street to the holiday Inn New Liskeard a few years ago ?)

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Shhhhh.

OC. com course in "Honey, wish you were here, but the log cabin is too draughty" taught  Saturday mornings in November.

(Didn't I excuse myself to deliver "room service"  from the restaurant across the street to the holiday Inn New Liskeard a few years ago ?)

The Green Tomato??

Yep!

The Green Tomato at the Economy Lodge.

IQuiet Turbo (spellcheck did that - why fix it? lol) and other table mates made jokes about trying to gain favours from wife with that across the street room service delivery. The jokes only got better when  I was only 'gone' for 5 minutes. Tough crowd :-P

2 hours ago, soupkids said:

I have a waypoint for it & I think I recall seeing it when it was being built. Not sure what trail acess it like. Looks like a lot of industrial properties around. Is it where Redpath's yard was or further east? Google Earth Streetview is June of 2012 

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

I have a waypoint for it & I think I recall seeing it when it was being built. Not sure what trail acess it like. Looks like a lot of industrial properties around. Is it where Redpath's yard was or further east? Google Earth Streetview is June of 2012 

I seem to recall it being almost across from cedar meadows hotel.

4 hours ago, Canuck said:

Yep!

The Green Tomato at the Economy Lodge.

IQuiet Turbo (spellcheck did that - why fix it? lol) and other table mates made jokes about trying to gain favours from wife with that across the street room service delivery. The jokes only got better when  I was only 'gone' for 5 minutes. Tough crowd :-P

I remember this night fondly. Canuck having dinner with us at the green tomato, then announcing he has to take his wife supper over to the room across the street. I'll be back in a few minutes.. hmm yep he was longer than a few minutes.. Hehe.. sorry had to Canuck.. 

Was a good night..

12 hours ago, soupkids said:

9 hours ago, revrnd said:

Microtel is next to the Walmart parking lot, pretty good trail access ....

Microtel trail.JPG

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Microtel trail.JPG

Damn. A Walmart too. You guys have everything way up there. Here I expected the Hudson Bay Trading Post would be where you bring your furs to get food clothes and everything else you need. :D Sorry. Can't resist. I was talking to a guy who is a fairly recent immigrant yesterday about his perception of northern Ontario. He's still getting used to how much space we have and how far apart things are or how far we travel. One person told him how he travels from Toronto to Barry's Bay to go to the cottage. His comment was that back home he'd be getting close to being in another country. He has yet to be north of Wonderland 

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

Damn. A Walmart too. You guys have everything way up there. Here I expected the Hudson Bay Trading Post would be where you bring your furs to get food clothes and everything else you need. :D Sorry. Can't resist. I was talking to a guy who is a fairly recent immigrant yesterday about his perception of northern Ontario. He's still getting used to how much space we have and how far apart things are or how far we travel. One person told him how he travels from Toronto to Barry's Bay to go to the cottage. His comment was that back home he'd be getting close to being in another country. He has yet to be north of Wonderland 

Hudson's Bay has been gone for decades. It's now North Mart in the far north!

On 2016-10-29 at 9:40 PM, revrnd said:

It's a Hampton Inn.

From the pic of Airport Rd on Google Earth, the "Best Western" should be open by now. I can't seem to find any internet presence though.Timmins Motel.JPG Good to see the new motels going in up north.

not open yet , that hotel has been a long process but they are building a Tim Hortons there beside it , no trail access to this hotel unless u ditch bang for a bit

On 11/1/2016 at 6:58 AM, Denis007 said:

Microtel trail.JPG

Thanks for clearing that up. This is the waypoint that I had:

Timmins.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

As an aside, was this building @ the SW corner of Algonquin & Spruce ever a hotel?

Timmins.JPG

I have a lodging waypoint labelled TIMMINS for this location. Doesn't appear to offer accommodations nowadays, but just curious.

45 minutes ago, revrnd said:

As an aside, was this building @ the SW corner of Algonquin & Spruce ever a hotel?

Timmins.JPG

I have a lodging waypoint labelled TIMMINS for this location. Doesn't appear to offer accommodations nowadays, but just curious.

Not now but years ago there might have been rooms for rent.  The train/bus station was across the street so it'd be a good spot to rent rooms. Definitely apartments upstairs and possibly the DeBeers office as well.  if it's not in that building its across the street to the North.

Thanks Denis. Friends of mine lived in Timmins between '92 & '99. We didn't spend much time downtown, so I don't know much about it.

Archived