Dinner Bell, Bonfield, Review

jedanr

I had an enjoyable stay at the Dinner Bell in Bonfield this past week and ate in their restaurant on several occassions.

The breakfasts were a great way to get a start on the day. I opted for the pancakes one morning with my eggs and the home fries the next. Thats some good home cooking.

For a late lunch one day the hamburger platter was a treat served on one of those fancy ciabatta buns.

The one dinner I had was a bit of a disappointment though. After confirming the hot turkey sandwich was the real stuff and not some processed deli meat I placed my order. I was expecting " turkadacdo"on a plate and instead I received "tiny tom" the christmas turkey nobody wanted to take home. The turkey was a little lacking and the gravy was some lumpy. Needs a little fine tuning.

My favourite find was the butter tarts. Mmmmm Mmmmm. Now I believe the real butter tart product is the one with raisins, not nuts. These units were so unbelievably good that I had to take some for the road. I was considering fedexing them home because I didnt think they would last the trip.

All in all the Dinner Bell does come through with some good home cooking and excellent service. The staff is attentive, helpful and interested in their customers experience.

Yep, the Dinner Bell has been enthusiastically promoted on this and other forums many many times - not sure what various forum paying sponsors think about that.

However, I am of the opinion that now might be a good time to take forum surveys of sledders of all accomodations and restaurants in the North Bay area used by sledders this season. Having the information to present might make it easier to approach all businesses for donations / map sponsorship next year. There would be conclusive proof of how much money sledders were bringing into the community, as well as feedback as to how they viewed accomodations.

Yep, the Dinner Bell has been enthusiastically promoted on this and other forums many many times - not sure what various forum paying sponsors think about that.

However, I am of the opinion that now might be a good time to take forum surveys of sledders of all accomodations and restaurants in the North Bay area used by sledders this season. Having the information to present might make it easier to approach all businesses for donations / map sponsorship next year. There would be conclusive proof of how much money sledders were bringing into the community, as well as feedback as to how they viewed accomodations.

I like this idea.

Co-operate hotel chains won't do anything extra to help clubs maintain trails. Head office doesn't care about us and on a yearly stand point we are a small portion of Thier overall business. This is why we need to support the family run lodges and resorts, since they actually give time,effort and some financial resources back to this sport.

Co-operate hotel chains won't do anything extra to help clubs maintain trails. Head office doesn't care about us and on a yearly stand point we are a small portion of Thier overall business. This is why we need to support the family run lodges and resorts, since they actually give time,effort and some financial resources back to this sport.

Not being a North Bay local, I am not aquainted with the situation much except at the beginning of this season, the only accomodation in the whole of North Bay that Mr. Baker would recommend was the Dinner Bell. His stated reason for this was that no other hotels/motels had contributed to a fund raiser run by the North Bay club. Many, probably most, are map sponsors.

I'm sure that the Dinner Bell is a fine place to stay and eat if that is the kind of facility that suits what you need. Likely the Dinner Bell had its best winter business season ever as well.

However, in the big picture, trying to get future fund raising help might be easier if all accomodation sources were pursuaded to 'buy in'. I am also thinking it would be far easier to get the 'through town trail' improved if a group of business owners go to city council saying that they're loosing business due to people staying away from North Bay because that trail is so bad, as opposed to the club standing alone trying to get it improved. The city has neglected a great way to tie winter vacation travellers to Lake Nipissing activities and sledding to the north.

In one other case, the Crevier gas station in Astorville is not even on the map. Having some exposure to Lake Nosbonsing over the years, the general store/gas station has had a hard time staying open and is constantly for sale. Maybe exposing it to some sled traffic - putting it on the map as a non-sponsor - might make it some money and predispose the owner to becoming a sponsor.

Whether businesses are local or corporate, supporting evidence such as a survey on a couple of sled forums might back a request for funding and other support.

Here's mine Family Weekend 2012:

Torbay Cottages - 3 nights @ $95 plus tax

Shell gas Lakeshore - $60

Churchill's Restaurant - $130.00 (special occasion)

Various convenience /grocery $20

Crevier Gas - Astorville - cofee/muffins - $3

comment: Will seriously consider Sudbury area as alternate destination next time as much less road running.

You made some excellent points slomo. I have stayed at the travelodge on airport road before in Nb. The access trail can be real rough at times. With the new holiday inn, using the same access as well as don cherries and the gas bar there. 500 sleds or more can use it per day. I stay away from north bay for this reason now. I would stay at the dinner bell in s heart beat. I stayed at edgewater in Kearny, family run place was great. Gave me free wifi when I asked and let me use thief phone to call home no charge. They also help the club as well, since they depend on atv'ers as well. These kinds of places appreciate your buisness and trueky want to ensure you cone back. The non sponsor thing Is an idea, but that will tick off the places that paid to have Thier add on the map. If the word gets out everyone will want to have Thier place on the map for free. I think some signs on the trail would help these places out.

I met with a very senior City executive concerning this matter on Thursday morning.

He had some excellent suggestions which we will be following up on and he will do the same.

Even though this section is NOT NBSC territory, we are anxious to see an improvement in the TOP D trail connecting to Trout Lake.

NBSC had this trail 6-7 years ago but gave it up to SS-RSC.

The District Trails Committee has been asked to set up a small Committee of experienced operators, etc. to see what can be suggested to improve this trail(s).

BB - NBSC

BB,

Thanks for the trip planning and advice this year.

Friends from Orillia were very surpised that North Bay was so close by trailer. We'll be back.

Any improvement on the 'ride through town' would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 months later...

is there somewhere to leave a trailer here for 4 days?

No. It is a great spot to stop for one night. Home cooked meals, right on top trail A. Deserts are amazing. Need to book ahead, since they only have like 8 rooms and are a sledder hot spot. Family run defiantly make it one of your stops.

i need somewhere around there i can leave the truck and trailer unless i change my starting point

I find northbay area isn't friendly for trailering parking for several days. A few members have had Thier Vechiles towed out of northbay hotels. Ask baker he is the president of northbay club.

The Dinner Bell has a huge parking lot. Lumber trucks park there.

I hope you can work something out with the owners for long term parking.

We left 3 vehicles with trailers there for four days. Park out of the way so the trucks can still have access and leave your keys with the front desk.

Good to know, thanks Stg.

We left 3 vehicles with trailers there for four days. Park out of the way so the trucks can still have access and leave your keys with the front desk.

For sure...Many places in the north i have been to operate the same way. If your going to be away, leave your keys and make sure you ask where to park first. Also to avoid being towed, it helps to start and at least try and finish your trip at the place where your parking...

........... it helps to start and at least try and finish your trip at the place where your parking...

It's a "must" in our book too. On this occasion we had supper and an overnight there the first night, our loop started the next day and when we returned mid-day on the last day we also had lunch there before getting on the highway home.

• 2 months later...

We've ordered No Parking signs and posts to place next to the ramp at The Portage parking lot at 170 Peninsula Road.

This was a request/complaint about vehicles blocking the loading - unloading ramp.

Portage may install second ramp this winter.

I'm unable to speak about motels in North Bay, they are not in our catchment area - in SS-RSC

BB - NBSC

• 8 months later...

Had supper at the Dinner Bell on way up north last week. Was a great meal. All  homecooked and freshly prepared. Even took a couple butter tarts for the next days treat. :hyper:

Any in town trail is crap at the best of times, and I'm not picking on North Bay, Sudbury are crap as well.

You could run a groomer over the trail 10 times a day and it will still be crap.

It all about volume and intown trails get the worst of it.

Haveing a very good trail base helps a lots but the trail will still be crap.

One trail in Sudbury that I ride a lot goes to crap fast, I have ridden it early in the am only to come back at 4 om and have 4 foot mogels in it.

• 2 months later...

I find northbay area isn't friendly for trailering parking for several days. A few members have had Thier Vechiles towed out of northbay hotels. Ask baker he is the president of northbay club.

See our website at www.nbsc.ca and we list parking locations as follows:

Trailer Parking Locations No Security – Use at Your Own Risk:
  1. Sand Dam Road
    • Right turn off Highway 11 (Algonquin Avenue) approximately 19.5 kms north of Highway 17 intersection
    • Plowed parking lot on your right 100 metres from Highway 11 intersection
    • Sand Dam Road also has a sign “Garbage Disposal”
    • Exit out rear of parking lot and you immediately intersect AA102Q trail.
    • Left to Temiskaming and to NB308 intersection.
    • Right and cross Highway 11 and you immediately intersect TOP AD trail.
  2. The Portage (View Map)
    • 180 Peninsula Road just off Highway 63
    • Plowed parking lot with lighting and a loading ramp.
    • Gas available and restaurant.
    • Located right on TOP AD and seconds to TOP A1, TOP A2 and TOP D.
    • *Permission from Owner required.
  3. Lakeside Drive off of Highway 63 (Trout Lake Road)
    • Plowed parking lot across from Boat Launch.
    • Proceed onto lake and proceed to staked trail TOP D by bearing right.
  4. Redbridge General Store on Highway 63 (View Map)
    • Daily parking only
    • Go down Songis Road 500 metres to access NB300
    • Gas available
  5. The Dinner Bell Restaurant & Hotel (View Map)
    • Highway 17 at Bonfield turnoff (Sec. Hwy 531) on BF201 trail.
    • Restaurant and Motel.

Archived