Postpone vacation today or not?

madlar

Was wondering what some of you think (given you may live in PS area)...I was planning on heading up to PS (800 miles) today for a week of vaca (annual snow trip). I'm thinking of bagging it due to the rain that is coming. I'm 1/2 way there (stopped for the night in PA)...Getting on the road in about an hour...the only question is...do I go north or head back south and hope for some riding in the next 3 weeks...

Was wondering what some of you think (given you may live in PS area)...I was planning on heading up to PS (800 miles) today for a week of vaca (annual snow trip). I'm thinking of bagging it due to the rain that is coming. I'm 1/2 way there (stopped for the night in PA)...Getting on the road in about an hour...the only question is...do I go north or head back south and hope for some riding in the next 3 weeks...

Keep coming it will be fine.It might not even rain up there,and if it does it won't be bad.It is going to be snow the rest of the week.

Hope the drive is going OK. Like HM says, Keep on comin. Your worse case is you'll have to head 100 miles north to Sudbury area. They're not going to get it as warm.

Rain began falling town of Parry Sound this morning about 10 am. Coming down like drizzle north of town. Supposed to turn to rain/snow tomorrow (Monday) and then colder temps during the week. If you wait a couple of weeks you are into March and much longer sunlight periods.

Environment Canada Parry Sound:

That's unbelievable that people were out riding today. And then those same people complain that the trails aren't any good. Just amazing to me.

if you are reading this and you went out riding today on those soft trails.... shame on you!

that's just ignorant.. it hit an all time high of -3 today and yes it did freezing rain, and then rain, but I think your comments are out of line. how come you are the all knowing weather guru?

it was -12 when I went out this morning and didn't start to actually rain until this afternoon. I spent all of 1 hr on the trails in the rain...

WHO LIKES TO RIDE IN THE RAIN?????

man...

if you are reading this and you went out riding today on those soft trails.... shame on you!

Ouch! :poke:

Actual snow conditions were quite good for about 3/4 of the day until winds turned to S/W, temps up a bit and drizzle turned to drops....that's why I'm encouraged for upcoming week.

that's just ignorant.. it hit an all time high of -3 today and yes it did freezing rain, and then rain, but I think your comments are out of line. how come you are the all knowing weather guru?

Actually, the parry Sound airport was reporting 3C at the time I wrote that message. Thanks though. Frankly, for a family board my choice of words were out of line. I admit that. I still however feel that my thoughts on the issue were well warranted. The groomers were out very very late here last night to pack the trails down one last time so that they had a chance of surviving. People tearing across them will undo all of that hard work, and waste all of that money for diesel.

Slomo, sorry if I offended you. I realized after that that you might have been one of those people who rode today.

Let me rephrase:

If anyone is reading this who knowfully rode on a soft, waterlogged trail today, I wish you would have reconsidered beforehand. Was that PC enough?

Well...Decided to cancel late last night. It started raining this am (Allegheny National Forest - nice riding before the rain). I got about 4 miles down the road...and it was a sheet of black ice. 7 car pile up in front of me. Real bummer. We do a GB lake run (PS to Henrys down in Midland or north to Pointe au Baril) so I figure the rain would mess that all up. I'll be up in two weeks hopefully.

For all you folks that can get up, suit up, and ride...I envy you.

BTW...Quality Inn had no problems canceling with less than 24 hrs notice.

Slomo, sorry if I offended you. I realized after that that you might have been one of those people who rode today.

GE, no offense taken...Were things pretty torn up around Manitowaba and the Seguin and this was cause for concern?

Was in town in the am for a hospital visit under drizzle and then out for a short putt-putt to check trails before tying up sled, figuring to get on the ground observations...as mentioned snow conditions around Manitowabing area and north didn't deteriorate much until rain got heavier. Also, was up to my ass in the stuff fastening some no trespassing signs as we've had some visitors....which helped determine rain saturation.Most sledding activity around here had ceased by 1 or 2 pm.

Well...Decided to cancel late last night.

Madlar...hope conditions are better up here next time. Apparently rain is all the way up to French River where it wasn't predicted. I remember this one time we were in Bancroft under a steady rain...stuck head outside at 4 am, 5 am, 6am changed to snow, 9 am was out on the trails with 3 inches of fresh fall. Looks similar for Monday afternoon - maybe.

So the rain is pretty bad? Let me know if things start to look up! Thinking of taking off tomorrow early am (Tuesday) through Sunday...

Just stuck head out the door...rain has stopped and temperature has dropped a couple of degrees...accumulated snow is a bit wet on top....how this equates to packed trails? ..well it is dark. :)

We're heading south around 10 am but maybe give Wildbill a call at Rosseau Road Enterprises to check for later today. My feeling is that the present weather is just a 'finger' sticking up (which one is up to you) and will return to seasonal. Even the weather guys were unsure as to where it would go as it headed up from the States.

According to the Gov. of Ontario highway conditions, highway 400/69 is bare and wet so travelling should be okay.

Temps are dropping and the ground is like a skating rink, no snow yet here in Pointe Au Baril. Just heard on the radio that hwy 69 is closed south due to treacherous conditions.

Wildbill ;

Thanks for the update on the Sequin! We will be up Wednesday and running the Sequin to Sprucedale, do you think the groomers will be out or are the trails beyond that ?

Rage

I left Lake Manitouwabing this morning around 10:30AM. Rained pretty heavy last night for several hours. The lake was completely brown this morning :cry: . In my area we lost about half the snow but it was turning colder and flurries. Driving out this morning I popped in to check the C bypass around McDougall Road and well its flooded in its typical spots. Should freeze up over the next few days but we will need a good foot of new snow to fill in the washouts and icy sections.

Trails were perfect on saturday and traffic was rather light.

Wildbill ;

Thanks for the update on the Sequin! We will be up Wednesday and running the Sequin to Sprucedale, do you think the groomers will be out or are the trails beyond that ?

Rage

I expect that they will be out lots of good base ..

That's unbelievable that people were out riding today. And then those same people complain that the trails aren't any good. Just amazing to me.

I wasn't out riding this area on Sunday.................but I was out riding.............225 miles that day. 80 miles in the freezing rain..................why??? Because we were saddlebagging it and had to make it to our next destination. :wtf:

You don't have control of the weather when you're out there riding, some of us don't have the choice to go, or not go! When you need to be home on a certain day, you do what you can to get there!

Even this! This was Monday on our way home.

What do we do??? Actually, we found another way to get on Lake tomiko..............but it was all water...and slush! Drove through miles of that!

P2180252.jpg

I wasn't out riding this area on Sunday.................but I was out riding.............225 miles that day. 80 miles in the freezing rain..................why??? Because we were saddlebagging it and had to make it to our next destination. :wtf:

You don't have control of the weather when you're out there riding, some of us don't have the choice to go, or not go! When you need to be home on a certain day, you do what you can to get there!

What do we do??? Actually, we found another way to get on Lake tomiko..............but it was all water...and slush! Drove through miles of that!

P2180252.jpg

That doesn't look like much fun.. Where exactly is Lake Tomiko?? It wasn't that messy around Sudbury was it??

That looks scary! :shock:

P2180252.jpg

That doesn't look like much fun.. Where exactly is Lake Tomiko?? It wasn't that messy around Sudbury was it??

Crystal Falls................................the lakes got much better, Kukagami, Wanupatie were fine. These lakes were brutal.

P2180250.jpg

This was one of the other lakes we crossed, was better than Tomiko but not much better. 1- 1 1/2 feet of slush.

P2180256.jpg

Hey Evil! :wavey: Thanks for the pics (I think) :shock: That doesn't look like much fun :( The weekend started out so beautiful with some of the best trail conditions (in some areas that were groomed that is) :? And very quickly went to CRAP as the temps rose to above 0 by noon on Sunday and the rain set in and the washouts started. I was thinking about all those who were saddlebaggin it this weekend and said to Mr. Giddy - "I sure wouldn't want to be on a saddle bag trip this weekend - that would be nasty!".

I know there were allot of blown up sleds by Monday - I was into the dealer yesterday and they had a whole bunch in there getting fixed with blown engines from this past weekend!!! :o

You are absolutely right, however, you do what you have to do to make it to your next destination when you are out there on the trails and the conditions turn for the worse! You don't have a choice when you are on a saddlebag trip and sometimes hundreds of miles away from your truck and trailer - because I know if it was me - I would want to click my heels together and have my truck and trailer appear out of nowhere and load my sled on the spot!!! Unfortunately those things only happen in fairy tales. You certainly don't expect this kind of weather and drastic turn in trail conditions in the middle of February after planning a great long weekend saddlebag trip! Under other circumstances I'm sure you wouldn't have ventured out on your sled in those conditions - I know you as well as I value my sled too much to put it through that crap if I can help it! Those toys just cost too much $$$ :shock: to abuse!

:wavey:

Archived