Canyon loop

Akronsnow

What is the milage ofr the canyon loop? I would like to know what each half is, Trying to plan out our trip and I want to see if we can fit it in. What do most people do stay in Cochrane and do the east side first or in Smooth rock and do the west side first ? Thanks

I did the canyon last year, travelled with my wife and another couple, we stayed at the North Adventure Inn In Cochrane ( 1-877 891-5858 ) my machine showed 226 km from start to ending up at Moose Motel in SmoothRocks Falls ( 1705-338-2300 ) it was a full day, there is gas at the top, there is place to warm up, drinks/snacks, washrooms etc. We where heading for Hearst the next day, what an awesome trip. Hope you can fit it in to your schedule.

The shorter leg is the west side, so folks gas up in SRF, then the fill up @ the trailer isn't as much. One year up north we rode east from Kap, then did the west & east sides of the loop before arriving in Cochrane.

Very likely the fastest 200 miles in the whole trail system. Cochrane to Smoothrock and then up on the first leg is your best bet.

What is the mileage on the west side to SRF? If I recall the east side is 90 miles from Cochrane to canyon. I know I can make the whole loop using the 3.5 gal tote of fuel on my rev, just don't recall the west side mileage.

What is the mileage on the west side to SRF? If I recall the east side is 90 miles from Cochrane to canyon. I know I can make the whole loop using the 3.5 gal tote of fuel on my rev, just don't recall the west side mileage.

The 2010 District 15 Trail map shows 89km(55mi) for the west side and 150km(93mi) for the east side. 2012 District 15 trail map only shows 220km(136mi) for the entire loop. This doesn't quite get you back to Cochrane, but it's very close.

Is anybody going to be doing this loop next week? Anyone know the price of fuel is at the canyon?

We will likely do this loop one day next week... Monday or Tuesday

OMG... that's $9.12 per gallon.

Put some fuel in at the top of the loop. It's 'win - win'.

They're there to provide a service. I never felt gouged in year's past, and it was comforting to know that 'someone' was up there.

Many of us will spend $8.00 in Tim Horton's, but then get a bit jumpy about the price of fuel in outposts such as this.

I haven't up to Fraserdale in a few years. It used to be that they would haul 55 gallon drums back and forth so we could have gas. It's the only way we can do this loop or go to Moosonee. We'll spend a bunch on our machines, gear and beer, but not when it comes to gas. This is not a sport in which you participate if you're sensitive about the cost.

That is still how they get the fuel there.

We rode form Hearst to SRF on saturday, then we ran the Canyon on the way back to the NAI in cochrane. My 2010 IQ turbo LX and our 2011 Ski-doo gsx-se 1200 both were full at SRF, and took about not quite half a tank each at the trailer. Was about $60 total between both sleds. I figure its cheap, when there the only ones with gas...

Not complaining. Fun costs bucks. We will definitely do it. The guy coming with me (only two of us) didn't get to do the canyon last time.

We hope to ride the canyon this weekend. leaving from matheson heading to Kap. on the way back we hope to do the loop West to East and then back down to Matheson

Archived