WANTED-knowledge about North Bay area

LondonCalling

Despite the rain and mild temps. I am going to make an attempt to ride the North Bay regions trails this coming weekend.

I'm looking for some information about accommodations that have trail access.

Basically we just want a place to lay our head at night. The lower the price the better. Motel dives are welcome as long as they are clean.

If anyone has any actual links for accommodations, I would be indebted.

Second, some advice about where to ride, ie specific trails and destinations are also welcomed.

for a dive with entertainment you won't find anything better than the Moe-Zee-On-Inn also comes with trail access out to the lake.

no amenities, bring your own mattress and bedding as the hotel's may be a little suspect .

leave the bride at home

If you are riding south of NB and get to Powassan, I recommend KUDOS restaurant . It is right on the trail and the food was excellent, as was the service. We stopped in there Sunday and it was a welcome surprise.

Enjoy your ride.

I always stayed at the travel lodge on airport road. There is gas right there and a land trail nb301 I believe that goes out to the a trail. Great spot, just people are complaining about the price. Nb Is expensive all around, good luck.

for a dive with entertainment you won't find anything better than the Moe-Zee-On-Inn also comes with trail access out to the lake.

no amenities, bring your own mattress and bedding as the hotel's may be a little suspect .

leave the bride at home

LMAO!

Reminds me of a friend saying her co-worker's wedding shower was being held @ the Dynasty in Oshawa. She took a pass on it.

London: check the link in my sig' for accommodation info.

If you are riding south of NB and get to Powassan, I recommend KUDOS restaurant . It is right on the trail and the food was excellent, as was the service. We stopped in there Sunday and it was a welcome surprise.

Enjoy your ride.

SJ , Is there a spot to launch for the day in Powasson and ride north ?, I believe I heard there is some Road rash there also , we would come up from BB early morning , ride all day and go home

Muskoka Man,

I'd recommend you head a little further north, and turn right (east) on Trout Lake Road. We used to just park on a side street (if no snowfall immenent) and run day trips on the local NB trails. You can pick up the A Trail there, take it to NB302 for a loop; or do any of the NB trails (300, 303, 304 or 305). There's always the run out to Mattawa and back, as well.

We used to do day trips in this fashion from Midland.

Local input will dictate whether you sled up from Powasson or drive an extra 1/2 hour and try the NB trails.

Thanks Canuck thats about everthing I need to know , You say to go further up is this because of the better snowfall or is there some iffy trails around Powasson ?

MM

Thanks Canuck thats about everthing I need to know , You say to go further up is this because of the better snowfall or is there some iffy trails around Powasson ?

MM

Trail into Powassan from the south was great on Sunday!

You'll see for yourself while driving. There's either snow on 'dem rocks around Trout Creek and Powasson, or there isn't.

Also, the area to the north of North Bay has wonderful, changing elevation. Almost an escarpment. Not only are there great views, but the shade between the peaks keeps the snow from melting.

Pack some water, lunch and snacks. It's one of those trips - just you and mother nature, without any gas stations or restaurants. Don't poke around too long on NB trails and then try for Mattawa, as there's no gas in between (not an issue for current sleds).

Really enjoyed your early season ride reports these past 2 years MM, and glad to assist with what little North Bay knowledge I can share.

MM

I've personally ridden TOP D just south of Trout Lake & saw some reports elsewhere that it can get mogulled really bad.

Thanks Again Canuck , its cool parking on the side of the street on trout lake , just want to make sure everthings there whe I get Back , just going to wait on some trail updates from the NB gang and make our plan

The parking lot @ the boat launch on Lakeside Dr. is a good spot when the lake is safe to run. I used it a couple of years ago to stage when I couldn't ride from a friend's house. I'd head east down the lake towards Corbeil/Bonfield rather than south. The railbed south of Astorville was very sketchy for snow, even though the rest of the region had ample amounts.

We parked on a side street, no issues. Truck was there, never any tickets.

You could re-post this in the North Bay forum (with a link to this topic) and see if any of those riders have input.

I think that the "Portage" restaurant is in this area (we always go there by sled, not road) - I'll bet you can park it there if you ask/have dinner upon your return.

The parking lot @ the boat launch on Lakeside Dr. is a good spot

Not familiar with Lakeside Drive.

Lakeshore Drive is on Lake Nipissing, and you don't want to start from there in this mild weather.

If Lakeside is up on Trout Lake, go for it.

(oddly enough, Trout Lake is not marked on the Interactive Guide. It's the lake with trail A1 running across it, 6 km east of Lake Nippising. Huge body of water).

Lakeside Dr. runs off Hwy 63 @ the west end of Trout Lake (the east side of North Bay).

The portage is a good place to start from but it isn't called the portage anymore not sure what it is named now.

keep the info coming fellas, it certainly helps

The portage is a good place to start from but it isn't called the portage anymore not sure what it is named now.

I was going to say McCoy's, but this year's Dist' 11 map has an ad for The Portage Restaurant. It's located @ the north shore of Trout Lake where TOP AD heads north towards the pipeline.

Lakeshore suites motel travelodge north bay lakeshore howard johnsons or bay motel

anyone know if these are likely to have trail access without trailering? Yes im planning on bringing my own bedding lol bay motel looks like a truck stop for lot lizzards maybe

After zooming way in on the interactive map, I really only have 2 questions.

1) the green trail that is still shown near the shore of L Nippissing, is it really good to ride with the recent weather

2) can you get to it from anywhere everywhere on lakeshore drive

Posted Today, 08:40 PM

snapback.pngextreme600, on 24 January 2012 - 08:23 PM, said:

Well here goes. I am going to rate the trails on a scale of 1 to 10. First of all we put on 180 miles today.

No gas at Rock Pine in Marten River. Not good. Place was busy today

Trail BF201 from dinner bell was a 7/10

A trail from BF201 9/10

A2 trail goes a little on trout lake to The portage 7/10 could use a little more snow (which it was snowing as we cam back on the trail)

AD from portage to A102Q 7/10

AD from A102Q to Tilden lake-awesome 10/10

A trail Tilden lake to Rock Pine in Marten river 4/10 very rough. Thankfully those rush chasis like that junk

A trail from Marten River to Temagami (for gas) was 7/10. Doesn't look like they groomed it but still was pretty good. Lots of snow

Lakes look like they should fair well from this cold weather. There was a glare on them and some slushy spots near the shore.

All in all not a bad day. Groomers are down in Marten River and North Bay. This colder weather helped the trails out as the day went on. The rain really didn't seem to harm to much actually. Just need to be groomed when groomers are all working than it would be awesome. Quite a few people out actually. Will post a few pics later. Didn't take too many due to the blizzard like conditions on our way back from Temagami. LOL

Tomorrow we are planning on going to Mattawa. Will report later.

P.S. When we were in Rock Pine guys told us their ride from Sudbury to Marten River via the D trail was aweome through River Valley. Another group told us that the trails in New Liskeard and Earlton were really hit hard by the rain. Not much left. They drove to Marten River to find snow.

Thanks for the very informative report, this first I've received.

Better than I expected for sure.

NBSC - North groomer being fixed today & tonight, welding & spring replacement

NBSC - Redbridge groomer should be ready tomorrow - bent dozer blade 7 weld broken brush cutter

NBSC - Conewango - pickup dropped drag on TOP A2

Sounds promissing, I'm coming up Thursday with my son (he's very excited) Will be staying at the comfort inn Lakeshore dr. London calling By the way the trail is right across the street

Archived