Gowganda,Elk lake, Matachewan Trails Updates

Gowganda Lake Camp

Trails work is in progress thanks to the additional snow last thurs/friday. The guys on the north end have been working on the "A" trail North of Elk Lake towards Kirkland. From what I hear it should be opening by the weekend ( probably as Limited).

I was supposed to head toward Elk Lake on monday but the tractor had other plans... so monday ended up being tractor repair day. I groomed from Gowganda to Elk Lake today where Urs met up with me tonight and is grooming back to Gowganda as I type. The snow conditions are almost perfect for the first pass. The plan for the A107C is to have it open by the weekend also ( probably "limited" condition) I took a few pictures today, will post soon

Started snowing on the trip between Longpoint and Elk Lake, still snowing good.. :D :D

Ron

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds good Ron.

Just to let all of you know, they are plowing Grassy Lake Road AGAIN............will not be grooming our end (STTP) of Matachewan.

Kelly

Thanks for the update Ron, how was the packing? We packed it at xmas time while up with the commander rig we built then with the sleds last week. Hope that domtar swap was good. Most of the signs were up that we found and stood up and attached hope it all worked out good for you guys.

Also with L136 were going to get in there and start packing that one with the can am packer hopefully this weekend if I can get a trailer borrowed to bring it back up!

Wow,

If I'm reading this right, you're from Gooderham, which is near Minden, and assisting with trail work in the Gowganda trail system.

Bravo!

Correct Canuck we have a place on the system and love it to be top notch. These guys have some of the best trails around!

Wow,

If I'm reading this right, you're from Gooderham, which is near Minden, and assisting with trail work in the Gowganda trail system.

Bravo!

And another Big Bravo to 4 guys who have a camp over in Gowganda, took a ride here to Shining Tree for lunch and fuel and volunteered to help break the trail across a chain of lakes with my groomer operator.....A Big Thanks

Thanks for the report. We'll be through on the 27th or 28th. We'll stop this time. Promise.

Sounds like thing should be in fair shape by next weekend

Should be in decent shape by next weekend. Trained a young guy on the groom trip to Shining tree the other day. He is picking it up real quick. Trail to shining tree is real decent now. The trail to Elk lake will need another groom to clean up and I think that is supposed to happen if the weather cooperates early this week. Trails will probably show closed until tues. or wed.. Still finishing signing.

Not good news from Kelly on the C106.

Jamie if you get to the L136 before we do you may want to hit that with sleds before the commander. It is very rocky and there are a couple mud traps under the snow that may suck up the bike. Thanks for the early packing towards Elk lake. In the 6 years of going through that section it was probably the best first trip over the rock garden ;) No major issues through the Domtar swamp but may have to do something more permanent .

Will keep you updated

Ron

ps..

And another Big Bravo to 4 guys who have a camp over in Gowganda, took a ride here to Shining Tree for lunch and fuel and volunteered to help break the trail across a chain of lakes with my groomer operator.....A Big Thanks

Yep thats a great bunch of guys. Always eager to help. They did some brushing for us and helped me map out a new connector leaving gowganda towards Elk Lake. Once finished it will eliminate any road riding east of Gowganda plus it's going to be a nice scenic change.

They were pretty impressed with your generosity too :woot:

Ron

Sounds great Ron , hope to get up to you and Giselle this winter , do you have lots of miners around ? will you have room for the old Muskoka Man ?

Yep thats a great bunch of guys. Always eager to help. They did some brushing for us and helped me map out a new connector leaving gowganda towards Elk Lake. Once finished it will eliminate any road riding east of Gowganda plus it's going to be a nice scenic change.

They were pretty impressed with your generosity too :woot:

Ron

Ron,

Does this proposed new route to Elk Lk take the place of the large swing that the A107C takes to the south before heading east to Elk Lk? Do you hope to have it open this year? Could you briefly describe its' route.

See you Feb 18th

Kyle Roenigk

Ron,

Does this proposed new route to Elk Lk take the place of the large swing that the A107C takes to the south before heading east to Elk Lk? Do you hope to have it open this year? Could you briefly describe its' route.

See you Feb 18th

Kyle Roenigk

Hi Kyle

(Just throwing in an edit here Kyle) ( I have not checked the on-line map for our area until after replying to your post. We changed the route between Elk Lake and Gowganda a year and a half ago. I did not get the new GPS track to the OFSC until this Oct. but thought it would have changed on the interactive map by now. The new route now consists of you only travelling 9 km's down Beauty lake road (instead of 26) and then turning right on a beauty trail that is double wide heading strait to Gowganda. Last year it spit you out on the highway about 4-5 km's east of town. Then you did some road riding to gowganda. Now it still brings you out in the same spot but we are going to put you back into the bush for 10 k and bring you into Gowganda without wearing down your wear bars or sliders :lol:

Nope .. Mostly different. If you remember the last section you took off the north end of Stumpy lake ( what we call the road to stumpy) We will be re-using that 5km's but then just before you get to Stumpy there is a new clear cut to the east (toward Elk Lake)... We have to cut a few trees , then go throught the small cut and jump on the road they used which travels back up to the highway and joins the new route to Elk Lake. It is a pretty sweet ride and is going to work very well in Feb. when the sun starts melting the highway. No worries you will love it.

Ron

hope this helps

Sounds great Ron , hope to get up to you and Giselle this winter , do you have lots of miners around ? will you have room for the old Muskoka Man ?

Hi MM..

We have some mining exploration going on but we are saving a few cottages for our sledders.... I will definatly post when trails are sweet and it is worth your while.. I hope Feb. is more stable than Jan. The temps are crazy , -35 then within 24 hrs 0 deg .... wierd for January. Supposed to get some freezing rain and rain tomorrow but that won't hurt us .. Might help make a base :icon_hyper:

Ron

Feb sounds good Ron , I was in Cochrane 2 times this winter already , so Ive used up all brownie with the Wife , The boss , The Visa

MM

Lets hope you get your usual 4 Ft of white gold

Just looking @ TopoCanada it would appear that the new route cuts off about half of the "horseshoe" in A107C.

post-19781-0-98337500-1327287749_thumb.jpg

Kris, The new route Ron mentioned does cut off all that horeshoe. We rode it the winter before last from Ron's to Elk Lake and it was great! It sure beat the 26km of plowed Beauty lake road on a past trip.. Ron & his club are doing a great job up there.

Just looking @ TopoCanada it would appear that the new route cuts off about half of the "horseshoe" in A107C.

Are TOPO maps free and on line ?

Are TOPO maps free and on line ?

Check my top map thread in the Main Clubhouse.

Ron, thanks for the updates and we tried to get her easier for you guys. I guess our little contraption paid off! Hopefully next time we will be able to actually make it all the way home without breaking it lol! Its too late now but it should help open the trail to gowganda too next year. Its fast too behind the commander it can cruise at 30km like nothing so its easy to get it done.

let me know with a pm if you still need groomer help, I can usually get up there thursday evenings early so I could run from long point to elk lake and back when I get there if its something you guys are interested in. I need to get up there and pick up a few signs too.

Im really glad the brushing and the packing helped out. I have some plans for that little creek crossing just outside town try to get that done this weekend when Im back up. Trail was pretty darn good for the first pass, I always enjoy it more when there is less snow the terrain is more fun. Sure is nice no running over all those tag alders!

When we rode from Timmins to Gowganda in '08, there was a plowed road west of town between Owl Lake & Hwy 560. Is it plowed or not?

Sorry about all the questions, just like to know what to expect. The reroute east of town will be nice to get off the Beauty Lake Rd. The gravel was pretty close to the top when we rode thru there the last time.

Archived