Gowganda,Elk lake, Matachewan Trails Updates

Gowganda Lake Camp

When we rode from Timmins to Gowganda in '08, there was a plowed road west of town between Owl Lake & Hwy 560. Is it plowed or not?

Sorry about all the questions, just like to know what to expect. The reroute east of town will be nice to get off the Beauty Lake Rd. The gravel was pretty close to the top when we rode thru there the last time.

I think you are talking about what they call Spear Lake road. The only section plowed this year is a 1-2 k section near Cripple lake but it is not to the dirt. Still lots of snow pack.

As for beauty lake road ., There will be options until March. you will be able to run the road or take the trail . The road is nice but will be plowed in March.

Hope this helps.

Ron

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A107C update.

Our new groomer op is grooming between Gowganda and Elk Lake now , and then will be heading toward Shining tree next. When I return from T.O. early next week we will finish the re-route coming into Gowganda from the east. Until then the trail spits you out on the road which brings you to town.

The A trail north of Elk Lake toward Kirkland is good , and you can get into Matachewan on the C106. C106 has been groomed west of Matach to Campbel lake but not signed , still waiting for confirmation on the fate of the other side to Grassy road. There is still a chance it will be groomed.

Maybe later next week the L136 can be started.

Ron

Ron, thanks for the info! From what I remember the "Spear Lake Rd." wasn't scratchy, just plowed. The Beauty Lake Rd was a different story.

A107C update.

Our new groomer op is grooming between Gowganda and Elk Lake now , and then will be heading toward Shining tree next. When I return from T.O. early next week we will finish the re-route coming into Gowganda from the east. Until then the trail spits you out on the road which brings you to town.

The A trail north of Elk Lake toward Kirkland is good , and you can get into Matachewan on the C106. C106 has been groomed west of Matach to Campbel lake but not signed , still waiting for confirmation on the fate of the other side to Grassy road. There is still a chance it will be groomed.

Maybe later next week the L136 can be started.

Ron

Ron,

Is the L136 a later opening trail due to its' "local" status versus being a "TOP" trail? Or are there other reasons? Revrnd, myself and 2 others are starting and ending our trip from your place. Leaving on Feb 19 and returning Feb 25. Feb 18 is trailer up day. Rooms are booked. See you then.

Ron,

Is the L136 a later opening trail due to its' "local" status versus being a "TOP" trail? Or are there other reasons? Revrnd, myself and 2 others are starting and ending our trip from your place. Leaving on Feb 19 and returning Feb 25. Feb 18 is trailer up day. Rooms are booked. See you then.

Sweet!!!

The L136 is later due to it being a local trail and also because it takes more snow for the few km's in the center to cover the rough terrain. Unfortunatly we were low on snow until a short time ago, but are in pretty good shape now so it's a hurry up and get things in shape.. L136 should be good by then.

See you on the 18th.. Tks

Ron

no problem revrnd. When are you heading through?

I guess you've already got that answer ;) .

Trails Update Feb. 1

After a few days of groomer tractor troubles the tractor is moving again. A107C towards Shining tree is freshly groomed and the groomer started towards Elk lake Today , hopefully to finish thursday. Just looked at some of the trail our new operator did and I think he's got it. The trail looked nice.

The L136 will be cleared by the weekend and hopefully we will start grooming on the weekend .

Had some help from our friends ( a gang of sledders from Norwich ) and the new route leaving Gowganda to bypass the road riding has been cut and cleared. If all goes well I am packing and grooming that on Friday .... so should be good for the weekend.

Will try to update more often now that things are settling down. 8-)

Ron

Awsome Ron , sounds like it time to ride , I E-Mailed you

MM

Ron,

Sorry we missed you on Saturday. Dana took good care of us. Thanks for all of your effort in getting and keeping the trails open.

Ron,

Sorry we missed you on Saturday. Dana took good care of us. Thanks for all of your effort in getting and keeping the trails open.

I heard I missed you guys. Hey it's a small club and it sometimes takes a little longer getting going but once were up the trails are usually pretty nice. You guys came through on a weekend filled with problems , but it should be a 180 by this weekend..

Hope to meet up with you soon

Ron

Hey Ron - we're coming up to stay with you on the 11th... sounds like everything is coming together for us just in time... do you know anything about C106A? ... can't wait to ride the trails in your area...

Ron,

We made it through, sorry we missed you. We'll just hav e to come back. i know things werent perfect but that's what creates memories. Our little foursom had a blast and would do it all over in heart beat.

Hey Ron - we're coming up to stay with you on the 11th... sounds like everything is coming together for us just in time... do you know anything about C106A? ... can't wait to ride the trails in your area...

From what I can tell from previous posts, the only section of C106A to be groomed this winter will be from the L136 jct' east to Matachewan & TOP A. For Shining Tree to groom their portion to Campbell Lake the groomer would be running up the plowed Grassy Lake Rd, then only groom a short stretch of trail.

I was hoping to ride C106A this winter because the last time in '04 we were dealing w/ a major snowfall, but the trail was in great shape.

From what I can tell from previous posts, the only section of C106A to be groomed this winter will be from the L136 jct' east to Matachewan & TOP A. For Shining Tree to groom their portion to Campbell Lake the groomer would be running up the plowed Grassy Lake Rd, then only groom a short stretch of trail.

I was hoping to ride C106A this winter because the last time in '04 we were dealing w/ a major snowfall, but the trail was in great shape.

Thanks revrnd... appreciate the info... and yes - that trail is always awesome...

Revrnd is correct. Our groomer in Matach has groomed that trail a couple times earlier, but we have bee told that the West side of Campbel lake will not be done because of the logging on the Grassy. (Bummer... makes a nice loop )

Trail update Feb. 6

A107c, A trail out of Elk Lake, and the C106A into between Matach and the A trail are all in good shape.

We did get the new route into Gowganda on the east side town opened on the weekend to eliminate road riding. Now the work is on the L136 to get it completed asap. Tractor is supposed to head up the bottom side today to pack and I think right back in again tomorrow to groom it up after the cold temps tonight. We have some work in the center section "as always" to smooth that out as nice as possible.

Ron

Trail update Feb. 6

A107c, A trail out of Elk Lake, and the C106A into between Matach and the A trail are all in good shape.

We did get the new route into Gowganda on the east side town opened on the weekend to eliminate road riding. Now the work is on the L136 to get it completed asap. Tractor is supposed to head up the bottom side today to pack and I think right back in again tomorrow to groom it up after the cold temps tonight. We have some work in the center section "as always" to smooth that out as nice as possible.

Ron

After the L136 is up and running, does it get groomed from both sides? Meaning Gowganda and Matachewan.

I'm headed up on Thursday I hope with the new tool for that center section. Good seeing you guys trail side there saturday. Nice re route as well going to be much better come march!

After the L136 is up and running, does it get groomed from both sides? Meaning Gowganda and Matachewan.

Yes it does. We don't put the tractors through the middle section but both ends are groomed . Matach has about 20 k and we have about 15 k groomed.

Today myself and Mike from Matach spent the better part of the day working on the center section. I made a small drag to pull through there and we widend/smoothed it out. We also did some brushing and covering of rocky sections with that brush and covered with snow. Another day or two in there and it will be good to go.

I'm headed up on Thursday I hope with the new tool for that center section. Good seeing you guys trail side there saturday. Nice re route as well going to be much better come march!

Good meeting up with you and your dad. See you on the trail.

Ron

It looks like my nephew (30cal4me's son) is there as part of our advance party.

post-19781-0-36342200-1328745826_thumb.jpg

Trails update Feb. 8

All of our trails are getting better with every groom. The A trail north of Elk lake towards Kirkland is in good shape. The C106A from the A trail to Matach is good also. The C106A west of Matach is only open to the top of the L136 because of the logging on the Shining tree end of the C106A.

The A107C from Elk lake to Gowganda is getting groomed tonight and tomorrow night. The A107C from Gowganda West toward Shining tree and the Ctrail was groomed last night and it is in good shape. ( I am hoping M.M. has some good video to show)

The L136 is getting close to being able to open .. A few more days on that and it will be good to go.

Happy Sledding

Ron

It looks like my nephew (30cal4me's son) is there as part of our advance party.

post-19781-0-36342200-1328745826_thumb.jpg

Ha Ha.... No . That is my oldest boy Jack wearing out the ice and our old tundra. :lol: It is fun what they pick up watching other sledders. He did most of his riding standing up like a snowcrosser...

Archived