2011/ 2012 Haliburton Thread

Fred Quimby

So how much snow is left freedy??

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far, we did not lose any snow. It was drizzling a little last night, then it started to snow and we got another inch. Sitting close to ten inches.

I am really praying that tomorrow does not bring rain and warm temps. Another few inches and the club could start grooming. The stuff on the ground now is heavy and dense.

Back in the 80's the HCSA worked with haliburton county and the county and the townships purchased 6 br100 groomers for the HCSA this was thier first reliable industrial grooming equipment. Under the command of Tom Prentice the grooming operations were second to none and as a result so were the trails. This led to a snowmobile boom that was just unbelievable and went on until 1989 when the exec of the day decided to dispose of Tom and "his" guys the hcsa trails fell apart huge and disgustingly then. That exec has moved on and it looks like this exec continues to put things back together and I wish them luck as my first introduction to groomed trails and volunteering with a club was there.

Tom was doing the grooming when I started riding. The HCSA went from a really ugly club to one on the move and they sure did have great trails. I also remember the trail system going to pot too. The club as of the last few years has worked hard, and things are improving. I just don't understand why there is a new Pres. every year? I would think that having a president and executive maintain their positions for at least a couple seasons would be more conducive to doing business and seeing projects through.

Tom was doing the grooming when I started riding. The HCSA went from a really ugly club to one on the move and they sure did have great trails. I also remember the trail system going to pot too. The club as of the last few years has worked hard, and things are improving. I just don't understand why there is a new Pres. every year? I would think that having a president and executive maintain their positions for at least a couple seasons would be more conducive to doing business and seeing projects through.

There isn't any requirement to change pres or exec each year so I imagine they get burned out and don't want the job a second year in a row.

There isn't any requirement to change pres or exec each year so I imagine they get burned out and don't want the job a second year in a row.

I was wondering about that. I had heard that a new pres/ exec gets elected if somebody steps up to the post. There is probably a lot of burn out and time commitment. This is too bad. Just when the ball gets rolling there is a new pres and the direction shifts or changes.

As a club pres I can tell you that the load is too large and I know that the hcsa load is huge as well as the politics and different agendas . God bless all those who work for great trails.

As a club pres I can tell you that the load is too large and I know that the hcsa load is huge as well as the politics and different agendas . God bless all those who work for great trails.

Well said Bill and thanks for the dedication you and your family bring to the sport.

Haliburton Forest is likely to be up and running within a few days. http://www.haliburtonforest.com/ Their trails run independent of water crossings and lakes. They run on logging trails and roadbed that is closed to cars etc in the Winter. Our local club policy dictates that there is a full foot of snow before they start grooming. As of this morning there is maybe a solid eight inches down.

Good and cold overnight. -12.

Short on band width so can't send pictures, but have been at HF since Friday afternoon. Friday afternoon trails would be classified as limited with quite a bit of snow for lube, but undercover of snow there is gravel. Was out Saturday morning at 6:30 am to beat the rush and got about 130 kilometers in before the rush started at noon. Quite a few sleds Saturday and trails pretty beat.

Supposed to be more snow this pm so waiting for that and Monday. Should bring ear plugs if sledding here - sound of gravel on skiis a heartbreaker, but replacing carbides cheaper than gas to Cochrane and a lot warmer here. Good burger at restaurant.

Short on band width so can't send pictures, but have been at HF since Friday afternoon. Friday afternoon trails would be classified as limited with quite a bit of snow for lube, but undercover of snow there is gravel. Was out Saturday morning at 6:30 am to beat the rush and got about 130 kilometers in before the rush started at noon. Quite a few sleds Saturday and trails pretty beat.

Supposed to be more snow this pm so waiting for that and Monday. Should bring ear plugs if sledding here - sound of gravel on skiis a heartbreaker, but replacing carbides cheaper than gas to Cochrane and a lot warmer here. Good burger at restaurant.

Boy you got back into the sport with a vengence! Glad you are having fun we have carbides enjoy your time.

Did you get a season's pass in their? Lol It is great in their in feb. Anyone doing the poker run on the 19th of feb???

I love the poker runs. That is when the throttle jockeys are all doing that and the club trails are empty, so I enjoy them instead. The poker runs are fun though!

Excellent positive article!

love to see orillia to minden trail re opened....heard bruce from carden has taken over beaverton trails...minden trail also he`s area

love to see orillia to minden trail re opened....heard bruce from carden has taken over beaverton trails...minden trail also he`s area

Heart of Ontario still maintains the Beaverton trails. We meet up with Carden after crossing RR 48 (old Hwy 48) at the swing bridge. Incidentally, this section of trail may be rerouted to avoid the road running east and north of Beaverton as the ploughs have been scraping down to dirt right out to the ditches.

It would be nice if Carden will actually open the section north of 48 as it has been unsigned and unmaintained for the last couple of seasons.

Heart of Ontario still maintains the Beaverton trails. We meet up with Carden after crossing RR 48 (old Hwy 48) at the swing bridge. Incidentally, this section of trail may be rerouted to avoid the road running east and north of Beaverton as the ploughs have been scraping down to dirt right out to the ditches.

It would be nice if Carden will actually open the section north of 48 as it has been unsigned and unmaintained for the last couple of seasons.

i see...know last year they never had snow...hopefully it happen this year...there snow now

Another article. This Winter is sure hurting lot's of people. Keep praying for snow!!

http://haliburtonhighlander.ca/PDF/Jan-5-12-13.pdf

Lucky's the only gas left in Kinmount has closed.

noticed on the hcsa site lst nite that the b103 is limited to hali and mindeb time for a friday ride

Nice enjoy your ride blue. Trails are all open on the east side of the park too and a few of tall pines towards Dorset are too.

Snowmobiler OK following accident

By Jenn Watt

Updated 3 hours ago

A 68-year-old man was taken to Haliburton hospital following an accident on his snowmobile.

The snowmobiler hit a tree at Haliburton Forest and Wild Life Reserve Jan. 12 at around 5:30 p.m., police say.

He suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Shocking that this would happen!

The HCSA is working with the Cardin club to re-open trail 2. This will be great! I believe the club is also looking at then moving out of D6 to D7. This will also enable you to get to Orillia from Haliburton.

The HCSA is working with the Cardin club to re-open trail 2. This will be great! I believe the club is also looking at then moving out of D6 to D7. This will also enable you to get to Orillia from Haliburton.

Isn't Carden part of D4???

Isn't Carden part of D4???

I am not sure which dist the Carden club falls under, but I know the HCSA is in dist. 6 now and with re-opening trail 2, through the QE parklands, they want to shift to D7. I don't know how far north D4 stretches? I thought Carden was part of MOST which is D8.

I should clarify..it is the Haliburton club that wants to shift to D7, not Carden. I am not sure why the HCSA wants to shift..would it matter?

This is from a buddy of mine who rode in Haliburton Forest yesterday, I snipped it from an e-mail.

"did not arrive at HF until noon. The parking lot was jammed, some parking trucks and trailers two deep on each side of the lot. Started up the East road, running that all the way to Black lake. Trails near the base camp were really worn thin, but there is a solid base! Corners are very icy all over. We saw no less than 6 spots where the throttle jockeys missed corners and hit trees. Once past Black lake, we took Dutton, Moose, Closed trail (yes that is the name) to the North road and up to Wildcat Lake. All these trails were very good to excellent. Standing off the trail the snow came to my knees. We returned via the Outer loop, Owl trail, Trapline Trail, North Road. The North Road was very well worn down. It was the worst section of all the trails but still better than anywhere else in the area right now. Corners were very icy on the North Road, and you could see the debris and ski marks where a sledder must have rammed full speed into a tree. It looked like an explosion! We went back up the East Road again to go to the Redstone vista, which was stunning! From there back to the lot

All in all, it was a good day. I think we tipped the odometer at 100Km's. Not high mileage but it was also damn cold. Minus 22 today. Lakes are tightening up and they are starting to open lakes in HF.

post-19777-0-00638600-1326731390_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-36995800-1326731393_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-09288900-1326731396_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-98530400-1326731398_thumb.jpg

post-19777-0-54339400-1326731402_thumb.jpg

Archived