2011/ 2012 Haliburton Thread

Fred Quimby

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The young man that went into the drink is fine. He was riding the shoreline near the Beech river :crazy_grn: ..where there is like three feet of ice along shore (width, not depth). He went around a concrete dock and drove right into the lake! The good thing was that where he went in, there was only three feet of water. We were able to haul the sled up and start her up with new plugs. He also had been drinking. LUCKY!

Here is what things look like after the rain and meltdown. While it did rain all day, we only went from about 20" of snow down to 14". Enough lost but it did not ruin the trails.

From the HCSA website:

Trail Conditions

Updated: January 23 , 2012

It's raining today but that is to change late tonight. Hopefully there is minimal trail damage from the rain. The lakes have slushed up, but with cold weather forcasted for Wednesday that should make lots of ice real fast. We need more snow to give the groomers something to work with. . Please stay off the trails so they can firm up. Groomers will be out again Thursday night weather permitting. We will be packing more trails starting on Tuesday. All Top trails have had at least one pass with a groomer. It takes 10 days to open up the HCSA system completely, subject to equipment issues and weather such as today ( rain ) which brings everything to a halt. This winter we will be doing some daytime grooming, so be aware.

Three local gas stations have closed recently, which will be cause for concern to our riders if they get stranded. The closed stations are in Kinmount, Wilberforce and Gooderham. Carrying extra fuel while travelling in these areas may be the only option.

The Esso at Hwy 118 & 35 always has inflated prices too. If the going rate is around $1.11, he charges $1.23 - if the rate elsewhere is higher..say in the $1.19 range, he charges a minimum of $1.29-$1.34 - beware! Buy your fuel in Minden if you can.

The Esso at Hwy 118 & 35 always has inflated prices too. If the going rate is around $1.11, he charges $1.23 - if the rate elsewhere is higher..say in the $1.19 range, he charges a minimum of $1.29-$1.34 - beware! Buy your fuel in Minden if you can.

Thanks for the info, FQ. I stayed at the motel in Carnarvon a few years ago and fueled at that Esso. I will rethink that if possible / practical.

Thanks for the info, FQ. I stayed at the motel in Carnarvon a few years ago and fueled at that Esso. I will rethink that if possible / practical.

The motel is powersports friendly. The owner is a good supporter of the ATV and sled clubs. It is also across the road from a trail, which is handy. I have not stayed there but it seems fine for a place to crash after a day sledding. The Esso, is such a crook. He has been reported to Esso head office and been warned before. I have no idea how he get's away with his gouging.

The motel is powersports friendly. The owner is a good supporter of the ATV and sled clubs. It is also across the road from a trail, which is handy. I have not stayed there but it seems fine for a place to crash after a day sledding. The Esso, is such a crook. He has been reported to Esso head office and been warned before. I have no idea how he get's away with his gouging.

The motel was excellent! The room was a little small but I was alone so it was fine. The have a separate building with complete cooking facilities and rec room for all guests.

I would recommend this place to anyone and will stay there again if I am sledding in the area.

Thanks SJ..good to know! It looks okay from the outside and the location is good.

Sorry to hear that someone went thru on Bosh but good to hear that he's ok. I live on Bosh in Echo Bay and see lots of sled traffic. I keep wondering where they are going as other than Echo Bay I don't think that I'd venture to far on Bosh just yet.

He didn't go thru. He drove off the leading edge of ice right into open water. He had been drinking, so that explains it. At least he is ok and they got the sled out soon afterwords.

Sorry to hear that someone went thru on Bosh but good to hear that he's ok. I live on Bosh in Echo Bay and see lots of sled traffic. I keep wondering where they are going as other than Echo Bay I don't think that I'd venture to far on Bosh just yet.

No sir! The big part of the lake seems to change daily. I see there are huts out by the Clansman. No way I would risk any vehicle, sled or ATV yet.

The HCSA now has MNR approval to open Tr 2. This is the trail that runs through the QE 2 park. I believe they plan to open up to Victoria Bridge! This trail has been closed for many years. What I don't know is if there is enough snow to pack down in the swamps.

Great news! Even if it can't be opened this year

The HCSA now has MNR approval to open Tr 2. This is the trail that runs through the QE 2 park. I believe they plan to open up to Victoria Bridge! This trail has been closed for many years. What I don't know is if there is enough snow to pack down in the swamps.

that is good news...another way to minden...will it continue off 209

that is good news...another way to minden...will it continue off 209

I am not sure, but I presume so. I don't think at this point there are major re-routes planned, just get it up and running again. I know there has been some bridge work done that was wrecked by the jeep off-roaders. I hope that they can get it packed this week, with more snow in the forecast, it could be open.

I am not sure, but I presume so. I don't think at this point there are major re-routes planned, just get it up and running again. I know there has been some bridge work done that was wrecked by the jeep off-roaders. I hope that they can get it packed this week, with more snow in the forecast, it could be open.

Thanks for the update Fred. My brother in law can't wait to ride up there! I will forward your posts to him.

It is good news. It would be great to see it open for this year. I am just afraid that as it has been closed for so long, it will take a ton of work to get it back to where it can be used again. At least it is in the works.

UPDATED MINDEN ACCESS:

In the attached screenshot, there is an outline of the new route into and out of Minden. You have the option of the B112 from Pine Springs over Hwy118 and into Minden. Or in and out of town via HCSA 4. This trail has been closed for a few years. When exiting Minden, it follows through the fairgrounds, and then up to Scotch Line Rd. From there, follow the road across Hwy 35 to the end of Scotch Line Rd, where the road running returns to trails. This is still HCSA 4. This trail takes you to Carnarvon, (Tr 8) and back towards the B103. A nice loop.

If you are coming from Haliburton via the B103 to the B112, as you approach Minden the trail will split. It is well signed. Going straight takes you out and crosses Hwy 35 at Bobcaygeon Rd. There is gas right there and a convenience store. There is also an Italian joint to eat at (I have not tried it yet, it just opened). If at the above mentioned split you veer to the right, this new section of trail takes you out to South Lake Rd. Turn left and this takes you also across Hwy 35 to Newcastle St. Just as you clear the intersection the B112 turns left (in behind day spa) and goes up and over "Mount Minden" as it is called. This is the hill you see in behind the Home Hardware etc. Once over Mount Minden you cross Bobcaygeon Rd. There is parking at the old IGA lot. The B112 goes through here and winds over the floating bridge, runs in behind the funeral home, Mc Mahons feed, and then crosses back over Bobcaygeon Rd again. The B112 runs along the side of Bobcaygeon where HCSA 4 starts. You can either run HCSA 4 or stay on B112 which as mentioned goes to Pine Springs. Trail 4 takes you up to Scotch Line and over.

post-19777-0-77345100-1327675971_thumb.jpg

thinkin about takin wife to pine stone...how are trails in area...would you suggest somewhere else to stay.. fred

The Pine Stone is nice if you are taking your Wife. Friends stayed there during New Years and had one of their chalets. Said it was nice. They got upgraded for free. There is also a pool, and spa, gym on site. The Trails are all decent. The rain did not kill everything, and the club groomed most trails after the rain subsided. We have about five inches of fresh snow today. Just watch corners where ice might lurk under the fresh powder. Pine Stone is good as you can go in any direction from there. Not the cheapest place to stay. If you are looking to score points..that is the way to go.

Stayed up at Wig a Mog last weekend room was nice Lake Side Studio $149 plus taxes. No breakfast available on site until nine and it is only continental breakfast, rode into Haliburton and had breakfast in town.

Stayed up at Wig a Mog last weekend room was nice Lake Side Studio $149 plus taxes. No breakfast available on site until nine and it is only continental breakfast, rode into Haliburton and had breakfast in town.

Good to get that feedback. I was not sure what the Wig was like under the new owners. It is right on Tr7. A cheap but good breakfast in Haliburton is the Cozy right on the main drag. Park across the street and walk up. Good lunches too. nothing fancy.

think pine stone as i was there 5yrs ago,trails to the door & great little loops you couldn't stop riding...as fred said '' score points''...thx for info

I've heard ads on the radio about a radar run on Kashagawigamog this weekend. Is this still happening? From what I've been able to find out it wasn't being done by the club but by the resorts on Kash.

I have heard the ads too, but I don't know if it is still on? There is a lot of slush.

Trail 4 Update:

See screenshot below of Tr 4 exiting/ entering Minden. There is still road running from Scotch Line, across Hwy 35 through the Horseshoe Lake area. About 5 Km in total, until you reach Dennison Rd, where the trail resumes to Carnarvon. The Township is supposed to leave the side of the road somewhat unplowed to allow for sleds at the side of the road.

It is finally easy to get in and out of town!

As for places to eat:

• Dominion Hotel
  • Always the Rockcliffe!
  • Italian Bistro at Bobcaygeon Rd & Hwy 35 (I have not tried yet!)
  • Tim Horton's
  • Shell gas at Hwy 35 and B112
  • Pioneer on Hwy 35 across from OPP
  • Subway on Hwy 35 next to Pioneerew

** New Canadian Tire being built on Hwy 35 @ Water St. - across from Kawartha Dairy **/ open in the Spring.

post-19777-0-60663600-1327764736_thumb.jpg

Archived