2011/ 2012 Haliburton Thread

Fred Quimby

Dairy Queen coming also in the spring. Corner by Shell station.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That will be good for business! Nice to see some changes for the better.

Looks like eagle lake is staked. Anyone know what redstone is like? Hopefully it will be stacked by family day weekend.

Almost another 15 cm's of white gold today. I am sure Redstone has not been staked yet as the club has not drilled test holes yet. However, it has not been really cold at all. Big lakes are still funny.

I would stay off Redstone and Kennisis,with the new snow,you can run the side of the road around them.

Trails good up towards Dorset,Kushog,St.Nora staked,tons of traffic on Raven,but not staked.

Sno-Gauge update...

post-19777-0-62197800-1327874837_thumb.jpg

Most amount of snow Haliburton has seen on the ground at any one time in the last three Winters!

We got easily 10" of new snow Fri-Sat. It was snowing so hard Sat night you couldnt see 10' in front of you. It didnt matter what direction you were going it was driving down straight at you. Unfortunately spent most of the day Sunday digging out but even with the warm spell, I think trails will be great for next weekend.

A lot melted Monday and Tuesday it was +4 here, but no rain. Basically all that fell on the weekend was lost on Monday and Tuesday.

Just got a report that in over 200mikes of riding yesterday from baysville to pembroke it was only the HCSA trails that were "a mine field". This is top B trail were talking about too... Unacceptable.

This is a stigma tge club has had for over a decade. I back them up as much as possible...

Too much politics and not enough focus on the trails or a solid grooming pattern.

Just got a report that in over 200mikes of riding yesterday from baysville to pembroke it was only the HCSA trails that were "a mine field". This is top B trail were talking about too... Unacceptable.

This is a stigma tge club has had for over a decade. I back them up as much as possible...

Too much politics and not enough focus on the trails or a solid grooming pattern.

I have always stood behind the club too! However I am finding it harder every year! A new Pres every year, HUGE politics and the trails suffer. The B112 from Pine Springs to Minden is not open again..I think that make's it either two or three years in a row! The ATV club re-built the bridge that was out last year (the excuse). Now they say not enough snow? I am considering buying from Tall Pines next year. Not that one permit makes much of a difference. IMO they need to increase the grooming schedule. They say they groom three times a week? I call BS on that! They need to groom three times a week.

I have always stood behind the club too! However I am finding it harder every year! A new Pres every year, HUGE politics and the trails suffer. The B112 from Pine Springs to Minden is not open again..I think that make's it either two or three years in a row! The ATV club re-built the bridge that was out last year (the excuse). Now they say not enough snow? I am considering buying from Tall Pines next year. Not that one permit makes much of a difference. IMO they need to increase the grooming schedule. They say they groom three times a week? I call BS on that! They need to groom three times a week.

fred i have seldom seen hcsa trails smooth but i have seen great trails at the same time up there, i am a realist, shitpiles of rock to cover needs snow and time to groom, b103 B and E all busy as can be hard to keep up , i usually just avoid it on the weekend if possible, but agian last saturday it was pretty much tabletop from fenlon to hali

In general, compared to neighboring clubs, tgey groom many of their trails far too infrequently, or early enough, but more importantly they dont seem to groom when it is most appropriate.

Im am with tall pines, they have groomed every day but tues/wednesday this week due to the warmup. They got out on all major trails immediately before and after the warm up, as did all the other clubs trails my friends rode.

This is the TOP B Trail, major provincial artery and immperitive to tge RAP tour.

fred i have seldom seen hcsa trails smooth but i have seen great trails at the same time up there, i am a realist, shitpiles of rock to cover needs snow and time to groom, b103 B and E all busy as can be hard to keep up , i usually just avoid it on the weekend if possible, but agian last saturday it was pretty much tabletop from fenlon to hali

I know it's a tough trail system. I grew up here. I do give the club credit, don't get me wrong. However, as busy as this area is the club HAS to groom TOP trails more than two to three times per week! If they are going to have TOP status on a lot of their trails, they have to meet that expectation. They have five large groomers, a couple older BR180's a fleet of Skandics with drags, a couple tracked equipped ATV's...there is no shortage of new equipment. The B112 has been a bust for three Winters. It has not seen one open day, and it is a TOP trail now!

Four years and four new Presidents. A collection of directors that do ziltch, a volunteer coordinator that does the square root of zip, a few of very dedicated and tired volunteers. The biggest goal was the new trail through Minden and the floating bridge! The rest of the system leaves a lot to be desired. Before anybody jumps on me for bitching and doing nothing...stand by! I have called, e-mailed and posted my offer to help the club for four years now. The only response I got was, we are working on improving our communication with volunteers! That is a load of BS. There is way too much internal politicking going on and it will be the demise of the club if it is not curbed.

Tall Pines, Paudash all have very similar terrain and they usually have better trails than HCSA. I have not written the club off yet..but it is getting close.

Last year I called the ATV club to offer help, I got a call and e-mail within days, and was out volunteering a week later. I became a trail warden and felt very appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

So finally the B112 from Pine Springs to Minden is open, albeit "limited". Sled traffic is HUGE in this area right now. It seems as though everybody and there uncle are riding in this area! There was a string of no less then twelve SUV's and trucks coming up Hwy 35 this past Friday and that was only around noon. Many were four and six sled haulers too!

It seems as though there is more grooming going on too. Perhaps the message is getting through. The trails need more snow though, and although grooming has increased, the fresh snow is next to minimal over the last two weeks. Maybe two inches at best. Another six inches would sure go a long way coming into the long weekend when traffic on the trails will explode.

Most club trails are okay, despite huge rider pressure. I think the worst trail around is tr16 which runs up to Tall Pines 64. Even the Tall Pines 64 was pretty beat this weekend too. The section of 64 that follows Sherbourne Lake Rd was okay, as it should be. It is a road in the Summer. Lakes are being staked (HCSA 10 & 11) finally. The last few nights have been very cold and remained cold during the day, which has been an anomaly this Winter. This has helped build some ice.

Hopefully I am one of those trucks heading up the 35 in a couple weeks!

Let me know if you are heading up mossy. I will be up the next few weekends. I will be mostly lake riding to stay away from the traffic.

What's the latest on trails in the Bancroft area ?

Did some riding this weekend and the trails were good. The Old Hasting club level trails were fantastic. Hit the 900 series trails you should not be disappointed.

We rode sections of the B-hydro line, the new trail 10 over to the E on Sunday,Some logging on the E,thin in parts

Trails in great shape though, and not much traffic.

Haliburton lake staked today.Lakes have enough snow for lube

Cold--17 this am.

Looking ahead, a new dump of snow would be welcome,ready for the long weekend.

Did some riding this weekend and the trails were good. The Old Hasting club level trails were fantastic. Hit the 900 series trails you should not be disappointed.

Thanks Reved - I'm hoping they hold up through this gawdawfull weather forecast Thurs/Fri.

Let me know if you are heading up mossy. I will be up the next few weekends. I will be mostly lake riding to stay away from the traffic.

I will let you know for sure. Thanks!

CAUTION ON BOSHKUNG LAKE!!!

Please see map attachment!

post-19777-0-86613900-1329534556_thumb.jpg

If you are travelling on Boshkung, BEWARE! The ice is very unpredictable on this lake this year. The area around where the Beech river flows into Boshkung is less than two inches thick, and that is where there is ice. Where the current is strong, there is NEVER ice! Tonight I actually watched four sleds come across the open water and one panicked at the last minute and sunk his sled in about four feet of water. He was lucky that is is shallow in this area. This is two in two weeks to go down here!

On the attached map I have drawn a yellow triangle. STAY OUT OF THIS AREA. There is open water and it stays open right to shore! There is a heavy current here and it never freezes anyways, but the open area of water is much larger this year due to the freeze thaw cycles!

There is also marked in red, a line denoting a large pressure crack on the ice. It is about 30cm's in some areas!

I have drawn a line in grey that denotes the safest way across Boshkung from North-West down the lake and if you intend on going to Kushog, a trans-section in that direction as well.

Thanks for the info, Fred!

I rode from the hailburton village up to the hailburton forest and wildlife for their annual poker run. Went up the b103 to the b. B103 from head lake has dirty corners and the base is super thin getting out of town. Road connections from sir Sams to eagle lake are pretty

Much bare after the hot sun today. The forest

trails were great. They have so much snow I

could have used snow shoes to get off my sled.

Another few days of warm sun and not much

new snow, the trails could be toast after this

weekend. Past two grommers on the way home,

not much snow to work with. Ran into the

supertrax crew heading to redstone lake. Then we

passed two groomers. I got to meet Lester the

camera guy. 275km of great trails. Not sure where to head Tommorrow. Lakes are all nice and fast with lube on them. Kennis has slush in spots, nothing major though. Forest will hold for a few more weeks. Hailburton could get down graded to limited soon, if the hit sun keeps up.

Archived