2011/ 2012 Haliburton Thread

Fred Quimby

Here is what is happening in Haliburton tonight. It has been snowing since about 11 A.M. here. It started quite fine almost rain. As the afternoon moved into evening it has thickened up quite a bit. Since the temp is hovering around the freezing mark, the moisture content is quite a lot and it is making for some good heavy snow!

As of 10 P.M. there is between five and six inches down and it is still coming down now.

When the snow hits the top of the #1, there will be a full 12" of snow.

Sorry about the blurry shot. Auto-focus does not like the snow! Next time I will use full manual settings.

DSC_0024.jpg

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any likelihood grooming might start if you reach the 12 inch mark?

I'm on holidays until Jan 9. I'm in London and I'm currently trying to get someone to split costs with me on a trip up to Cochrane, Kapuskasing or Hearst.

You are much closer. I know many places are incredibly wet and it may be quite some time before anything opens. Almost all farms down here, so it may not be as long for us.

So far we only have about 2 or 3 inches today. Last year just 10 minutes away from my house we had nearly 6 feet. (snowmeggadon as it was known)

I'm on holidays until Jan 9. I'm in London and I'm currently trying to get someone to split costs with me on a trip up to Cochrane, Kapuskasing or Hearst.

You are much closer. I know many places are incredibly wet and it may be quite some time before anything opens. Almost all farms down here, so it may not be as long for us.

So far we only have about 2 or 3 inches today. Last year just 10 minutes away from my house we had nearly 6 feet. (snowmeggadon as it was known)

The good ole days. :D On the bright side we still have two full months for good things to come our way :icon_snow:

I left hailburton at noon today and it was raining. Barely any snow there and defiantly no ice yet, not even close. Now the lakes will take a month to freeze. Hit heavy snow at the west side of Kitchener at 4:pm. We received a good six inches here in northern part of d5. We are suppose to get more in the next few days. Clubs will be out packing the base soon trying to build one. Might be able to open after new years if weather co-operates, since we are high and dry.

Haliburton Forest is likely to be up and running within a few days. http://www.haliburtonforest.com/ Their trails run independent of water crossings and lakes. They run on logging trails and roadbed that is closed to cars etc in the Winter. Our local club policy dictates that there is a full foot of snow before they start grooming. As of this morning there is maybe a solid eight inches down.

Good and cold overnight. -12.

Haliburton Forest is likely to be up and running within a few days. http://www.haliburtonforest.com/ Their trails run independent of water crossings and lakes. They run on logging trails and roadbed that is closed to cars etc in the Winter. Our local club policy dictates that there is a full foot of snow before they start grooming. As of this morning there is maybe a solid eight inches down.

Good and cold overnight. -12.

Well, it says open.

Well, it says open.

Just beware. As of last night they were closed. Their main trails are roads. They seldom actually list their trail quality. I have been there in past Decembers and had great trails and been there when they are snirt!They got a little over 8" so by the time that is packed and then groomed...you get the picture. If you are just dying to ride I am sure HF will quench your thirst. Just don't expect miracle trails. There is not a lot of frost in the ground and there is a ton of surface water that is barely frozen at all.

I am by no means slagging their operation. I love sledding there too! I would hate for somebody to spend a lot of money on gas to get there, pay an additional fee to ride there and be bummed because the trails are not "tabletop".

They only admit 100 sleds a day so if you go, book ahead!

Thanks Quimby.

Hey Couch where in the banana belt are you. I'm in London, and belong to Science Hill Drifters. We have new trail going from ilderton to Thamesford this year. Combo project with them.

Thanks also Viper. Our geography sometimes is a blessing. I was told that Strathroy is supposed to be ready to go with 4 inches of snow. They do a great job on their trails. Especially considering what they sometimes have to work with.

hf had trails listed as open for dog sledding, pretty sure there just got enough to pack it down for sleds, i would say fri sat as a guess

I was at the forest two days ago and there was only an inch of snow on the ground. It will

Take another three weeks for them to have a great system. I find there fee is only worth it when everything including the lakes are frozen. Then you have alot more options within the forest.

Minus 23 here this morning folks! :wavey:

Let us know how the next three days go. Suppose to pour rain on Sunday all the way up to northbay.

Forecast has changed three times for Sunday. Now it is not supposed to be as warm as originally forecasted. +2 and <1 mm rain, 2-4 cms of snow. It all depends on the temp peak. More wet heavy,Snow is fine by me. Good for packing.

Rode yesterday. Not enough snow to call conditions good, but it was great as a shake down ride for my new sled. We did about 80 miles. If you have to get out its there for the taking but if you can wait i would suggest they require another 8" to 10" before there is real sledding to be done in the area. On that note it was snowing rather heavily at 8pm when we left.

Just realized this is a Haliburton thread... I am refering to Haliburton Forest.

It all works! Glad you got out!

Snowmobiles and ATVs to get convenient access to Minden’s downtown

By Stephen Patrick

During the 1980s and 1990s, snowmobilers who flocked toHaliburtonCountysawMindenVillageas a major destination for eating, shopping or just taking a break from the trails. Access from the Rail Trail, the Gelert Trail and from the northwest was convenient and efficient.

2673-2-350x232.jpg

Come on back sledders, says Minden. Photo courtesy of GhostRiders in Fernie BC.

But over the years, some local trails fell into disrepair, access through the village was limited, getting across theGullRiverwas, to say the least, difficult and dangerous.

This week Minden Hills Reeve Barb Reid revealed a major initiative to welcome sledders – and ATVers in the summer – back to the village proper.

“The genesis of this goes back to the previous term of council, in 2009, when we bought the snowmobile bridge as part of the economic stimulus package, along with the Riverwalk project. The bridge was fine, but it began to be known as ‘the bridge to nowhere’ because access to the downtown itself had become so limited,” Reid told The Highlander.

“Some Haliburton County Snowmobile Association representatives came to council and said, you know, you really have to do something to get snowmobilers back toMinden, which used to be a huge hub for the sport all during the winter. And in fact they told us that some of theMindenaccess trails had become so bad that the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Associations downgraded the trails to ‘Club’ trails, which were known popularly as ‘Crap’ trails.”

Last February, Reeve Reid, Councilor Jean Neville and Recreation Director Rick Cox got together with representatives from the HCSA and the Haliburton County ATV Association to see what they could do to put snowmobiling back on the map forMinden, and at the same time to help market ATVing in the area.

“These reps were very helpful in getting Jean and I and Rick up to speed on what the problems were. They identified serious bridge problems near Pine Springs, another problem out by the Gelert Trail, which was very difficult to groom, and therefore didn’t get groomed. They also pointed out how difficult it had become to get to and throughMindenVillageitself, from one end to the other. So we worked on the problem all summer long, committed some funding, and now we’re delighted to announce the changes that we think will make a huge difference.”

For starters, the HCSA will have two groomers stationed inMinden, instead of just one. The Minden Hills roads department has been helping with brushing and trail preparation, and, with the help of the two associations, the municipality has managed to develop a whole new trail through Minden itself, in two segments, and has also reopened a little trail formerly known as the Slaughterhouse Trail which will take snowmobilers down from the Rail Trail through the Gelert Trail to South Lake Road near Highway 35. And that’s where the new trails get really exciting.

“Once you cross 35 fromSouth Lake Road, on the left just past the Spa, there’s an old trail head,” said Reid. “We’ve managed to obtain permission from 13 property owners of vacant land to allow access overMountMindenand down the other side toBobcaygeon Road. The trail will come out just about where the Sunny Variety used to be. And there, Dollo’s IGA has given permission for their old vacant IGA site to be used as a snowmobile or ATV parking area, which people can use while they eat in our restaurants and shop in our stores.

“From there, the second segment goes through a vacant lot to Anson Street, takes a sharp right, then a left across the Gull River using the snowmobile bridge, and then, instead of having to go all the way down Orde Street and then back Deep Bay Road, the owner of the River Cone has given permission to use her property as a shortcut. The trail then goes behind McMahon’s Feed, up toMcKay Street, then acrossBobcaygeon Road, around the Cultural Centre and the Community Centre, and then finally joins up with the OFSA trail system once again.”

The initiative also includes the creation of five substantial, timber-framed signs with a large, clear map ofMindenVillagethat will clearly show the new trail system. The map will be surrounded by 16 advertising panels for local business. These signs will be at various strategic points on the OFSA trail system, including the Rail Trail and theBobcaygeon Road.

“This initiative will cost a total of $85,000,” said Reid. “Minden Hills, the HCSA, and the HATVA each put up $25,000, and the Haliburton County Development Corporation added another $10,000. And we believe this is money well spent, and we’re very happy with the cooperation and assistance of the two associations, and theHCDC.”

The signs, and the trails, should be ready shortly. And then? Just pray for snow.

Let us know how the next three days go. Suppose to pour rain on Sunday all the way up to northbay.

It's changed! Rain changing to snow for sunday here!

Fred this is great news ! Minden will see the benifit of this quickly , the loop down from Pine Springs always was a fun trail.

I sure hope so. Minden had in recent years been such a nightmare! Kudos to council for stepping up to get involved. I have not even been south of 118 for two years. It was totally closed off last year and the year before it was such a mess. It is almost rare to see sleds in town now.

Back in the 80's the HCSA worked with haliburton county and the county and the townships purchased 6 br100 groomers for the HCSA this was thier first reliable industrial grooming equipment. Under the command of Tom Prentice the grooming operations were second to none and as a result so were the trails. This led to a snowmobile boom that was just unbelievable and went on until 1989 when the exec of the day decided to dispose of Tom and "his" guys the hcsa trails fell apart huge and disgustingly then. That exec has moved on and it looks like this exec continues to put things back together and I wish them luck as my first introduction to groomed trails and volunteering with a club was there.

think it was 2007..stayed at pine stone...trails at that time were amazing around there..

Archived