2011/ 2012 Haliburton Thread

Fred Quimby

I thought Carden was part of MOST which is D8.

I think you are correct! I was mistaken.

I should clarify..it is the Haliburton club that wants to shift to D7, not Carden. I am not sure why the HCSA wants to shift..would it matter?

No, I don't think so. But I would think that a club would have difficulty trying to open trails in a different club's area or district. I don't know how the district boundaries get set, or whether a club can make that decision (or request).

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is from a buddy of mine who rode in Haliburton Forest yesterday, I snipped it from an e-mail.

Sounds (and looks) like they received some more snow from the previous weekend, but it will take more to get rid of the icy corners.

Thanks for the update.

I think you are correct! I was mistaken.

No, I don't think so. But I would think that a club would have difficulty trying to open trails in a different club's area or district. I don't know how the district boundaries get set, or whether a club can make that decision (or request).

It would be great to see that trail 2 open again! You could ride right to Rama!

Yeah great to see trail 2 again. I could park at rama and ride to hailburton for the weekend.

I was thinking the same thing except in reverse. As I live here, I was thinking to ride to Rama for an overnighter..maybe see a show and dinner, head home the next day.

UPDATED TRAILS>>>>>>>>

TOP E to Paudash now limited

TRAIL 7 From B103 now limited**Kashagawigamog is not staked though!

B103 to TOPB limited

I would think that with more snow coming tomorrow..even more will open through the week.

UPDATED TRAILS>>>>>>>>

TOP E to Paudash now [blimited[

TRAIL 7 From B103 now limited**Kashagawigamog is not staked though!

B103 to TOPB limited

I would think that with more snow coming

tomorrow..even more will open through the week.

Prey hard tonight. Temperature is rising here, currently 3 c in Kitchener. Saying 5 to 8 with rain here. Hopefully you stay cold enough up there.

Still at -3. Forecast is for -1..snow and ice pellets and then snow again. Can't worry about it.

How much is on the snow gauge?

How much is on the snow gauge?

I will take a pic and post later but there is a tad over a foot right now. Up at HF there was a good 18" once you step off the trail. Long range is weird. They say very warm next Monday??? I really don't out too much stock in a forecast that far out. What a rollercoaster of a Winter.

It is crazy for sure. Looks like lots of high pressure and warmer then seasonal temps in the long range. That is crazy. As long as middle of feb is good. I can get 1k, km, I will be happy.

Here's the sno-gauge.

post-19777-0-47169200-1326769393_thumb.jpg

Interesting HCSA wants to switch. They will have to step it up against the D7 clubs if true IMO. Good friendly competition among many of the clubs in MSR and the 2 that are out...

Your buddy was wrong about 1 thing; that the HFWR trails are better than anything in the area. This photo was taken on saturday less than 20 miles as the crow flies from base camp, trail 64 9/10. Should be more of the trails in mSR and north haliburton opening up this week too.

2882b136.jpg

2882b136.jpg

Good looking trail! Doesn't look like too many had been on it since the groomer passed.

I am not sure on why the HCSA wants to switch districts either??? Maybe they feel they are more central Ontario than East?

They are calling for a mix today..but also 10-15cm's this afternoon. It is next week I am worried about Sunday- Tuesday looks awful.

IMO I don't know how the club get's anything done. A new president every year, directors that apparently do nothing? Yet they have a huge volume of permit sales, a groomer and equipment fleet that would make your head spin. They are my 'home" club and I have always stuck up for them, but it is getting hard as they appear very disorganized.

Did the snow arrive??

What a day. Light snow this morning..and for most of the day barely an inch fell by three P.M. A lot of hype and no results. They called for 8-15 cm's...HA! Snow switched to sleet, to rain briefly, to snow flakes the size of golfballs, and then more sleet. It is -5 now and snowing. The news says big snow overnight. Well see.

Man that sucks. Now it will be harder to get through the warm spell next week. Winds are picking up here, so maybe some lake effect will materlize.

Good looking trail! Doesn't look like too many had been on it since the groomer passed.

I am not sure on why the HCSA wants to switch districts either??? Maybe they feel they are more central Ontario than East?

They are calling for a mix today..but also 10-15cm's this afternoon. It is next week I am worried about Sunday- Tuesday looks awful.

IMO I don't know how the club get's anything done. A new president every year, directors that apparently do nothing? Yet they have a huge volume of permit sales, a groomer and equipment fleet that would make your head spin. They are my 'home" club and I have always stuck up for them, but it is getting hard as they appear very disorganized.

Being in D6 doesnt make a lot of sense geopraphically but im sure they like the permit revenue... 2 or 7 could make sense

Politics plays a huge role. I think the recent turnover in presidents is circumstantial, & they probably need 2 major leaders if not more. 1 to handle the politics and another who knows the trails and grooming inside out.

Apparently the current pres is owner of sandy lane, yet no machine over there, and the trails around that area havent been touched. Im not sure his experience with trail building, and that is something they need a lot of.

They received a pile of money for the RAP tour and did not allocate those funds appropriately. Hence why all other clubs have their RAP priority trails now open.

Some great recent developments in minden though, which really is fantastic. Imo the club needs to be split up into regions, so individual trails can be focused on. A guy who knows the peterson rd inside out cant be expected to know Y16, and likely doesnt...

• Any update on the amount of snow that Haliburton received looking at trailering up to Haliburton for the weekend and staying at Pinestone. Any thoughts from those folks up there?

I believe hailburton missed that last big snowfall that musoka received. Alot of the trails still aren't open. Have to wait for an update from fred. The area isn't looking good for this weekend.

I believe hailburton missed that last big snowfall that musoka received. Alot of the trails still aren't open. Have to wait for an update from fred. The area isn't looking good for this weekend.

Guess again. They got the B and E trails opened up now and Y16. GTG for the weekend

The snow came a day late, but it came. There is now almost 20" down. The TOP B is "OPEN" to Whitney from HCSA 10 onward. Nice to see GREEN on the trail status page.

Top B to Tall Pines Trails

LIMITED

B103

Haliburton to Top B

LIMITED

Lake is not staked

B103

Haliburton to Kinmount (Rail Line)

LIMITED

TOP B

Pine Springs to Trail 15

LIMITED

Lake is not staked

TOP B

Trail 15 to Trail 4

LIMITED

TOP B

Trail 4 to Eagle Lake

LIMITED

Lake is not staked

TOP B

Eagle Lake to Trail 10

LIMITED

TOP B

Trail 10 to Whitney

OPEN

TOP E

Top B to Paudash

LIMITED

Trail 7 is still limited, and the B112 from Minden to Gelert is limited. Still the the B112 from Pine Springs to Minden is closed and no groomer has been through??? I just drove past the junction of B112 and HWY 118 and there is no signs of any grooming on that trail. They gotta be working on it tonight? The stuff that fell, is good for grooming.

post-19777-0-54768000-1327098299_thumb.jpg

Incidentally, while South-West Ontario enjoyed a banner Winter last year, Haliburton saw about the same amount of snow as in the pic above. There was never more than 20-24 inches of snow at any one time all Winter. I am optimistic we will see a better Winter than last year!

How are the lakes looking with all of that snow on top. Can't make it up until middle of feb. Better be great by then, lol.

They are still sketchy IMO. There are lot's who are on them, but many need more cold. At least the nights have chilled down. None staked yet. Getting close. You have to watch where there are strong currents!! Boshkung for instance is fed by the Beech River, Buttermilk Falls and Buckslides...and that makes for some weird currents in the lake, causing strange freeze up patterns. I believe Redstone, Kenisis are coming in nicely.

Sledder went into the drink on Boshkung tonight. BEWARE!!

Archived