Elliot Lake to Chapleau? Details please!

Turbo Burgo

Hi everyone, I'm trying to plan a trip in mid February. Looking at starting at my buddies place in Elliot Lake and riding the F trail up to Chapleau for the night. REVRND's Ontario Trail Mileage Database shows that it is roughly 292km from Elliot Lake to Chapleau. Can anyone chime in and give some details on this tour?

What I'm looking to know is...

• Is it do-able in one day to go from Elliot Lake to Chapleau (we are fairly aggressive trail riders but do enjoy our breaks)

• What are the trails like? Long and fast, logging roads,tight twisities, etc?

• Is there gas on the trail? And where?

• Is there lunch on the trail and where do you recommend?

• Whats the experience like? Is it considered a good tour?

• What hotel/motel/resort would you recommend staying at in Chapleau? Must have restaurant on site.

• Any cool sight seeing spots or must see/do things in the areas?

I looked at the Google Map of the F trail and it looks very remote. I'd appreciate everyone's feedback and recommendations. I plan on staying the week at my buddies place (non sledder) but want to do an overnighter for one of the nights.

Thanks everyone!

Squid

Very doable in one day. The trail is faster on the south end and more windey once you get out to hwy 129. I like the Valentine farms for lodging in Chapleau. They don't have a restaurant but are very accomodating and Ross will cook you breakfast.

Aubrey falls is supposed to be open for gas but call ahead.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to plan a trip in mid February. Looking at starting at my buddies place in Elliot Lake and riding the F trail up to Chapleau for the night. REVRND's Ontario Trail Mileage Database shows that it is roughly 292km from Elliot Lake to Chapleau. Can anyone chime in and give some details on this tour?

What I'm looking to know is...

• Is it do-able in one day to go from Elliot Lake to Chapleau (we are fairly aggressive trail riders but do enjoy our breaks)

• What are the trails like? Long and fast, logging roads,tight twisities, etc?

• Is there gas on the trail? And where?

• Is there lunch on the trail and where do you recommend?

• Whats the experience like? Is it considered a good tour?

• What hotel/motel/resort would you recommend staying at in Chapleau? Must have restaurant on site.

• Any cool sight seeing spots or must see/do things in the areas?

I looked at the Google Map of the F trail and it looks very remote. I'd appreciate everyone's feedback and recommendations. I plan on staying the week at my buddies place (non sledder) but want to do an overnighter for one of the nights.

Thanks everyone!

Squid

I haven't done this in a few years but we ran from Spanish to Chapleau in the same day. I do recall it being remote, from what I remember there is portions of logging road on the way towards Aubrey Falls (gas and C-store) and then north of that was tighter. i do specifically remember the tighter (but straight, almost like a tunnel) pines near Flame Lake Lodge. On our trip, we ate at Laurentian Lodge for lunch then again once we hit Chapleau. Since LL no longer opens in the winter, I "think" Flame Lake Lodge is your stop for fuel and food. it also comes highly recommended from others on this forum.

As for Chapleau, I have stayed at Aux Trois Moulins a number of times. However, Valentine Farms B&B is also very highly recommended.

F east of Chapleau is tighter, more twisty. F North towards D-Ville is a more open, logging road type trails but very remote either way. Nothing between Chapleau and Missinabi heading north.

Just follow the interactive map to be sure that the F Trail is open. All the advise you need has already been given.

after leaving elliot lake, do not pass up gas at aubrey falls or flame lake. never pass up gas on this trail. it can be very tight and twisty, and there are some very large hills north of aubrey falls, and south of flame lake.

north of flame lake towards chapleau, the trail gets wider, and faster. trail mileage from aubrey to flame is about 50 miles, flame to chap is about 60. aubrey falls will have gas but no food. flame lake lodge will have food, gas, and lodging (call ahead before stopping in to eat). it is a great place to stop, eat, and stay. valentine farms as stated above is a great choice in chapleau, and they have indoor storage for the sleds.

This trail does not open every year, never assume it is open. make sure to plan and check with all the stops along the way, well before, and just before going to make sure the trail is open, brushed, groomed and signed. if not, you are in for a long trip.

it sounds like you want an up and back trip from elliot lake on the same trail, we have done this from the soo or searchmont for the weekend, the trail has some great views in areas, and seeing it both ways is a great way to learn this region. i for one am hoping this trail opens, as the wife and i REALLY like the trail, and the people and stops along the way. ski

Wow, thanks everyone for the replies. This should be everything I need to know (hopefully LOL). I will definitely call ahead to ensure there is gas, food and accommodations available.

Sounds like an awesome ride. This will be our first saddle bag trip. Usually we only ride local and always come back to our starting point at the end of the day.

Hopefully the F trail opens up from end to end this year! Otherwise we will probably ride west to Searchmont for the night.

Very doable in one day. The trail is faster on the south end and more windey once you get out to hwy 129. I like the Valentine farms for lodging in Chapleau. They don't have a restaurant but are very accomodating and Ross will cook you breakfast.

X2

TOP F from the Hwy' 546 road crossing (north of Elliot Lake) is on a forest access road to Hwy' 129. I seem to recall also that the closer (Hwy' 667 & north) you get to Chapleau the terrain gets flatter.

• 1 year later...

Looking at doing the run from Elliot lake to Chapleau over the February Long Weekend. Anybody have the inside scoop on if it will be open by then? I know theres lots of snow that way. My buddy in Elliot Lake claims he has 8 ft snow banks!!!

8 ft snow banks. Keeping an eye on this one.

Sure would like to know when the Chapleau trails will open.

check out the groomer guy blog for today, has some good updates for the chapleau club

Great info, Just Ride.

From Groomer Guy's blog, shamelessly copied:

Feb 5/13 - The Chapleau Groomer made it to Dalton yesterday (Where Dubreuilville and Chapleau Club Meet) They parked the Groomer for the Night and took a well deserved rest. , They are back at it today and are currently grooming back to Chapleau, they are expected to be back late tonight. On Wednesday a trail crew on snowmobiles will go out and check out the trail signs and replace any missing signs and if all goes well its should be posted as Available or Limited for the riders the next day. The Chapleau Club (If Plan's have not changed) are to start on the F trail South once they are done with the F trail North, This year the south section of the F trail is seeing alot of snow, if you check the Ontario snow depth amounts the Searchmont and and Aubrey Falls area are seing big snow amounts. its has been snowing almost every day for the past week in that area.

Thanks, LUC!

http://groomerguy.blogspot.ca

The Elliot Lake area over to the Soo is good on snow. Rode to Massey this past weekend and it is less down near Spanish and along the big lake as usual, but still good to go.

Here is a picture of the bank next to the road as the F trail opens out to the road a few miles east of Black Creek Outfitters. This was last Sunday and there is more snow in that area than i remember 4 years ago when the F trail was last opened to Chapleau. The Trailblazer's groomed about 15 miles north on the F trail a week back for the new trail loop now open to Aubrey Falls and Black Creek. Lots of DEEPIMG_1284_zpsd29adf9a.jpg snow around that area!IMG_1337_zps9739ddf4.jpg

We only got a Foot 1/2 on the North end of the F we need more, but we might try and pack it this weekend and see what we get out of it, it wont be the best but atlest it will be open (limited) I might have to drive there as I need to bring oil and stufffor the groomer.... by Car it take close to 3 hours to drive, then 3 more back.... and thats in a bad area for Moose.... and that if the roads are clear and nice. chapleau is heading to flame lake lodge today on the F trail south.

by Car it take close to 3 hours to drive, then 3 more back....

But that is for mere mortals. I am sure it is MUCH less for you :lol:

Thanks GG for all you do!

We only got a Foot 1/2 on the North end of the F we need more, but we might try and pack it this weekend and see what we get out of it, it wont be the best but atlest it will be open (limited) I might have to drive there as I need to bring oil and stufffor the groomer.... by Car it take close to 3 hours to drive, then 3 more back.... and thats in a bad area for Moose.... and that if the roads are clear and nice. chapleau is heading to flame lake lodge today on the F trail south.

Thanks for the update Luc.

I will be up to see you by trail if they get the F cleared to Chapleau. We tried to do the shortcut to Chapleau, but the logging has torn up all the routes that I know.

Hope to see you soon.

Scott

I'm heading to Missanabie tonight or early in the morning to do the F trail to dalton, the Chapleau club is Doing the F trail south right now, heading to Aubrey falls, they Done up to Dalton now. One of our groomers is broken...... will be off the trail for about 2 weeks or more, well not running I should say as its still on the trail near the warm up shack on the D trail to Wawa.

Both of Elliot Lakes groomers went up to Aubrey on Wednesday and came back on Thursday.

I'm new to the website/forum. Group of us have a trip planned in two weeks to do a loop starting at Elliot Lake, Shining Tree, Kapuskasing, Chapleau, and back to EL. Looking on the ofsc.mapbase website looks like our last day and a half is "unavailable" right now. Any news on Trail F north and south of Chapleau being open and what are the trail conditions out there. Like you we're not getting the snowfall or what we get the rain takes out.. Thanks!

you will be ok, all our sections is groomed, packed, just need to finish a few things to post them as open. we had a groomer break down and we are limited on help here as all of club members have jobs (Not retierd) and have limited time to head out on the trails.

Thanks for the update Luc, glad to hear you guys got a replacement groomer, mighty nice of the Soo. Thanks for all the long hours you guys put in.

Archived