Hey Faceman ! (and other informed sledders)

SlowTouringGuy

I carry the scotch with me. And, depending on the quality of the ovine population, may not be coming back. ;-)

You're such a tease... :icon_tinykitball:

Trust me the Tub is a great place, but in the winter not so much...You better take lots of scotch (might need a trailer lol :tongue: )

Fuel can be a problem too. There is no fuel in the tub. I have been as far as wiarton. Would love to go to the tub and back as well. Where would the last fuel stop be face man and how many miles from there to the tub and back??

I carry the scotch with me.

Fuel, in other words. :o

You'll be fine, STG. Lots of info. on this forum and, reading between the lines, you'll plan another epic adventure.

Fuel can be a problem too. There is no fuel in the tub. I have been as far as wiarton. Would love to go to the tub and back as well. Where would the last fuel stop be face man and how many miles from there to the tub and back??

There is fuel in the Tub, Hoppy's is on hwy 6 just at the south end. There is fuel in Miller Lake as well as Ferndale. I will try and confirm all these locations prior to trail opening. Either Miller Lake or Ferndale should allow both ways even if Hoppys is not open.

There is fuel in the Tub, Hoppy's is on hwy 6 just at the south end. There is fuel in Miller Lake as well as Ferndale. I will try and confirm all these locations prior to trail opening. Either Miller Lake or Ferndale should allow both ways even if Hoppys is not open.

yup, there is no lack of fuel as shown here, the hours of operation r the kicker though. Call before u go. Really, with the closing of the Colonel's, there is no major distractions that take hours and hours of ur time......so u should b able to get gas before everything closes 4 the evening.

yup, there is no lack of fuel as shown here, the hours of operation r the kicker though. Call before u go. Really, with the closing of the Colonel's, there is no major distractions that take hours and hours of ur time......so u should b able to get gas before everything closes 4 the evening.

I didn't consider 'The Colonel's" to be a distraction..

As far as gas and such, i hope I will be posting full contact info for the rocky outcrop north of Wiarton on the GBST ( Grey Bruce Snowmobile Trails) website this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Strange. Given the number of times I remember visiting the Colonel's I rarely remember leaving. :oops:

Okay..... So, here's another impossible to answer question.

When do you typically start grooming the Bruce up to Tobermory? I know, I know; same non-answer answer I would give someone about our area. BUT, I'm not going to hold you to it.

Would you have good trails by January 20? January 27 ? In a 'typical' year. According to local "marketing hoo-haw" the trails are pristine & magnificent in time for Ride the Willie (giggle) Weekend - how are the trails one or two weeks in advance of that ? All the way up the peninsula.

Like you say STG thats a tough call. Seen times when Keppals open yet Sauble's closed, also times when lots of snow south of Lions Head yet none north or little northward towards the Tub. All lake effect snow so you know how that goes with the ridiculus thaws and all. We go up on the family weekend in Feb and its been good to us( not the Tub but Hepworth area last year). Not sure if Tub was open then. Gotta be flexable destination wise this far ahead of the game I think. Be a good thing to be able to back track on the interactive to see what was open and closed at certain times in prior years wouldn't it. I know I'm not much help with my reply but I'm interested in that area too, great times and trails when they're open. :right_on:

CR500 pretty much summed it up. There is not a consistant snowfall further up the Bruce. I everyones perfect world we get really cold weather for two weeks prior to any significent snowfall. Last year the Ride the Willie was a disaster due to white out conditions...yet 30 miles north, nothing.

I guess I shouldn't call the Colonels a distraction, it did detract from miles on the sled though.....many many miles.

There has to b 30cm min before they can groom the park section, and u know, that isn't unrealistic considering the terain being covered in this area. Sounds like they may get up 2 10cm 2nite...looks like the weather is turning a bit now. With that lake as warm as it is it could produce lotsa snow this year, unfortunately warm lake means warm ground and that doesn't help the b108 1 bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Randy there is gas available in Tobermory 7 days a week at Hoppys One Stop,also at Carlas on Hwy # 6 just south of Cyprus Lake rd approx 1/2 km of road running down the road from our intersection # 4 and at Drift In store at Miller Lake on the trail but they are closed most Sundays.

• 1 month later...

How are things shaping up for a ride on the 27th ?

As of right now its looking pretty good......... should have the grass cut and the firepit ready to go..... :Drinking2:

Interesting link on the BruceGreySimcoe website to 'snowmobiling.

What caught my eye is this picture representing the Clubhouses.

Are there really that many? Heck, you could spend a week going from Clubhouse to Clubhouse, if that's the case.

http://brucegreysimc...yioBA#!external[iframes]/74/

(Edit: it's one of those talking websites on page one, and you have to click on the snowmobiling link to see the map halfway down)

I think there is a whopping 3" around Mt. Forest last saturday, but the kids were having fun on their 120's.

Nice day for a campfire and a few brown pops though.

We were going to try icefishing, but couldn't get out on the ice.

How are things shaping up for a ride on the 27th ?

February 27?

Hey mossy. Ocer ride in the Bruce feb 27. We could meet in auburn satuday morning ride to Owen sound and then back on Sunday. I would be ready to start Friday. This would be cool

That would be an awesome ride! Don't know if \i can do that weekend but I will let you know!

Archived