Hey Faceman ! (and other informed sledders)

SlowTouringGuy

If I were to leave Big Tub at 0900 hours on my sled travelling at a respectable 'Touring' speed how far south would I get by 4:00 PM including a stop for lunch and two stops for photo ops ??

If a train travelling eastbound left Detroit at ....... oops, never mind. Back to Southbound on the Bruce.........

Just a guess heading south .... Southampton or Port Elgin.

Wiarton..,maybe Owen Sound. Photo op's at Emmet Lake, need to know the trail, Hope Bay, couple of spots , east side far more scenic, also rougher depending on time of year (AC country I'm told)

W/S south of Ferndale is quicker to Sauble and south (2 hrs) Actually once south of Ferndale Wiarton is 1.5 -2 hrs max. Figure 2hrs from the Tub to Ferndale.

Wiarton..,maybe Owen Sound. Photo op's at Emmet Lake, need to know the trail, Hope Bay, couple of spots , east side far more scenic, also rougher depending on time of year (AC country I'm told)

W/S south of Ferndale is quicker to Sauble and south (2 hrs) Actually once south of Ferndale Wiarton is 1.5 -2 hrs max. Figure 2hrs from the Tub to Ferndale.

Thanks muchly. I've heard the trail north from the Stokes Bay area is slower due to twisties. Is Mom's still open in Ferndale for a bite to eat? Did the Satellite Motel ever have food? I don't think so.

May stay in the saddle from here over and back - trying to determine how many days to do the loop. And sounds like I should count on two days just for "Brucie P". What are your "typical" snow conditions (lousy question, I know) at the beginning of February? I ask in case we decide to combine this with Ride the Willy. (gawd, that makes me smile)

Guess I was a little off. :unsure:

I will refrain from making my usual caustic comment about you being off.

OH, do say 'hi' to Mrs. Mossy for me. I'm thinking of her. BTW, what shift are you working next week ? And did you refill the liquor cabinet ?

I will refrain from making my usual caustic comment about you being off.

Um, I think your mistaking me with Canuck! :lol:

Thanks muchly. I've heard the trail north from the Stokes Bay area is slower due to twisties Correct. Is Mom's still open in Ferndale for a bite to eat?Correct Did the Satellite Motel ever have food?NO I don't think so.

May stay in the saddle from here over and back - trying to determine how many days to do the loop. And sounds like I should count on two days just for "Brucie P" Correct. What are your "typical" snow conditions (lousy question, I know) at the beginning of February?White/semi frozen and wet. I ask in case we decide to combine this with Ride the Willy. (gawd, that makes me smile)

Just a guess heading south .... Southampton or Port Elgin.

- x2 on this.

- I used to live in Port, and it was a push to get to The Tub by dark.

- Lotsa twisty trails, but worth it!

- Just a question though,,,why not stay based in Owen Sound area and ride loops from there?

- You can do Collingwood, the Pennisula, Over to Port/South...

- It's been 15 years since I last rode up there, but those Clubhouses are the (were) the best!!!

Clubhouses gone...Stoney Keppel clubhouse- gone, Wiarton- gone, Sauble -gone, Meaford-gone.

although I do like the central location and loop idea. But having said that it is a great run coming from the east up the mountain and over our way.

Clubhouses gone...Stoney Keppel clubhouse- gone, Wiarton- gone, Sauble -gone, Meaford-gone.

although I do like the central location and loop idea. But having said that it is a great run coming from the east up the mountain and over our way.

I remember the Wiarton CH was there last year though unused I think, now gone? Reroute?

I think the only one we stopped at last year was N.W of O.Sound and south of Hepworth, had a kitchen in it and if you were lucky they sold fries and dogs, still there or gone too?

That's GBE and it's still there. It's on the B west of OS, north of Hwy 21. Wiarton's "old" clubhouse was just that, old and not used. Unable to access with a vehicle in the winter. That and the fact that Wiarton, as with many other clubs, didn't have the volunteer base to man or maintain it. Property might have changed hands too, can't remember.

Do u think so Faceman?

u think so Faceman? Not wanting to argue here, but I could ride that trail with my eye's closed (maybe) and I don't see doing that in 2 hrs, I see 2hrs getting u to Dyers Bay. I know riding from Little Eagle to Clark's Corners, I am 1.5.......and I don't travel real slow. Just sayin.

You might be correct .Last year, and my better half is no speed demon, we were sitting just south of Cyprus Lake at 330pm and we loaded in Ferndale by dark. It is a tough tight trail.

Do u think so Faceman?

u think so Faceman? Not wanting to argue here, but I could ride that trail with my eye's closed (maybe) and I don't see doing that in 2 hrs, I see 2hrs getting u to Dyers Bay. I know riding from Little Eagle to Clark's Corners, I am 1.5.......and I don't travel real slow. Just sayin.

Speaking of which, is Colonel Clark's still open for business ??

You might be correct .Last year, and my better half is no speed demon, we were sitting just south of Cyprus Lake at 330pm and we loaded in Ferndale by dark. It is a tough tight trail.

That's what I'm looking for - reasonable times. I think we can tell by my moniker that I'm not breaking any land speed records. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Riding from my house in Purple Valley NE of Wiarton,it is an ALL day ride to the Tub and back (thinking 10-11 hours or so). Granted I'm not that fast.Fuel could be a problem too.

Riding from my house in Purple Valley NE of Wiarton,it is an ALL day ride to the Tub and back (thinking 10-11 hours or so). Granted I'm not that fast.Fuel could be a problem too.

That's good info. So I could conclude that One-Way from Owen Sound to the Tub is a fair day on the sled. Great !

One-Way from Owen Sound ...............

Are you coming back? Some of these guys (and gals) would miss you .. B)

(LMV and me just want to know where you keep the scotch)

Archived