SNOWCREST TRAIL REPORTS-2010-2011

blakesnowcrest

:banghead:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OH PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE BE SQUALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday

Flurries or snow squalls. Low minus 12. High minus 9.

Thursday

Flurries or snow squalls. Low minus 17. High minus 10.

Friday

Flurries. Low minus 17. High minus 6.

If not, we are doomed. Yesterday we rode from the Wharf via C101D ( limited at best ) to 15 ( trashed, bare roads, ROCKS ) to 4 ( lots of ROCKS and bare road and slush ) to D ( rough, soft, SNIRT, ROCKS, exposed granite ) to C101D ( see above) back to the Wharf.

Killswitch got her first experience with a very limited trail ride. She was not impressed.

Our trails need at least a foot of workable snow to save them. I fear with no real base again this year, we will be done by the start of March if we're lucky. :(

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

If not, we are doomed. Yesterday we rode from the Wharf via C101D ( limited at best ) to 15 ( trashed, bare roads, ROCKS ) to 4 ( lots of ROCKS and bare road and slush ) to D ( rough, soft, SNIRT, ROCKS, exposed granite ) to C101D ( see above) back to the Wharf.

Killswitch got her first experience with a very limited trail ride. She was not impressed.

Our trails need at least a foot of workable snow to save them. I fear with no real base again this year, we will be done by the start of March if we're lucky. :(

Wow there was no snow Muskoka! Was at Deerhurst on weekend and man it was thin!!!!!

Hope you guys get squalls!

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Agreed, changing to Limited was a good call. I rode from 9-2 yesterday and yep, they were beat, in need of a good amount of snow, cold and a fresh groom. All which is coming this week so I suspect next weekend we will be in much better shape.

Wow there was no snow Muskoka! Was at Deerhurst on weekend and man it was thin!!!!!

Hope you guys get squalls!

Were you actually on any of the trails, UTS? Overall, the trails in central and north Muskoka are anything but "thin"...except for D102B just north of Deerhurst itself, which is always tough with all the weekend traffic it gets. South of there on 102B, the Hill and Gully system, and all of the stuff to the north and east (D, D101B, 77, 78, 79, etc.) were mint on Sunday PM, even after all the Saturday traffic related to the Kelly Shires Ride.

That being said, some more squalls are always welcome... :-D

Were you actually on any of the trails, UTS? Overall, the trails in central and north Muskoka are anything but "thin"...except for D102B just north of Deerhurst itself, which is always tough with all the weekend traffic it gets. South of there on 102B, the Hill and Gully system, and all of the stuff to the north and east (D, D101B, 77, 78, 79, etc.) were mint on Sunday PM, even after all the Saturday traffic related to the Kelly Shires Ride.

That being said, some more squalls are always welcome... :-D

No I wasnt out on the trails. Was just judging by actual snowcover and depth around me. Its not been a usual Huntsville winter. We usually get the streamers off Gbay.

Staying optimistic here, its been snowing all day in G-Hurst, not a huge amount but some none the less. Abouut 5-8 cm fell today and with more on the way let hope things turn around. The trails look dirty and in need of some TLC. I have a question for anyone that can answer, I wanna head out to the main lake via the bay but I dont want to have to go through the narrows them self. Is there a there a trail to take to get past them and onto the main lake? Thanks guys for any help!

Staying optimistic here, its been snowing all day in G-Hurst, not a huge amount but some none the less. Abouut 5-8 cm fell today and with more on the way let hope things turn around. The trails look dirty and in need of some TLC. I have a question for anyone that can answer, I wanna head out to the main lake via the bay but I dont want to have to go through the narrows them self. Is there a there a trail to take to get past them and onto the main lake? Thanks guys for any help!

As you head toward the narrows stay left and you'll see a trail that goes on the shore, it's well travelled but not necessarily marked. It's a short portage to the big lake.

As you head toward the narrows stay left and you'll see a trail that goes on the shore, it's well travelled but not necessarily marked. It's a short portage to the big lake.

Its not marked at all but the hard pack up the bay runs right to it.

Beware the dam bubbler directly on the other end of the little trail across the portage.

Is there a good packed trail on the main heading towards Taboo's ? I wanna take the portable out sometime this week and go for lakers but dont wanna bust slush all the way. What da u think

Is there a good packed trail on the main heading towards Taboo's ? I wanna take the portable out sometime this week and go for lakers but dont wanna bust slush all the way. What da u think

Ask your friend Mike Lemay, he has a hut right out there.

:woot:

paper002.jpg

paper003.jpg

:woot:

Great to see the kids recognized for volunteering.

We have gone GREEN again!!!! Two of our industrial groomers have had some issues that impacted some scheduled grooming but should be repaired today and back out tonight.

Well then; the guy that colours the map must have picked up the wrong crayons again. :roll: :roll:

I can't tell 1 min 35sec and still loading :icon_doh:

Well then; the guy that colours the map must have picked up the wrong crayons again. :roll: :roll:

http://snowcrestriders.com/trails

With the current mild spell all our trails are LIMITED. At this time we are requesting that you stay off the trails to preserve the base! All our lakes are staked . (Use at your own risk) . Please see below for trail conditions. With many thanks to our Volunteers and Groomer-Operators for working with the extremely challenging 2011 Season.

Local sources also report a snow loss off about 6" so we really need more snow...

• 2 weeks later...

ALL Snowcrest trails are now open as LIMITED! OFSC Interactive site should be updated by tomorrow but the Snowcrest web site is showing all trails as limited.

Welllllllllllllllllll, I would say that some could be listed as OPEN, mainly the 9, 10, 12 and 14. Remarkably good condition considering with very few carbide / stud strikes.

The C101D north from 15 intersection west of Gravenhurst to Southwood road on the other hand should still be listed as CLOSED. Very little loose snow on the road bits. Lots of exposed granite on all the ridges. The snow between the rock lumps is smooth and nice but you spend more time off trail bypassing rock than you do on it unless you like hearing your expensive carbide junk grinding against Canadian shield.

some pics from the week

Trail 4

snowcrestpics024.jpg

snowcrestpics016.jpg

snowcrestpics026-1.jpg

:right_on:

Wet snow in Severn Bridge!

About 1cm so far!

:right_on:

Archived