Opinions Needed -' 1+1' seat & TourBuddy Tank

slomo

Gradually getting my ducks in a row regards purchase of new sled. Your input on add-on equipment would be appreciated.

1. BRP makes a '1+1' seat to add on to a GSX model. There is also a product called Seat Jack - made by Jack Industries in Quebec. The BRP product looks to be more ergonically designed providing better comfort for the rider, but the price is prohibitive. The Seat Jack is about half the price, but doesn't look as comfortable or functional. Price being less a consideration (Ms. slomo contributing to sled purchase and rider of said seats) is the BRP seat way better than the other, or will the Seat Jack do nicely?

2. Anyone experience any glitches with the TourBuddy auxillary fuel tank? Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!

Addendum - if Mossy is reading this, please empty your PM box or PM me...any conveyor belt rubber coming up Parry Sound way?

Gradually getting my ducks in a row regards purchase of new sled. Your input on add-on equipment would be appreciated.

1. BRP makes a '1+1' seat to add on to a GSX model. There is also a product called Seat Jack - made by Jack Industries in Quebec. The BRP product looks to be more ergonically designed providing better comfort for the rider, but the price is prohibitive. The Seat Jack is about half the price, but doesn't look as comfortable or functional. Price being less a consideration (Ms. slomo contributing to sled purchase and rider of said seats) is the BRP seat way better than the other, or will the Seat Jack do nicely?

2. Anyone experience any glitches with the TourBuddy auxillary fuel tank? Does it work as advertised?

Thanks!

Addendum - if Mossy is reading this, please empty your PM box or PM me...any conveyor belt rubber coming up Parry Sound way?

I've met the Mrs,.......................................get her the 1+1 seat. It really is quite comfortable. You can also get some additional add ons like hand warmers...........etc if required.

Hi Slomo,I would for sure go with the BRP seat,it is a great product and you can usually find used ones for-sale!!

As for the the Tour Buddy also a great product that I have never seen any problems or bad review's on!!

But as you are buying a BRP sled it may well not be something you need as the fuel mileage might just blow your mind!!

Good luck with your purchase!!

ps,can you believe to answer on this with out a off topic remark?I guess the animals are out riding!! :poke:

I had a tour buddy on my 01 skidoo zx800 gas hog and it worked as claimed. Fit and function were excellent as far as I was concerned and would not hesitate to purchase again. Later model Skidoo's I went with the aux tank on the tunnel for distance but now I am on a 1200 and no longer carry extra gas because someone in the group will always need fuel before me.

Max

Send a PM to 30cal4me (my brother). He's had a Seat Jack on a ZX & now has a 1+1 on a REV. MY nephew who's now 12 had been the passenger since he outgrew the Kid Karrier.

We've had both. I wouldn't compare seat satisfaction from a 12 year old that would most likely endure any seat just to be out there on a sled, with your wife/partner that you have to share a house and more importantly, a bed with later. Unless you're okay with the couch for a few days after every ride, I wouldn't risk buying the Seat Jack. They're ok for smaller kids but aren't a great option for longer rides or adults. As mentioned, you can add heated grips on the BRP seat and wind deflectors. A higher back rest if needed. On a Seat Jack, it is what it is. Not even worth McGyvering to try to please Ms. Slomo. Keep your eyes open for a used one. Make sure the seat and bracket will work for your sled and that all of the hardware is included.

As for the Tour Buddy, I had one on an 2002 Legend. I picked up a used clutch cover at the wreckers and installed it so that it could easily be installed or removed as the planned distance dictated. It worked flawlesly. No complaints other than there's a fair bit of movement allowed of the clutch cover therefore possible leading to rubbing through of fuel lines if you ever get in a hurry. On the newer model sleds, the tank mounts on the rear behind the seat. I did hear that they had problems on the Rev chassis with gas lines rubbing through as they mount under the seat. This makes for a potentially dangerous situation. Not to mention stinky and expensive at today's gas prices. Nothing worse than planning on having XX number of gallons of gas to get you to your next destination only to find it all leaked out all over you overnight gear strapped onto the back of the sled. If it were me, oh wait, it was me. I bought the BRP spare jerry can that straps onto the back of the tunnel. Go with a sure thing. Just my opinion.

Best of luck and happy (s)miles with what ever you decide.

Jeff

The seat jack looks like a set of Dingo balls on a 78 Trans Am. Cheap and sleezy. Go for the BRP seat system. Looks way better and your Wife will thank you.

i use the BRP on my mxz for 4 years now and the wife loves it, but i know they do want a lot of money for them.u get what u pay for. hope this helps.

1+1 is OK for short hops on well groomed trails but with no real back rest your rider must always hang on tight and that can become real tiring "I get that explained to me after wife joins me for ride" if you plan on long rides opt for touring model unless couch is real comfy...

To add to what Jeff mentioned about my initial post, my brother could fill you in as to "his" opinion. I think the Seat Jack seat is wider to fit over the sled's seat. Unless a person was bow legged, they might find this uncomfortable.

The seat jack is a real hemorriod helper ! It has all of about 1/2 inch of foam on a steel structure and mounts so high that it destabilizes the sled . Slomo I honestly believe that you should seriously consider a two up sled the newer ones do outhandle the older classic type chassis that you had . As for gas milage I believe that all of todays sleds have a large range on the factory tank .

Slomo,

I can offer now opinion on 1+1/seat jack but I do have a question.

Why are you asking about a TourBuddy auxillary fuel tank?

Curiosity...STG, figure as time goes on, less gas stations available particularly in rural areas.

Thanks for all the replies! :wavey:

Also want to pipe in re: Tour Buddy Tank and Seat Jack.

Older sleds had bad mileage, and Tour Buddy made sense. If you are considering a new sled, mileage should not be an issue.

Owned a Seat Jack (on '97 Yamaha). Good for kids; not so good for wife if you subscribe to the maxim 'happy wife, happy life". :)

Slomo,

Curiosity...STG, figure as time goes on, less gas stations available particularly in rural areas.

Slomo,

Less, or not. I really don't think you need to consider a TB. (There's probabaly a Tour'Buddy Proincial Champion Global interprovincial Provincial therefore continue stroking toware Tudhippe park'

Slomo,

Slomo,

Less, or not. I really don't think you need to consider a TB. (There's probabaly a Tour'Buddy Proincial Champion Global interprovincial Provincial therefore continue stroking toware Tudhippe park'

Wasn't aware you had Wenaillem1 as a house guest..!?? :poke: one for you :poke: one for Wenaillem1.

Once talked to a Vietnam war vet about his biggest worry on patrol. He pretty well jettisoned everything else he had to carry in favour of extra ammunition - deathly afraid he'd run out. Feel the same way about gas. The TourBuddy is probably overkill, but at this point my 'philosophical thinking' includes as many potential uses - short jaunts - long trips (as inspired by various EA adventures -being posted disappointingly fewer :poke: another for you) as possible.

In my immediate neighbourhood in the south, there have been 5 Shell stations close, I expect further 'consolidation' with the merging of Petrocan and Suncor (Sunoco), have seen less gas available in the Parry Sound area - Orrville, Bear Lake, etc. and the closing of stations all up the highway 69 corridor. Similar occurances in other areas judging by various posts here. Could always strap on a couple of gas cans I suppose as long as there is room for my emergency gear - generator, coffee maker, dvd/tv, P.C. etc. etc. :rolleyes:

...if you subscribe to the maxim 'happy wife, happy life". :)

:right_on: If anything qualifies as a no-brainer, that's it!...:rotflmao:

I think that's one of the "Marriage Commandments", isn't it? :-D

And Slomo, FWIW, I agree with STG and Canuck (sorry guys, for whatever that does to your credibility... :-P ). Many of today's sleds are good enough on fuel that the need for a Tour Buddy seems to be pretty rare, so I would question whether it's worth the hassle...both installation and risk of leakage, however slight that might be.

And as for the Seat Jack, I agree with other comments on here...a dedicated touring sled is by far the better way to go, if you are going to be riding 2-up any more often than very occasionally, and/or for any great distances. The next best choice (IMHO) is the BRP 1+1 seat option for the REV or REV XP chassis sleds, although that option is indeed very $$spendy. But at least you seem to get what you pay for, in terms of the quality of materials and "engineering" of the attachment system.

Good luck with your decision.

I suggest a 2up sled as well. It's cheaper to buy the GTX or Grand Touring than buying a GSX and adding a 1+1 with warmers and backrest. Plus you get the longer track with the 2up and the 2nd seat pops off too. Best deal going if you ask me. You'll want to upgrade to stiffer rear springs on the GSX if you're going to be riding 2up at all.

If going with the GSX, I strongly suggest getting the hand warmers and backrest. My wife and I have put on close to 7000 kms on a 2005 GSX with a 1+1 riding 2up. After 2 big trips I bought an aftermarket backrest and modified it to work on the sled. You need a backrest for the passeger to feel safe and be able to relax.

It's cheaper to buy the GTX or Grand Touring than buying a GSX and adding a 1+1 with warmers and backrest. Plus you get the longer track with the 2up and the 2nd seat pops off too. Best deal going if you ask me.

He's absolutely right. There's something like a $500.00 price difference at MSRP and, as he points out, you not only get the second seat, you get the long track. Of course, I'm offering the unbiased opinion of a Couch Fanatic. :-D

Slomo,

I thought you woke up when WB mentioned hemorrriods

Slomo,

I thought you woke up when WB mentioned hemorrriods

This Preparation G sure doesn't work. I may as well stick it up m........ :oops::oops:

:wavey:

Thanks for all the ideas ....really appreciate your input.

Bought our original touring couch back in 2002 with the idea that Ms. slomo and I would do a fair amount of 2 up riding, but as the years passed, our recreational needs diverged.(she runs marathons, cross country skiis, just got a pair of 'technical snowshoes' and a nice sea kayak is likely going to show up for her upcoming birthday) She might get on the sled about 5% of the time on occasion, so sold the couch to get something lighter and more manueverable for myself, with capacity for her occasional jaunts. At a list price of $1,040.00 for the BRP seat and backrest, the OEM seat seems pretty pricey, but (repeat ad nauseum) 'happy life, happy wife'....

So, going through of process of product comparison in order to match machine, pricing, options, etc. with amount of use I can realistically expect over the next 5 years. (or longer if my retirement plans change) My sledding time is largely confined to weekends only, given the other factors such as trail conditions, weather etc.

As attracted as I am to the Etec, four strokes, etc. given up front costs, am strongly leaning toward the GSX 550 fan model. Have it on good authority from an "elder statesman" on the forum here, that it performs adequately on long trips, will extend my riding in seasons such as last winter where icey trails eliminated cooling for the liquid cooled sled, there is enough 'ummph' for my type of riding, and is generally simpler to operate and maintain. (now if only that new IPAD would read check engine codes, Steve Jobs may have had my attention)

The fuel range is lower (100 miles per tank, verses 140 miles per tank on previous couch) which is why I was curious about the TouringBuddy. Faceman came up with a neat fuel carrier last year, so may be able to emulate his efforts with something similar.

Given that the newer, more technically advanced sleds are approaching the price of a new compact car, and I am particularly debt adverse, have to scale down my costs of this purchase if I am to afford to eat brand name cat and dog food in my retirement years, as opposed to the stuff in the yellow and black cans.

Various tips and trips posted on OC.com have been very helpful in helping me develop an overall philosophy for my participation in sledding which at this point encompasses having the sled as an "appliance" up at the camp for use (or not) up at the camp on weekends, will likely get a small light single trailer for planned weekends in other locales (the nice rolling farmland trails out around Mrs. Mossy's way, Port Perry for the first few weeks of the season until the January thaw, up in Sudbury following SledJunk's exploits - maps/details of which I have saved, or if I accidentally kill someone at work and get suspended with pay, an Epic Adventure here or there)

For now, prepared to live vicariously through the sledding stories and pictures of other forum members this year, while I wait for machines currently in inventory to drop to off season prices (and do better on the price of that 1+1 seat) or see what incentives there are for a spring order for next year!

Thanks again!

Rather than look at a spring order for a 2011 sled I think I would look at waiting until the fall and getting a non current 2010 sled at a huge discount or even possibly a 2009. The dealers will admit that new sled sales are down dramatically from last year. You just have to look at the crates they have stacked up in their inventory that are usually gone by now. I know one dealer told me he is down 30% this year. I bet there will be some huge discounts to be had for sure.

I expect further 'consolidation' with the merging of Petrocan and Suncor (Sunoco),

Sorry for the hijack, but Husky is buying around 90 Sunoco/Petro-Canada locations in Ontario as a condition of the merger, so there may be none closed as a result of the merger.

I expect further 'consolidation' with the merging of Petrocan and Suncor (Sunoco),

Sorry for the hijack, but Husky is buying around 90 Sunoco/Petro-Canada locations in Ontario as a condition of the merger, so there may be none closed as a result of the merger.

Good news! Out west, where they are more prevalent, they had the best 'bonus' schemes and more incentives than any other brand.

And you can't beat the hot beef sandwich at their Husky Truck Stops...huge slabs of beef on non-enriched white bread, gravy you can stand your spoon in, canned peas at just the right temperature, and I can still hear the sizzle and pop from pouring vinegar onto the 'just out of the fryer' french fries. (no peanut oil used there!)Great comfort food after or during a long day of driving!

Archived