iPad Demo features Snocross Game

skidooer

Just in case you have been living under a rock for the last month, everyone has been expecting Apple to release a tablet computer today. The rumours are true. Most interesting, as it relates to this forum, is that the game Snocross (iTunes link) was demoed during the presentation. The screengrab doesn't show much, but still very cool, at least in my eyes, to see snowmobiling in the limelight like this.

post-19708-126461773774.jpg

Just in case you have been living under a rock for the last month, everyone has been expecting Apple to release a tablet computer today. The rumours are true. Most interesting, as it relates to this forum, is that the game Snocross (iTunes link) was demoed during the presentation. The screengrab doesn't show much, but still very cool, at least in my eyes, to see snowmobiling in the limelight like this.

post-19708-126461773774.jpg

So? Do you have one yet? On Order?

So? Do you have one yet? On Order?

I'm a little curious about porting my app (another iTunes link) to the larger screen, but otherwise I'm not seeing it as a must have device just yet. Maybe I will change my mind when I have a chance to take a closer look at it.

its not there yet for me either.

Now that I have spent some time playing with the new OS, I have to say that from what I have seen so far is really slick. I honestly believe what you are seeing in the iPad, at least software-wise, is the future of personal computing. You heard it here first.

I'm still not going to rush out to buy one, but for someone who uses their computer exclusively as an entertainment device as opposed to a place where work gets done, I can really see the appeal. Hardware starts at $499 and unlimited mobile internet is $30/month. It seems like a great way for grandma to get up and running.

for the Apple cultists the press conference may have created some stir, but largely underwhelmed myself....

So you stand by the desktop metaphor? Or you just mean you are underwhelmed by the hardware?

What is interesting is that the iPad (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) more or less implements Jeff Raskin's original vision for the Macintosh. Had history played out in a slightly different way, your Windows PC would be much like the iPad is today.

So, while I agree that the presentation was a lot more sizzle than bacon, the product is going to quickly evolve. Other players are going to jump in with their own, similar products (MS Surface, for example), and that is where the revolution will begin. to quote Loren Britcher, "The Mac had a great run, but this is the end of the desktop OS."

Had history played out in a slightly different way, your Windows PC would be much like the iPad is today.

And, if the dog hadn't stopped to pi$$, he'd have caught the rabbit, too. :rotflmao:

And, if the dog hadn't stopped to pi$$, he'd have caught the rabbit, too. :rotflmao:

Are you suggesting that Microsoft would have independently come up with the desktop metaphor? Or are you suggesting that Gates would have paid a visit to Xerox like Jobs? Or, perhaps, you are suggesting that Xerox would have reigned supreme in the absence of the Macintosh? All speculation, of course, but the fact remains that the iPad was conceived a long, long time ago and it is awesome to finally see the concept see fruition.

for the Apple cultists the press conference may have created some stir, but largely underwhelmed myself....

So you stand by the desktop metaphor? Or you just mean you are underwhelmed by the hardware?

What is interesting is that the iPad (and to a lesser extent the iPhone) more or less implements Jeff Raskin's original vision for the Macintosh. Had history played out in a slightly different way, your Windows PC would be much like the iPad is today.

So, while I agree that the presentation was a lot more sizzle than bacon, the product is going to quickly evolve. Other players are going to jump in with their own, similar products (MS Surface, for example), and that is where the revolution will begin. to quote Loren Britcher, "The Mac had a great run, but this is the end of the desktop OS."

Living in a company house in Garson, we had an outhouse until the time I was 7 years old. One week a lot of digging and renovating took place and we had indoor plumbing. If some new technology is announced, it had better be pretty impressive to get my attention and hold my interest. An undersize lap top didn't do it for me. :coffeenose:

Had history played out in a slightly different way, your Windows PC would be much like the iPad is today.

WTF! :blink:

Im enjoying my Blackberry. Does everything I need!

If some new technology is announced, it had better be pretty impressive to get my attention and hold my interest. An undersize lap top didn't do it for me. :coffeenose:

They completely redefined the user-computer interaction model that has been used for the past 30 years and you're not in any way impressed? To call this thing an undersized laptop, or an oversized iPhone, really misses the point of what has been achieved here. It's like saying the first trips into space were not impressive because they didn't reach the moon.

I can understand why you are not interested in this specific product, I'm not really either. But what this has done has set the precedent for future computers from all vendors. The PC laptop running Windows that you buy in a few years will incorporate many of the ideas brought to life here.

Or maybe you're not impressed because the iPhone was really the first computer to demonstrate this paradigm shift, and from that point of view it is simply evolutionary?

A computer running DOS can, theoretically, do everything you need. That doesn't mean it is fun to use. Microsoft would have never made a fortune selling Windows otherwise. ;)

If some new technology is announced, it had better be pretty impressive to get my attention and hold my interest. An undersize lap top didn't do it for me. :coffeenose:

They completely redefined the user-computer interaction model that has been used for the past 30 years and you're not in any way impressed? To call this thing an undersized laptop, or an oversized iPhone, really misses the point of what has been achieved here. It's like saying the first trips into space were not impressive because they didn't reach the moon.

I can understand why you are not interested in this specific product, I'm not really either. But what this has done has set the precedent for future computers from all vendors. The PC laptop running Windows that you buy in a few years will incorporate many of the ideas brought to life here.

Or maybe you're not impressed because the iPhone was really the first computer to demonstrate this paradigm shift, and from that point of view it is simply evolutionary?

A computer running DOS can, theoretically, do everything you need. That doesn't mean it is fun to use. Microsoft would have never made a fortune selling Windows otherwise. ;)

I certainly admire your enthusiasm and point of view...I guess the clincher for me is - to quote - "computer running DOS/Windows does everything I need".

One week a lot of digging and renovating took place and we had indoor plumbing. If some new technology is announced, it had better be pretty impressive to get my attention and hold my interest.

Slomo - I love your logic! :)

We've had many debates, with friends and after consumption of sreebs, over great inventions. The usual candidates are first printing press, automobile, computer, etc.

You may be suggesting... the indoor toilet?

This one will be filed away. Thanks Slomo.

It's really not so bad under this rock. :)

me,under a rock also.this would have been big news 10 yrs ago,lots of stuff out there now,,,,,good product,,,,but by the time it gets out and up here it will be to late for any fad to catch on.If it were my product I would have included gps software for free,,,,and incorporated their security system,so to promote the fact if it is stolen,it is rendured useless.

If it were my product I would have included gps software for free,,,,and incorporated their security system,so to promote the fact if it is stolen,it is rendured useless.

At very least the 3G model will have GPS. It is logical to assume that it will be added as a supported device for the "Find my iPhone" service. So basically, they pretty much agree with your assertion. ;)

One week a lot of digging and renovating took place and we had indoor plumbing. If some new technology is announced, it had better be pretty impressive to get my attention and hold my interest.

Slomo - I love your logic! :)

We've had many debates, with friends and after consumption of sreebs, over great inventions. The usual candidates are first printing press, automobile, computer, etc.

You may be suggesting... the indoor toilet?

This one will be filed away. Thanks Slomo.

The Sudbury area seemed to be much colder then, than it is now. Any tech advance beyond the indoor plumbing (particularly in the winter)is just icing on the cake for me! :right_on:

It's really not so bad under this rock. :)

Agreed...move over...for the Apple cultists the press conference may have created some stir, but largely underwhelmed myself....

X3...hope it's a big rock. Luddites-R-Us :-D

Ok ok I will go back in the cave now! :-D

Don't you live in a hole? :rolleyes:

Archived