North Bay to Shining Tree??? Pics added 1/19/10

AkronOrange

Does anyone know if the lakes have been staked? There is Trout Lake and another, I forget the name, that need to be crossed to make the ride. Hoping to go up next weekend and the weekend after.

As always any info would be appreciated,

Trout Lake was staked Friday January 8th, 2010 as follows:

TOP D from Highway 17 at Mr. Gas across Trout Lake to One Mile Bay at The McCoys so you can head north on TOP A/D which is in great shape, rode it today (Sunday, Jan 10th)

TOP A2 from The McCoys across 4 Mile Bay to Nordic Ski Club on Northshore Road

The full length of Trout Lake being TOP A1 has not yet been staked

TOP AD in great shape from The McCoys northerly to Tilden Lake

Check out Trail Conditions at

Trout Lake was staked Friday January 8th, 2010 as follows:

TOP D from Highway 17 at Mr. Gas across Trout Lake to One Mile Bay at The McCoys so you can head north on TOP A/D which is in great shape, rode it today (Sunday, Jan 10th)

TOP A2 from The McCoys across 4 Mile Bay to Nordic Ski Club on Northshore Road

The full length of Trout Lake being TOP A1 has not yet been staked

TOP AD in great shape from The McCoys northerly to Tilden Lake

Check out Trail Conditions at

Does anyone know if the lakes have been staked? There is Trout Lake and another, I forget the name, that need to be crossed to make the ride. Hoping to go up next weekend and the weekend after.

As always any info would be appreciated,

AO is looking for info on Tomiko L, is it staked :?: I see Trout L is getting staked so it appears that the lakes are freezing up nicely. What club is responsible for this lake so we can get an update before the weekend :?:

Any updates on this? I know that Trout has been staked, wondering about the snow coverage.

Thanks,

We ran from NB to 3 Bears on Saturday and back on Sunday. All of the lakes were staked with the excetion of Wanapitei. Started at Torbay the trails around North Bay were rough as usual. Took A/D to D, it seemed like spring conditions on A/D. D had not been groomed and was very narrow, they were working on the brush as were rode through. The rail bed through River Valley was in good condition. We rode to C206D which was very good. We took C206D to 78 which was not very good at all, of course it is listed as closed! There spots of open water. We managed to find our way around in most cases, but my new sled did get dirty. The rest of C206D was good. C trail was very nice, the best trails of the trip soo to meet with the worst part of the trip. Where "C" meets with Sandy Lake Road and you follow that road for about .5 mile there is a turn off to continue on "C", if you continue straight on Sandy Lake Road you are on the "Optional Lake Trail", this is the route you should take. There is a major logging operation underway on "C" trail, it has been scraped clean to the gravel below. We found this out the hard way.

The next day we ran the lake trail, it was better, there are narrow difficult places at the portages along the way, but they won't cost you a new set of Hyfax. We also learned a bit about 78 trail from our experience the day before so we were able to navigate our way around most of the hazards. The conditions around the North Bay area worsened from Saturday to Sunday.

I'll post some pics in the next couple of days. If you have any questions send me a PM.

We had a trip for this weekend planned for NB to ST to NL to NB. I don't think we will be making the 6 hour drive to experience similar conditions.

The clubs are doing about as much as they can with the limited amount of snow they have and the warm temps.

Some pics from the trip. The good and the bad.

Some trails were very nice:

2Nottoobad.jpg

We made it to the Sportsman without too much trouble:

4SaturdayattheSportsman.jpg

Then we had to ride 78. It was rough in places:

1178Tral1.jpg

In most cases there was a better way around, partially though the bush:

1378Tail3.jpg

But we made it to our big steaks at 3 Bears:

7MadeIt.jpg

The next day was more of the same, some good:

9StillGood.jpg

Some not so good:

15GettingThrough.jpg

But we were safe and had a good time:

16Wemadeit.jpg

ouch!

we have a NB trip planned this weekend. I guess you didn't travelling east? Sometimes there is more snow in that direction.

we were planning to go to gowganda this weekend, is this logging before or after the turn to go to gowganda?

we were planning to go to gowganda this weekend, is this logging before or after the turn to go to gowganda?

this logging is by Shining Tree probably as there is a lake trail there too. You'll be headed in the other direction by then if headed to Gowganda.

well that's good. one less crappy spot to worry about.

AO, thanks for the update. I marked the Opt Lake trail endpoints the last time we were thru there. Hopefully they're using the same route.

this logging is by Shining Tree probably as there is a lake trail there too. You'll be headed in the other direction by then if headed to Gowganda.

Grassy Road is also scraped to the stone from what I understand. Give Kelly at 3 Bears a call she will fill you in. 888-315-4540

Good Luck,

WTF!!! Can they not leave any snow on the roads?

OK, I'll be the devils advocate. If the trails are marked closed as Shining Tree is, why are you complaining about lack of snow on roads and logging / water on trails? These may be some of the reason they are marked closed.

OK, I'll be the devils advocate. If the trails are marked closed as Shining Tree is, why are you complaining about lack of snow on roads and logging / water on trails? These may be some of the reason they are marked closed.

trails are marked closed due to signage I've been told.

Do the clubs have to knock the snow off the signs after each snowfall?

Do the clubs have to knock the snow off the signs after each snowfall?

not this year! They're always late in opening even though they've been grroming for some time.

trails are marked closed due to signage I've been told.

PLC,

You're right. We should wait until they're open, be good citizens and follow the rules, never exceed the posted speed limit, blah, blah, blah. Just pay our $200, and be happy we could.

I think we all have the right to express a bit of dissappointment when we lose part of our short season.

where's grassy road??

where's grassy road??

Grassy Lake Rd is North of Shining Tree............somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

where's grassy road??

Grassy Lake Rd is North of Shining Tree............somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a north trail. Heads toward Timmins and connects with the east trails that head toward Gowganda and Matachewan. Brandon at 3 Bears said there is a bridge out that makes the trip to Matachewan impassable at this time.

OK, we'll avoid that one as well then. So far our trip is still on but that 78 trail looks like hell. Been on it a thousand times on atv's looks like we'll have to trailer them with us to get through there. :angry:

OK, we'll avoid that one as well then. So far our trip is still on but that 78 trail looks like hell. Been on it a thousand times on atv's looks like we'll have to trailer them with us to get through there. :angry:

Well you could go around the south side of Wanapitei & up thru Capreol. Evil's been to Rocky's so maybe she can fill us in on that stretch?

Yes, the Grassy Road is north of Shining Tree (starts @ Hwy. 560) on the way to Gogama & Timmins. Not necessary if going east from Shining Tree.

Well you could go around the south side of Wanapitei & up thru Capreol. Evil's been to Rocky's so maybe she can fill us in on that stretch?

Yes, the Grassy Road is north of Shining Tree (starts @ Hwy. 560) on the way to Gogama & Timmins. Not necessary if going east from Shining Tree.

I wonder how much extra time that adds, if any, by going south of the lake instead of north.

Trails are marked close for any number of reasons signage is only one, open water holes or hazards on the trail of any kind can cause the trail to be left closed. Trails are not marked open until the groomer is able to make at least one pass and usually then marked as limited until a second pass or the trail is in better condition. The first pass is normally a packing pass.

78 may be opened iin the next week - it is an area that requires more snow and cold than most trails.

C north of Whanapitae was groomed again yesterday. The trail to the south of Whanapitae is open and groomed as is C206D north of the lake.

Archived