North Bay to Shining Tree??? Pics added 1/19/10

AkronOrange

OK, we'll avoid that one as well then. So far our trip is still on but that 78 trail looks like hell. Been on it a thousand times on atv's looks like we'll have to trailer them with us to get through there. :angry:

You could bypass 78 by going through Garson, Hanmer then up to Capreol.

OK, we'll avoid that one as well then. So far our trip is still on but that 78 trail looks like hell. Been on it a thousand times on atv's looks like we'll have to trailer them with us to get through there. :angry:

Well you could go around the south side of Wanapitei & up thru Capreol. Evil's been to Rocky's so maybe she can fill us in on that stretch?

Yes, the Grassy Road is north of Shining Tree (starts @ Hwy. 560) on the way to Gogama & Timmins. Not necessary if going east from Shining Tree.

I wonder how much extra time that adds, if any, by going south of the lake instead of north.

If you are comming in from River Valley along the 'D' I would take the 83 over the bridge to 81 then head to the 72. The 72 is a rail bed and will save alot to time. I rode that stretch last weekend and it wasn't bad. On the 72 you will hit Ella Lake where you can head west to the 'C' or east to West Bay. From what I hear guys are running West Bay then getting on the road and running it to Rockeys... I have not done that stretch this year.

I will be running from West Bay Road along the 72 and up to Shining Tree on Saturday.

If you are comming in from River Valley along the 'D' I would take the 83 over the bridge to 81 then head to the 72.

Are you referring to the spot where the 81 1nd 83 are very close together? Is the bridge over the Wahnapitae River?

Well you could go around the south side of Wanapitei & up thru Capreol. Evil's been to Rocky's so maybe she can fill us in on that stretch?

Yes, the Grassy Road is north of Shining Tree (starts @ Hwy. 560) on the way to Gogama & Timmins. Not necessary if going east from Shining Tree.

I wonder how much extra time that adds, if any, by going south of the lake instead of north.

If you take the rail bed over the Wanupatie River...(if you stay on the railbed coming from River Valley.....keep going straight.......don't turn left like the trail signs say to do. You will go over a very tall trestle............then you meet up with the trail again on the other side. This will save you lots of time. I'd say in total it would probably take you anhour to get to Capreol.

59_aae522461706a76aafc01074c8346c2f

I'm surprised they haven't blocked the railbed to prevent sledders from using the bridge.

I've gone over this bridge many many times. OK so the question is (it was almost answered but not 100%) after the bridge I'll take 81 to 72. Now on 72 will I get to 62 and then go into Capreol to the C? Is this all open or should I say "limited"?

I've gone over this bridge many many times. OK so the question is (it was almost answered but not 100%) after the bridge I'll take 81 to 72. Now on 72 will I get to 62 and then go into Capreol to the C? Is this all open or should I say "limited"?

My guess is that the 72 will be bumpy but it is all listed "limited".

Yes, this is where you would go. Take the bridge though..............saves a lot of time.

Definately taking the bridge. We've never bothered to go way down and around the bridge.

Thanks for the suggestion gang.

have you ever taken the bridge?... its great fun!

many many many times. We hang out around the same area during the summer as well with our atv's. It's a cool bridge.

many many many times. We hang out around the same area during the summer as well with our atv's. It's a cool bridge.

If you're heading towards North Bay, look for the bike in a tree to your right! Not sure how they managed that one!

If you're heading towards North Bay, look for the bike in a tree to your right! Not sure how they managed that one!

Pardon :shock: where is this bike?

Here is the track to by-pass the road into 3 bears.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103589573816647402998.00047dca19e43cb661feb&z=9

Grassy road by-pass on C is also set up but I do not have the tracks for that one. It now runs west along 560 then north. If you want to ride through Capreol up take the railbed all the way over to Capreol and then get gas there no need to go to Rocky's trail into Rocky's is not groomed. Sunoco in capreol is about 6km out of your way. Take C straight up and avoid 78 it is a mess. Good running north on C excempt the pole line gets a little rough for about 20km, once North of there good running all the way to 3 bears.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=103589573816647402998.00047dca19e43cb661feb&z=9

Grassy road by-pass on C is also set up but I do not have the tracks for that one. It now runs west along 560 then north. If you want to ride through Capreol up take the railbed all the way over to Capreol and then get gas there no need to go to Rocky's trail into Rocky's is not groomed. Sunoco in capreol is about 6km out of your way. Take C straight up and avoid 78 it is a mess. Good running north on C excempt the pole line gets a little rough for about 20km, once North of there good running all the way to 3 bears.

You say to get gas in Capreol, but the Sunoco is out of your way. What brand should we be looking for?

I was able to draw the track on my GPS file for our trip. Is the route marked? Specifically are the water crossings staked?

You say to get gas in Capreol, but the Sunoco is out of your way. What brand should we be looking for?

I was able to draw the track on my GPS file for our trip. Is the route marked? Specifically are the water crossings staked?

The Sunoco takes about 5 minutes to get to, the trail now runs the railbed right to Capreol and you come off it on the north side, it is 4.5 km from there to sunoco and easier than going into rocky's for gas if you are running this way over to C, no other option for gas this way. 98 miles from the sunoco to 3 bears taking C up and the re-route across the unstaked lakes(may be staked now), was headed up today but stymied by a failed driveshaft bearing..

Archived