rail line west of Madawaska dead end,,,,,,

cehyoopers

the rail line just west off Madawaska is closed,,,,any update on this????

thanks

Apparently (according to other online reports) the bridge decking on the small bridge east of the village was burnt during the off season.

Wow had not heard that, any news on what is planned for that. HUGE amount of traffic goes east/west there. Not very many options to detour either. Can it be repaired very easily? Any locals know whats up for this season???

Wow had not heard that, any news on what is planned for that. HUGE amount of traffic goes east/west there. Not very many options to detour either. Can it be repaired very easily? Any locals know whats up for this season???

I would say it is closed for a bit,judging by the 40 or so tons of boulders across the trail,but there is a new road going to the right,but they used some pretty big pit run so a lot of snow is needed.I am sorta glad for the reason it is closed,at first I thought it may be a land-owner dispute,although a burnt bridge may suggest someone is not happy,,,,,

although a burnt bridge may suggest someone is not happy,,,,,

Well it could be good ol' vandalism as well. The ONR had to deal w/ a fire on the Moose River bridge south of Moosenee a couple of weeks ago. Rail service was down for 3 days. A 56 year old local resident was charged w/ arson.

although a burnt bridge may suggest someone is not happy,,,,,

Well it could be good ol' vandalism as well. The ONR had to deal w/ a fire on the Moose River bridge south of Moosenee a couple of weeks ago. Rail service was down for 3 days. A 56 year old local resident was charged w/ arson.

a bridge was burned where I ride in Michigan,,,a long time ago,,,,lots of rumours still, :rotflmao:

one rumour was a local bar owner did not want the trail re-routed thereby going around his business,no truth has ever come of that,,,,,so far,,,, :o

One should never burn bridges one may need in the future

two bridges were burnt on the seguin years ago :angry: If you can't do something constructive do not do anything :curse:

it is just sad when this crap goes on,,,, :curse: :angry::banghead:

HUGE amount of traffic goes east/west there. Not very many options to detour either.

A detour between Whitney & Mad' using B106E & MLSS-175 via Lake St. Peter is the shortest way around.

Lots of bored youth in these small towns. They tried to torch the stage beside the Best Western in Bancroft a few years ago.

Not sure what bridge your talking about but the big rail bridge on the Top B at Matawaska will be closed as M.N.R has closed the bridge and will be removing it starting Jan1st . Don't panic thank's to the hard work of a few people in the Opeongo snow birds (Barry's Bay club ),Dist 6 and this club along with the local A.t.v club with help from all forms of goverment are putting up a new bridge but it must be complete by March (low water), that leaves a short time line to remove the old and put up the new. That may also explain the stone as they are getting things on site so it's ready to go.

The bad thing is this year snowmobler's will have to use the hwy bridge . Short term pain for long term gain.

Not sure what bridge your talking about but the big rail bridge on the Top B at Matawaska will be closed as M.N.R has closed the bridge and will be removing it starting Jan1st . Don't panic thank's to the hard work of a few people in the Opeongo snow birds (Barry's Bay club ),Dist 6 and this club along with the local A.t.v club with help from all forms of goverment are putting up a new bridge but it must be complete by March (low water), that leaves a short time line to remove the old and put up the new. That may also explain the stone as they are getting things on site so it's ready to go.

The bad thing is this year snowmobler's will have to use the hwy bridge . Short term pain for long term gain.

The bridge the OP is asking about is a short steel bridge just east of Adventure Lodge (the green cabins along the railbed). The wooden decking was torched.

The bridge the OP is asking about is a short steel bridge just east of Adventure Lodge (the green cabins along the railbed). The wooden decking was torched.

it may be the big bridge,trails is closed about 3 miles west of town????

The big bridge is more or less on the east side of town. Was anyone in the area over the holidays?

I guess a possible detour if the bridge just EAST of Whitney is closed for the season would be as follows (coming from the Haliburton area)

Jump off TOP B onto TOP E south of Eagle Lake

E109 from TOP E to Lake St. Peter

MLSS #173 north & east out of LSP

MLSS #175 north to Madawaska & TOP B

Mind you there used to be a short cut trail that bypassed Whitney to the southeast. It's been several years since it was groomed though.

From what I've heard the detour around the condemned bridge @ Madawaska will entail road running on Hwy 60 across the highway bridge.

The big bridge is more or less on the east side of town. Was anyone in the area over the holidays?

I guess a possible detour if the bridge just EAST of Whitney is closed for the season would be as follows (coming from the Haliburton area)

Mind you there used to be a short cut trail that bypassed Whitney to the southeast. It's been several years since it was groomed though.

From what I've heard the detour around the condemen bridge @ Madawaska will entail road running on Hwy 60 across the highway bridge.

cant be any worse than riding in Pettawawa before they finally put in a new bridge and by pass.No shoulder to run on just pavement right through town .

From what I've heard the detour around the condemen bridge @ Madawaska will entail road running on Hwy 60 across the highway bridge.

cant be any worse than riding in Pettawawa before they finally put in a new bridge and by pass.No shoulder to run on just pavement right through town .

Exactly...I remember that Petawawa issue very clearly from our first RAP trip in the mid-90's. It was brutal!

• 2 weeks later...

I rode up to Whitney & east to the "small" bridge. It has been repaired. It's a combination steel & wood bridge, so it only required replacing the timbers the rails were spiked to.

I rode up to Whitney & east to the "small" bridge. It has been repaired. It's a combination steel & wood bridge, so it only required replacing the timbers the rails were spiked to.

how were the trails,,,,,and how far east did you go????? Any lake running to be had up there???? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

I just turned around east of the bridge. Railbed had been groomed into Whitney & looked good. Damp spots on LSP & only a few tracks, no stake line.

• 3 weeks later...

I heard about the slight detour east of Mad' a few weeks ago (before it was in the Go Snowmobiling mag). What I heard it was a turtle breeding ground. OMG if a turtle is out in this weather it deserves to get run over to improve the genetics of the gene pool.

I've seen turtle egg shells on the sides of roads, we haven't started closing roads because of this have we?

I heard about the slight detour east of Mad' a few weeks ago (before it was in the Go Snowmobiling mag). What I heard it was a turtle breeding ground. OMG if a turtle is out in this weather it deserves to get run over to improve the genetics of the gene pool.

I've seen turtle egg shells on the sides of roads, we haven't started closing roads because of this have we?

Close. I heard we have had permission issues with rallies because of turtle breeding areas.

HUGE amount of traffic goes east/west there. Not very many options to detour either.

A detour between Whitney & Mad' using B106E & MLSS-175 via Lake St. Peter is the shortest way around.

Lots of bored youth in these small towns. They tried to torch the stage beside the Best Western in Bancroft a few years ago.

weatch out though the gas station in Lake St. Peter runs out of gas. Apparently it happens alot. Almost got stuck because we where counting on there to be a gas station.

Nancy at the Porterville diner sometimes has a few cans of fuel,for people that are stuck,,,,, :right_on::right_on: ,may not be a good option,but one more that does not hurt,,,

Archived