Any Suggestions on Helmet Communicators/Radios

Love2Speed

Hi all I'm looking for a helmet communication unit so I can talk to my wife while we are riding (no jokes please ha ha) and was wondering if anyone can offer suggestions on what brand or type to get that won't blow a hole in the pocket. The ones I've seen online at Royal look to be around $500 for a pair?

Thanks in advance

Marc

Keep the rubber side down!

Some on this forum have experience with SnoPhone. Not very positive as I recall. Hopefully they'll chirp in to assist.

Some on this forum have experience with SnoPhone. Not very positive as I recall. Hopefully they'll chirp in to assist.

:coffeespit:

I wonder if there is anything better out there today?

I did some research on getting one last year. From what I found, there are bad ones and there are better ones but for the most part they are ALL a pain in the ass. There is a lot of noise to overcome when you are riding and that is why it is hard to make a good one.

When you're looking for one try to find one that has a manual activated mic that you can perhaps mount the button on the handlebars. The sound activated mics don't work so well when you have their sensitivity adjusted for idle, then you go wide open throttle and it is activated :roll:

One HUGE benefit some of the communicators have is the groomer beacon. I have NO clue if OFSC groomers are equipped with them, but the idea is that when you get within a mile or so of the groomer, your headset will beep. This is definitely an invaluable tool!

I did some research on getting one last year. From what I found, there are bad ones and there are better ones but for the most part they are ALL a pain in the ass. There is a lot of noise to overcome when you are riding and that is why it is hard to make a good one.

When you're looking for one try to find one that has a manual activated mic that you can perhaps mount the button on the handlebars. The sound activated mics don't work so well when you have their sensitivity adjusted for idle, then you go wide open throttle and it is activated :roll:

One HUGE benefit some of the communicators have is the groomer beacon. I have NO clue if OFSC groomers are equipped with them, but the idea is that when you get within a mile or so of the groomer, your headset will beep. This is definitely an invaluable tool!

Very few groomers carry the beacon they were unreliable and expensive .

The one thing that I actually did hear out of those head sets was the groomer beacon and it was a PAIN in the A$$.

If you cannot see the groomer or even know how close you are to one you do NOT need a communicator you need a CLUE!!!!!

Can you hear me

Hellow can you hear me???????

Can you hear me now???????????

Nope, NUFF SAID

We had a pair of Motorola 2-way radios with microphones in the helmets and the microphone control mounted on the handlebar. They actually worked quite well for what they were intended for ... notification of oncoming sleds, sled down, etc. I plan on using them again this season if for no other reason than safety. I know there were a few others on the forum who bought them at the same time and I believe the input from them would be favourable, too.

As Canuck mentioned, SnoPhones were horrible. They were static-y and unreliable for what was advertised ... I would definitely stay away from them.

We use Collet's and after a full season finally got them to the point where they work reasonably well but you really have to work at it to get them installed and adjusted right. Seems like we have good days and bad depending on whether the planets are aligned or something. What I really like about my Snofone is the Bluetooth integration with my iphone for both music and my phone. As a comm unit they are merely ok but they do take some mucking around to get them setup and even then it's a crap shoot. BTW using them with Mod2's.

I use Scala Riders Cardo with my motorcycle and they are awesome but not sure how well they would work in the cold due to the the battery being so exposed. With the Collets the battery is seperate and goes in a pocket to keep warm. I wish Scala would come out with something as we've had great success with these in warm temps.

Anyone have any experience with hard wired systems..i.e. a communicator you would use between you and your passenger on a 2-up? I wouldn't mind one of them if they work any better...

Collett 900 platinums here. Everyone in our Ontario ride group uses one and we have had great results. Like Grapeape said you can't carry on a perfectly normal conversation but you can easily shout out a warning of oncoming sleds, big bumps, sharp turns, got to pee, are we there yet dad?? etc.

Collett 900 platinums here. Everyone in our Ontario ride group uses one and we have had great results. Like Grapeape said you can't carry on a perfectly normal conversation but you can easily shout out a warning of oncoming sleds, big bumps, sharp turns, got to pee, are we there yet dad?? etc.

If you set your expectations low, then they will have some value without disappointment. If you believe the marketing videos and set you expectations based on it, your will most likely be disappointed.

I believe there is a benefit to them in 'large group' rides.

Lead and Last Rider (sweeper) should have one, and sweeper can report to lead if someone in the middle has an issue.

Never travelled with more than 4 guys to Cochrane, etc. so not an issue for us.

I use a Scala Rider Team unit http://www.cardowireless.com/scala_rider_teamset

They are a motorcycle comm system. But they have a great noise control system as most times your going a lot faster on a bike than a sled. Has bluetooth to connect to cell phones or to GPS/MP3 player. I have no problem talking to my son or girlfiend riding behind me, on the trail. They have a 10m range so ok for 2 sled riding but not for groups. I've used them on my 72 TNT, 91 Indy500 and on the 04 GSX. No issue with electronic noise.

The Q2 set has a 500m line of sight range, good for sled to sled for $349 from radio world in Toronto. Any of your sled deallers can get them from Motovan or Parts Canada as well, but I'm sure they cost more.

http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=403_404&filter_id=123

Chatterboxes for me and my group.

Love them, take the time to set them up right and don't expect to talk in long sentences. They work great for quick warnings, or I need to stop, etc

I think they are a great safety feature and don't like riding without them.

FishHog

I'll chime in here. My sister and I have the snofones. (Collett) same as teh 900 without the input for the MP3 player.

We use them all the time. We love them. But we are usually riding together when we use them and we are usually not too far apart. With that being said, they don't work great for leads n sweeps because the distance is too great. You're only good for maybe 2 sleds in between you both.

We had Chatterboxes years ago. I'd have to say they work better than the Snofones by far for distance.

We have modular helmets so we can hear each other clearly. I've tried communicating to others who only have the boom mic and it was difficult to understand them.

Evil

I'll chime in here. My sister and I have the snofones. (Collett) same as teh 900 without the input for the MP3 player.

We use them all the time. We love them. But we are usually riding together when we use them and we are usually not too far apart. With that being said, they don't work great for leads n sweeps because the distance is too great. You're only good for maybe 2 sleds in between you both.

We had Chatterboxes years ago. I'd have to say they work better than the Snofones by far for distance.

We have modular helmets so we can hear each other clearly. I've tried communicating to others who only have the boom mic and it was difficult to understand them.

Evil

The Communicators for the Modular are wired active microphones, the standard boom mic is not active, it is a wire in a tube, like the string between cups theory. This is why Good & Evil have a better experience then most.

Not to mention antiquated technology. Now that the groomers are starting to report their GPS location, snowmobilers are able to see the exact location of the groomer right on the dash of their snowmobile. :)

My wife suggested getting communicators....NOT

It is the one true place where I don't need to hear blabbering on and jibberish.

I love the hum of the machine and don't need to hear somebody chiming in every few feet of travel.

If I want to chat.. I stop. I do carry FRS radios in case of emergency and we get separated. The Motorolas I use have a solid 15KM range through tough terrain.

While I tend to be a technology junkie I have not gotten into the radios yet. I often think they would be good especially when my wife is in the lead and makes a wrong turn on the trail. I tend to stop and wait for ther to realize I'm not behind her. Usually doesn't take long until she turns around and comes back.

We use the ski-doo modular helmets with the rubber (fighter pilot syle) breath deflector that is a snug fit over the mouth and nose and vent tubes out the sides. I do keep looking for communications that would work behind that breath mask and deal with the high humidity from your breath. On a real cold day I get icicles on my moustache. Some o the microphones I have seen are rather thick as well and the tube would put a huge dent in your face if compressed by our breath masks. Anybody have any luck with that type of helmet.

Not to mention antiquated technology. Now that the groomers are starting to report their GPS location, snowmobilers are able to see the exact location of the groomer right on the dash of their snowmobile. :)

Really? How do I get access to that? Just about got groomed last year on a blind curve.

Really? How do I get access to that? Just about got groomed last year on a blind curve.

There was a thread or two from last year about updating the groomer location via GPS. If I recall correctly, SPOT was the device they were using. I cannot seem to find the threads now, but I am sure those who were responsible for that grooming operation can chime in with more details.

After that, you just need some type of computing device to tap into the data. SledJunk is the expert in mounting those to your snowmobile. Looking forward, I do envision the day when snowmobiles come with full screen dashes which will show the trail map, groomer positions, weather reports, etc. along with all of your engine vitals. The technology is already here right now, so I feel it is inevitable in the next few years. *

* This is also why I believe the OFSC needs to make official GPS data available now so that all of the services are already ready for the snowmobiles of the future. It is about much, much more than duplicating a paper map.

4 of us had snofones- Garbage two guys had platnium 900's somewhat better than the snofones but not much The 900's and the snofones did not work well together noisey can't understand half the time what anyone was trying to say. None of us use one now sitting in the basement collecting dust. Too much of a pain in the ass. Also one guy had problems with his, Collet was terrible for customer service we ended up fixing it ourselves even though it was under warranty. All in all a big waste of money

But if you looking for a snofone I can get a great deal on one or two still like brand new LOL.

Archived