Any Suggestions on Helmet Communicators/Radios

Love2Speed

Really? How do I get access to that? Just about got groomed last year on a blind curve.

There was a thread or two from last year about updating the groomer location via GPS. If I recall correctly, SPOT was the device they were using. I cannot seem to find the threads now, but I am sure those who were responsible for that grooming operation can chime in with more details.

After that, you just need some type of computing device to tap into the data. SledJunk is the expert in mounting those to your snowmobile. Looking forward, I do envision the day when snowmobiles come with full screen dashes which will show the trail map, groomer positions, weather reports, etc. along with all of your engine vitals. The technology is already here right now, so I feel it is inevitable in the next few years. *

* This is also why I believe the OFSC needs to make official GPS data available now so that all of the services are already ready for the snowmobiles of the future. It is about much, much more than duplicating a paper map.

Nav systems are fairly common for cars now, won't be long before they are offered on sleds I expect. What's another couple of grand anyways :lol:

Really? How do I get access to that? Just about got groomed last year on a blind curve.

There was a thread or two from last year about updating the groomer location via GPS. If I recall correctly, SPOT was the device they were using. I cannot seem to find the threads now, but I am sure those who were responsible for that grooming operation can chime in with more details.

After that, you just need some type of computing device to tap into the data. SledJunk is the expert in mounting those to your snowmobile. Looking forward, I do envision the day when snowmobiles come with full screen dashes which will show the trail map, groomer positions, weather reports, etc. along with all of your engine vitals. The technology is already here right now, so I feel it is inevitable in the next few years. *

Scary scary... in another thread there were comments about what happened to the basic reasonably priced sled. They just don't exist anymore. The typical sled these days seems to cost the same as or more than a compact car. I can just imagine what the cost would be for a sled that has the electronic trail map, weather reports etc all in the dash. Not a problem... just eat Kraft Dinner a lot more to pay for sledding... OOOPS we do that now... steak for dinner or gas for the sled... I guess gas for the sled.

* This is also why I believe the OFSC needs to make official GPS data available now so that all of the services are already ready for the snowmobiles of the future. It is about much, much more than duplicating a paper map.

My wife suggested getting communicators....NOT

It is the one true place where I don't need to hear blabbering on and jibberish.

I love the hum of the machine and don't need to hear somebody chiming in every few feet of travel.

If I want to chat.. I stop. I do carry FRS radios in case of emergency and we get separated. The Motorolas I use have a solid 15KM range through tough terrain.

Did you ever think that maybe the feeling is mutual :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::coffeenose:

I have been using the HJC Chatterbox communicators for about 7 yrs and are happy with them. They are handy to advise your riding partner of on coming sleds or hazards on the trail but they only work well if you are fairly close within km. The wire to the mike and speakers is fairly small and prone to breaking but if you are carefull with them they do the job. Have replaced the mike and speakers a couple of times over the years but no issues with the communicators. Mine are the older HJC -90 models and have been told the newer models work a little better.

I can just imagine what the cost would be for a sled that has the electronic trail map, weather reports etc all in the dash.

You can have it now for a few hundred dollars. New snowmobiles all come equipped with computers already anyway, so it is not like that is any kind of novel idea. The manufactures m?i?g?h?t?will try to gouge you on the system, but when you consider the parts that are no longer needed, the actual cost should be minimal and becoming increasingly cheaper as each year passes.

I can just imagine what the cost would be for a sled that has the electronic trail map, weather reports etc all in the dash.

You can have it now for a few hundred dollars. New snowmobiles all come equipped with computers already anyway, so it is not like that is any kind of novel idea. The manufactures m?i?g?h?t?will try to gouge you on the system, but when you consider the parts that are no longer needed, the actual cost should be minimal and becoming increasingly cheaper as each year passes.

Should be... look at the cost of a navigation system in a new car... anywhere from $1000.00 to $2,000.00 as a factory option.

Should be... look at the cost of a navigation system in a new car... anywhere from $1000.00 to $2,000.00 as a factory option.

Even if that is how it turns out, like cars, there will still be snowmobiles without the feature. So I'm not exactly sure what is scary about it?

• 4 weeks later...
snowmobilers are able to see the exact location of the groomer right on the dash of their snowmobile. :)

Almost happened when I was a yoot :lol: .

Someone mentioned the Cardo Scalarider Q2 above. It seems to address both sled to sled and driver to passenger.

Archived